VOGONS

Common searches

Timidity++ and DosBox?

Topic actions

First post, by marooned_on_mars

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

How could I make those two run under Windows XP? I have managed to make Timidity use GUS`s original patches and it worked, not I need just to make DosBox use it instead of the MS Mapper. I`ve been successful with this on Ubuntu linux but unfortunately DosBox is quite slow under it 🙁

Reply 1 of 26, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

does it timidity++ run on windows at all ?
if it does. look at which number it appears if you type mixer /listmidi in dosbox.
add that number to the config= line in dosbox.conf

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 3 of 26, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You need to run tmsynth (the synthetizer) and midiyoke (to plug the MIDI output to the input of tmsynth).

I have traveled across the universe and through the years to find Her.
Sometimes going all the way is just a start...

I'm selling some stuff!

Reply 4 of 26, by marooned_on_mars

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have 3 exececutables in my Timidity folder: tim32g.exe; twsyng.exe and twsynsrw.exe . I don`t know which one to start, I have just installed midiyoke by now (I never used it, so some advice is appreciated)

Reply 5 of 26, by marooned_on_mars

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Sorry for double-post but I found a nice guide on how to use Timidity as default, take a look here: http://forums.scummvm.org/viewtopic.php?p=33587

Reply 7 of 26, by marooned_on_mars

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yes, so we require a faster computer v_v. Also when using MT-32 option in some games the music can go really weird and choppy. Ah well, still nothing beats Munt 😜

Reply 8 of 26, by porjay

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey there,

I was wondering if you could guide me through on getting dos box to use MIDI Yoke as its default midi device?

I have have got trimity++ MIDI Yoke working using soundfonts in both winamp and media player etc.. so it is correctly setup as my default midi device in vista. I just need help getting Dosbox to see MIDI yoke as my default midi device.

I am using D-fend reloaded as my frontend. I do not have a soundcard this is all onboard sound from my motherboard. What settings do I need to tell dosbox to use my midi device (midi yoke) cheers!

midiqh7.jpg

Reply 9 of 26, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Lines 543-564 in the README file explains it all.

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 10 of 26, by porjay

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Cheers got it. My fix: (I missed few posts above to tell doxbox list the midi devices)

Inside of normal doxbox I type "mixer /listmidi" it showed all of my midi devices and the number corresponding with it. I saw no.9 Timidity driver

So I went into the dosbox.conf and searched "config=" and put the number one so it looks like "config=9". Now dosbox is using my Timidity++ as my default general midi sound card.

Thanks MiniMax.

Reply 11 of 26, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

I assume you could also have put that "config=1" in the Additional settings box in DFR.

Reply 12 of 26, by porjay

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yes under "additional settings" in D-Fend reloaded is the config= command in the dosbox.conf. I could have chosen 1 for "out to midi yoke: 1" which is what I have set midi yoke and Trimidity++ to. But I saw Timidity++ driver as no.9 which I cannot completely remember how I got that there but I knew selecting it as my default midi device would guarantee to run through my timidity synth.

Cool man hearing the music in a new setting really brings the game alive. Thanks for helping me out. Do you use this setup MiniMax if so what soundfont do you use? Currently i'm using the unison.

Reply 13 of 26, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Nope, too complicate for me. I have never bothered to figure out how GUS stuff works. Always use this MPU-401 thingy or the SB emulation.

Reply 14 of 26, by Galve2000

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

sorry to resurect a long-dead thread, but i'm just starting this journy, trying to get higher quality software wavetable synthesys than is available- from the Microsft software synth."

Trying to do this in Windows Vista is an even bigger pain b/c the MIDI Mapper conrols have mysteriously disapeared 🙁

however, i'ved one a bunch of reading and have been able to restore them to their rightful place.

however, installing this version of TiMidity++ windows synthesizer(TWSYNTH), i am still unable to hear any sounds (tho i do hear soem cracking) when sellecting TiMidity++ as the Default MIDI music playback device in Windows Vista.

i have not installed MidiYoke b/c i read here that MidiYoke is not necessary if I usee the TiMidity driver

however when I try to run my games in DOSBox, i only hear sound when I have my MIDI output in Windows set to Sigmatel HD Audio Codec (which repersents my onboard audio card). If I select TiMidity, i get only crackling...

I think the problem is that my version of DOSBox does not recognize MIDI audio and simply reverts to SoundBlaster type audio.

Minimax says,

Lines 543-564 in the README file explains it all.

but I don't know which README file he is refering to.

I guess i could try MidiYoke, but i susoect it wont help in this case as DosBox doesnt know what TiMidi is in any case.

Coudl you guys point me in teh right direction?

Thanks in advance fro takking the time to reply.

cmm3

Reply 17 of 26, by porjay

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Not sure if you have tried this but located in the timidity folder is an exe called "twsyng.exe".

Open that up it will sit in your task bar
right click configure it to use your current config
then start the synthesizer.

I recommend getting the unison.sf2 soundfont one the best soundfonts for both gaming and listening to midi music,

Reply 18 of 26, by Galve2000

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I think TiMidity++ was working all along.

When I have Timidity selected as the MIDI output device and select the Roland MT-32, Mt-100, LAPC-I audio source instead of "General MIDI for Roland MPU MIDI interface" while running my older sierra games, something really strange happens:

these games take as long as 15 or 20 minutes to load.

when I chose the General MIDI audio while using Timidity, there is no real lag at all.

when i select the same Roland MT-32, MT-100... track while using the Mircosoft General MIDI Synth as the output, these same games have a very slight (tho noticable) lag.

This is basically how I know if i am using the Timidity or the Microsoft GenMIDI Synth..

I wonder, however, why is it that there is such a big lag when using the Roland MT-32 audio source and not when using the "General MIDI for Roland" source.

I have read that Timidity might take a while to laod the soundfont, but i wonder why it takes a while to load said soundfonts when i select Roland Audio but not Gen MIDI audio... any ideas?

Incidentally, I prefer the Generla MIDI source although I will say that the MT-32 audio source sounds much closer to the Adlib/SB source (though obviously much more realistic and "richer"). Also, the Roland MT-32 track is supperior when it comes to the occasional MIDI generated sound effects like the sounding of a horn or the chime when points are earned, or the clanking of coins, to name a few.

finally, after a few happy hours playing my old sierra gamess last night using TiMidity, i booted up my system this morning and for some reason, Timidity++ Driver is not longer an option for Default MIDI output device in control panel. the strange thing is that in dosbox, when I type "mixer /listmidi" it lists both Timidity++ (in position 0) and Microsft GM Soft Synth (position 1)

i like to be able to switch back and forth between the 2 MIDI synths, and have not yet tried playing some of my older Windows games. i want to see what they sound like using Timidity, but dont know that i'll be able to chose it as an output given that its not an option in the MIDI mapper.

any idea what might be going on?

thanks in advance for taking the time to reply.

Reply 19 of 26, by porjay

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Vista Midi Picker:
http://www.softpedia.com/get/Multimedia/Audio … DI-Picker.shtml

I'm not sure where you are choosing your midi devices in vista but I use this program switching between General Midi and Midi Yoke 1 (you would have Timidity Driver ++ instead).

As far as your roland problem I am still trying to bend my head around as to what you are actually doing. Are you using a a real Roland Mt-32 and telling dosbox to use?

My Timidity loads soundfonts pretty much in an instant if I am using a large soundfont (+200Mb) I will notice minimum 1 second delay before the song starts as it is loading all the instruments.

Well anyway I'm little confused as to what you are actually doing and what you are selecting to apply these configurations etc..