VOGONS


First post, by Estel Randir

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Newbie

I am no expert at all the ins and outs of configuring dosbox, but I have spent a few decades and endless hours trying to get these old relics to run on Win95 and later. Today was a new one to me. The Ishar rpg series: the midi music playback is tied to cpu cycles. So if the cycles are set to high, they will not run. Took me more hrs than I want to admit before I discovered this. These are the first games I have ran into this issue. I spent hours reconfiguring the settings, comparing old & new versions of dosbox, why is it running in 0.74-3 with defend reloaded and not DBGL or DefendX. Why did it run with 0.74-3 and not doxbox-x???? at least 5 or 6 internet searches did not reveal anything useful (thanks google AI summaries). I finally happened upon something that made me compare the cpu cycles of my new installs vs the one old install on outdated dosbox & its front end. After much running my head into the wal, they all work now. And it is not even consistant what will work from game to game. Ishar 2 will work fine as auto cpu. Ishar 3 will not (15,000 cycles worked). Lol.

Reply 1 of 1, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Estel Randir wrote on Today, 02:26:

Why did it run with 0.74-3 and not doxbox-x????

Diving headfirst into feature bulletpoints usually gives negligence to regression testing...

(also the slopbot doesn't help.)

apsosig.png
long live PCem
FUCK "AI". It is a tool of fascism. We do not need it. We do not use it.
Debian's fucked