VOGONS


First post, by Zuofu

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Newbie

I was building a late Windows 98 early XP era computer (e.g. from around 2003) and I noticed that connected to my RetroTink 4K, the ATI Radeon 9800 Pro I was using reports all the DOS modes (480p, 400p, mode X and mode Y) as 1024x768. It occurs to me that this board has a reprogrammed VBIOS, presumably because by 2003s LCDs were becoming more common. I remember also that historically there was a way to modify the VBIOS of certain Matrox video cards to do something similar - I had a 21" workstation CRT back in the day that I used with a specific Matrox G200 because it would not sync with horizontal frequencies lower than around 50kHz (it was designed for a Unix X terminal).

Is there a generic utility (for Matrox cards or other commonly obtainable PCI video cards) that let you modify the DOS video timings? That would be useful for a specific VGA downscaler I'm using to drive a PVM.

Reply 1 of 3, by Mov AX, 0xDEAD

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Newbie
Zuofu wrote on 2026-09-07, 17:41:

I was building a late Windows 98 early XP era computer (e.g. from around 2003) and I noticed that connected to my RetroTink 4K, the ATI Radeon 9800 Pro I was using reports all the DOS modes (480p, 400p, mode X and mode Y) as 1024x768.

1) Check with other ATI 96xx/97xx/98xx card
2) May be problem is RetroTink 4K(config ?), it doesn't report legacy videomodes, so VBIOS made decision to enable zoom anything to 1024x768 like all modern PCI-E video cards

What way you see "reports current mode" ?

Reply 2 of 3, by Zuofu

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Newbie
Mov AX, 0xDEAD wrote on 2026-09-07, 18:15:
1) Check with other ATI 96xx/97xx/98xx card 2) May be problem is RetroTink 4K(config ?), it doesn't report legacy videomodes, so […]
Show full quote
Zuofu wrote on 2026-09-07, 17:41:

I was building a late Windows 98 early XP era computer (e.g. from around 2003) and I noticed that connected to my RetroTink 4K, the ATI Radeon 9800 Pro I was using reports all the DOS modes (480p, 400p, mode X and mode Y) as 1024x768.

1) Check with other ATI 96xx/97xx/98xx card
2) May be problem is RetroTink 4K(config ?), it doesn't report legacy videomodes, so VBIOS made decision to enable zoom anything to 1024x768 like all modern PCI-E video cards

What way you see "reports current mode" ?

It's not really a problem, in fact I want to duplicate this behavior on an older period-correct VGA card (e.g. one from 1995). I think I know what the Radeon 9800 is doing though, it's remapping all the DOS modes to XGA (1024x768x60Hz), probably because it didn't trust the built in scaling for monitors of the time. For example, here's Quake running at 320x200 on the 9800 Pro:

The attachment 20260907_140044.jpg is no longer available

Here's quake running on a period correct VGA card (S3 Vision 968):

The attachment 20260907_135519.jpg is no longer available

It's hard to tell, but my VGA->SDTV encoder cannot center the proper 320x200x70 Hz image, but it can center the 1024x768x60Hz image. Therefore, I would like to replicate this behavior with the PCI video card as well.

Now that I look at it some more, it seems that merely remapping 70Hz to 60Hz is probably sufficient for my TV encoder to be centered.

Reply 3 of 3, by Zuofu

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Newbie
Zuofu wrote on 2026-09-07, 19:07:

Now that I look at it some more, it seems that merely remapping 70Hz to 60Hz is probably sufficient for my TV encoder to be centered.

I tried an experiment using 'VGA60HZ.COM', which although it works, still doesn't allow the image to be centered/full screen on my PVM. It basically treats it as a 640x480 image now, but the vertical scaling doesn't make up those 40 missing lines (e.g. it's always treating it as 320x240 with 40 black lines). I think somehow the Radeon 9800 is internally scaling all DOS video modes to 1024x768x60.