VOGONS


First post, by Xero

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Newbie

I recently acquired an Abit BH6 v1.2 and I'd thought that by being >=1.1 revision board, that a Via C3 would just drop in and work, like it did on my slightly newer BF6.. However - that couldn't have been further from the truth - it would boot and display "BsG" on the CPU identification line, and then just hang.

As it turned out, the bios did have some primitive support for the older Cyrix-branded chips, but the newer Via chips like Ezra and Nehemiah would cause this hang on boot. The initial "BsG" problem I was able to get Claude to fix in a round or two, however, it would still throw a warning about cpu mismatch, and the SoftMenu settings wouldn't stick, leaving it at 66mhz FSB no matter what.. I ended up making a dozen attempts to fix this with Claude, before throwing the new GPT-6 Astra at it to review - and it found the issue was actually happening earlier than what Claude had been poking at. I ended up coming up with this whole workflow where it would launch modbin in dosbox, and I'd navigate in there to save it, then it would write it out to a floppy for me.

Needless to say, many rounds of flashing later, and the bios now properly identifies the CPU, and retains the FSB/multiplier/etc settings correctly. This board, while older than my BF6, and doesn't have nearly as beefy of a regulator section, makes up for it by having two ISA slots instead of the one. I'm pretty happy that my LLMs got this working, and thought I'd share it here for anyone else who might find it useful:

https://github.com/LXXero/bh6-c3-bios