VOGONS


First post, by Saekita <3

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Newbie

I've spent days and evening with this. I'm near to get a hammer and smash all the "retro PC" with the fury of Hulk!

I have a VL600 with DOS 6.2 and 2 ISA expansion. I do have three soundcards:
CT1600 ( SoundBlaster PRO 2) only midi.
CT4380 ( AWE64 ) only midi.
AV305 (Unknown manufacturer with CS4231A-KL chip) no sound, nothing at all.

The problem is, while i've been able to get MIDI of the 2 soundblaster, the sound effects DOES NOT WORKS by never. I'm setting by default the ports at 220, 5, 1.... I've revised the card's jumper thousands of times.... Not care about how I set all the ports, IRQ and so on in the doom setup, there will NOT be shoot or efects, only MIDI music and NO MORE than only MUSIC-.
(Other games, don't sound too. Only MIDI seems to work. I discard hardware failure as it's so strangely both are broken on the same thing. That must be a config issue)

I guess I've installed the driver correctly or I guess so... but this is terribly difficult to someone who started using DOS nearly, and even to those who used DOS at the 90's and even they couldn't help me. Let see if vogons do it better.

About the third card, an strange AV305, this does not sound anything- Seems alive as the speakers pops when pc restarts, but no more.

Reply 1 of 10, by akimmet

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Member

The trouble may be with the main board, instead of the sound cards.

Do you mean a HP Vectra VL600?

If so, it is incompatible with ISA DMA. A sound blaster or compatible will not work.

FIC KC19+ (HP OEM) Motherboard Slot 1 with RDRAM

Reply 2 of 10, by Saekita <3

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Newbie
akimmet wrote on 2026-09-26, 19:20:
The trouble may be with the main board, instead of the sound cards. […]
Show full quote

The trouble may be with the main board, instead of the sound cards.

Do you mean a HP Vectra VL600?

If so, it is incompatible with ISA DMA. A sound blaster or compatible will not work.

FIC KC19+ (HP OEM) Motherboard Slot 1 with RDRAM

Wow, that was fast, and incredible. So huge archive got here!
Exactly this, it's a strange vectra featuring rare RAMBUS instead of common SDRAM, 2 isa slots, MGA agp included.... Seems sort of a workstation PC or some strange kind of it, thought I could mount a "retro PC" with this, now i see it can't be.... It brought Windows NT 4 ... Maybe aimed to graphic design or some, it didn't bring the original HDD so idk really which was its use before.

Now, it will change some if I install W98 on it? Keeping the SBPRO16.
It brings an integrated soundcard I disabled on BIOS, the CS4280-CM . Can I use this integrated soundcard under DOS? There are drivers for it? Could I use this soundcard under W98 to get digital effects? Maybe the synthwave sucks, or not, seems better than late PCI soundblasters which emulated midi, that sounds awful and depressive

Reply 3 of 10, by akimmet

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Member

The onboard CS4280 sound has a decent OPL3 compatable synth.

There are DOS drivers that exist for that chip, but I do not know how well they will work with your system. Win98 should not be a problem.

Some people have had success configuring a sound card to DMA 3 on that motherboard. It might be worth one more try.

Reply 4 of 10, by Saekita <3

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Newbie
akimmet wrote on 2026-09-26, 21:09:

The onboard CS4280 sound has a decent OPL3 compatable synth.

There are DOS drivers that exist for that chip, but I do not know how well they will work with your system. Win98 should not be a problem.

Some people have had success configuring a sound card to DMA 3 on that motherboard. It might be worth one more try.

So I can't use the wave effects on an ISA soundblaster but I can use them on the onboard Crystal? Wow, how's that so? Can you find the drivers for it?

Or maybe should I forget and go right into the W98

Reply 5 of 10, by akimmet

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Member

Since the onboard sound is connected to the PCI bus, don't expect too much DOS compatibility wise.

Windows 98 is probably going to be the easiest route to get the onboard sound working.

Reply 6 of 10, by Saekita <3

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Newbie

Acknowledged. Maybe we should clear this thread then, and continue in the kc19+ one

Reply 7 of 10, by Saekita <3

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Newbie
akimmet wrote on 2026-09-26, 21:09:

The onboard CS4280 sound has a decent OPL3 compatable synth.

There are DOS drivers that exist for that chip, but I do not know how well they will work with your system. Win98 should not be a problem.

Some people have had success configuring a sound card to DMA 3 on that motherboard. It might be worth one more try.

How's that success?
I've went with W98SE. Everything seems correctly intalled.
The onboard does NOT sound in any game. It's installed as I can hear wave and midi on win, but not music of games. I've installed driver and CrystalWave Synthesizer, anyways it does not sound ANYTHING in DOS games. It, of course, plays midi files alone, but games do not get it as a card.

What to do now?

Reply 8 of 10, by Pino

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Member

If you read the other topic mentioned here people say DMA 3 works, so you should try it.

Reply 9 of 10, by Saekita <3

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Newbie
Pino wrote on Yesterday, 18:09:

If you read the other topic mentioned here people say DMA 3 works, so you should try it.

Here? where ?
I've digged a bit in the searcher but threads don't clear it up at all or even don't have any answer. And the setup of another people is different. I've just installed the driver and it does not sound, i don't know what's the next step for it as im not experimented on computers

Reply 10 of 10, by Saekita <3

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Newbie
Pino wrote on Yesterday, 18:09:

If you read the other topic mentioned here people say DMA 3 works, so you should try it.

Ah, you mean the fic kc19 thread.... i've already asked there, let's see if someone knows