VOGONS


First post, by yeokm1

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Newbie

Now Windows 98/2000 can interface with the modern xHCI USB host controller and talk to USB devices (at USB 2.0 speeds).

Sometime in the mid 2010s, Intel broke compatibility with the previous USB host standards by mandating USB 3.0 xHCI and no longer supporting older USB standards.

This meant that older operating systems lost all USB functionality even if they could be installed on modern machines. The OS will work, but you cannot connect anything to it. Even USB 1 and 2 ports and devices will not work.

The BIOS can emulate certain devices like USB keyboard, mouse and storage to some degree but they are not hotpluggable and do not support more complex devices.

I decided to create a more generic solution.

https://yeokhengmeng.com/2026/08/xhci98-usb-host-driver/
https://github.com/yeokm1/xhci98

Reply 1 of 7, by mwdmeyer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Saw this on reddit, super cool. Starred, will play with it later. Great work.

Vogons Wiki - http://vogonswiki.com

Reply 2 of 7, by sdz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Awesome stuff, thank you!

Reply 3 of 7, by yeokm1

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Newbie

Even with AI's help, this is still ultimately a solo effort unlike commercial xHCI drivers which have plenty more resources dedicated to development and testing.

I have only tested on 2x Intel laptops so far. So bugs may not be unexpected.

Reply 4 of 7, by onethirdxcubed

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Member

Seems that this project is LLM Assisted. Just need to make that clear according to the forum rules.

That said, this is a great new development and I'm excited to try it out on my ThinkCenter with only USB 3 ports to see how it works.

Reply 5 of 7, by yeokm1

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Newbie
onethirdxcubed wrote on 2026-08-31, 12:55:

Seems that this project is LLM Assisted. Just need to make that clear according to the forum rules.

That said, this is a great new development and I'm excited to try it out on my ThinkCenter with only USB 3 ports to see how it works.

Understood. I missed that rule out. I should have mentioned in my first post.

My blog post and Github repo readme disclosed that too.

Reply 6 of 7, by SweetLow

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Newbie

I tested my laptop with a Core Gen 8 (xHCI controller only) – it works (the mouse and flash drive checked).

So, based on the 2025-2026 season, I'm calling this period the Year of Plenty for Windows 9x! 😀

We now have drivers for NVMe, HD Audio, and xHCI (in varying states of readiness, but they're finally here), plus a bonus – second version of the VESA video driver and OPL3 emulator. And this is 30 years after the series' debut! But the most surprising thing is that new developers have emerged, before this Year all was sad.
By the way, we've almost managed to get Windows XP for the supported hardware; it was always, at least slightly, ahead.

And the last but not least - @yeokm1, congratulations! And wishes, of course - don't stop here, try to make driver more universal and do the Super-Speed support.

Reply 7 of 7, by yeokm1

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Newbie
SweetLow wrote on 2026-09-04, 07:32:
I tested my laptop with a Core Gen 8 (xHCI controller only) – it works (the mouse and flash drive checked). […]
Show full quote

I tested my laptop with a Core Gen 8 (xHCI controller only) – it works (the mouse and flash drive checked).

So, based on the 2025-2026 season, I'm calling this period the Year of Plenty for Windows 9x! 😀

We now have drivers for NVMe, HD Audio, and xHCI (in varying states of readiness, but they're finally here), plus a bonus – second version of the VESA video driver and OPL3 emulator. And this is 30 years after the series' debut! But the most surprising thing is that new developers have emerged, before this Year all was sad.
By the way, we've almost managed to get Windows XP for the supported hardware; it was always, at least slightly, ahead.

And the last but not least - @yeokm1, congratulations! And wishes, of course - don't stop here, try to make driver more universal and do the Super-Speed support.

Hi Sweetlow. Thanks for your kind words!

For more hardware support, I got requests to check on modern AMD systems as that is the next most hardware class for this after Intel. I will see what can be done as currently my sole AMD system, my modern AM5 desktop is tied up.

As for Super-speed support, I would want to also especially for mass-storage. I have some premliminary ideas about how this can be done without having to rewrite the entire USB HCD which will be a significant time-consuming effort even with AI assistance. I will have to investigate more in my free time but I can't promise anything yet.