VOGONS


What modern activity did you get up to today?

Topic actions

Reply 1760 of 1762, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Debating on a price to try to sell a b350, r5 5500x3d, 1x16gb 3600, 1tb nvme ssd, 850watt PSU, rtx 2060 S 8gb system.

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 1761 of 1762, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Shooting from the hip, I'd say the sell it quick low ball end is $500, and market could bear $800 if you are more patient.

Edit: yeah messing around with PCPartPicker choosing lowest "brand name you've heard of" components it's around a $1000 new build. I generally figure, few years old stuff, out of warranty is worth ~50% , quite new but used stuff max of 80%, NIB month old stuff, with receipts to be worth 90%. So my initial guesses pan out according to my logic. You'd have to make special cases or adjust for premium versions of components. But, say you'd got a cheap everything and somehow a $300 cooler, the value of the cooler is not gonna be realised to actually SELL the system, buyer is not gonna go even $100 over value of similar systems, it basically means he puts you first on the list at similar prices. In that sort of scenario, you'd do better to swap the halo product out for cheap generic and sell separately.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 1762 of 1762, by lti

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Member

With all of the health stuff going on, I haven't had the strength or mental capacity to do much. I've even lost motor control, so it's difficult to type or use a mouse. Using touchscreens (such as my phone) is impossible. I haven't slept well in months either, and I think that's a symptom, not the cause of how poorly I feel. The doctors around here are idiots and just tell me that nothing is wrong with me, but they can prescribe sleeping pills for the insomnia.

I still haven't tried to reapply the undervolt to my Ryzen, but it didn't help enough for me.

I tried upgrading the shitty Toshiba laptop from Lubuntu 22.04 to a newer version. Apparently Ubuntu 24.04 and newer won't display the GRUB boot menu on a non-UEFI system unless you hold down Shift while booting, which makes dual-booting annoying. In the process of trying to get the menu to always appear like it used to, manually running update-grub (instead of being triggered by an update) somehow broke something related to graphics where the entire Internet insists that the only solution is to reinstall the proprietary Nvidia driver. This system does not have Nvidia graphics, and even if it did, the GPU would be too old to be supported by the proprietary driver anyway. At that point, I didn't have the energy to figure out what happened, so I reinstalled. Fortunately, the new Internet lets me download ISOs in minutes instead of hours. I also got a second modem configured as a WiFi extender, and it also works as an Ethernet to WiFi bridge to bypass the shitty Realtek WiFi card that computer has (a card that was abnormally slow when it was new).

The other modern activity is the ridiculous amount of political spam text messages I've been getting. They come from a different number every time, so you can't block them. I get several a day.