VOGONS

Glide and A3D

Topic actions

First post, by rumbadumba

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Some things have been puzzling me, I wondered if someone more knowledgeable could help (I think I maybe knew the answers once upon a time):

- do modern sound cards with A3D support do basically what an Aureal Vortex 2 would do? In other words, if I get an X-Fi can it replace the A3D functionality of a Vortex 2 without loss of quality?

- my perception was that glide rendering often looked better than directx rendering (eg. diablo 2). Does that make sense? Does it depend on the game? What about opengl vs glide?

- what's the relationship between glide and opengl? Is/was glide a subset of opengl (or am I getting confused by the opengl32.dll from 3dfx)?

Reason for these questions is I am wondering what bits of hardware I can rationalise, without rebuilding the system several times and trying to remember how things looked and sounded on different hardware (though I guess if I can't recall differences they aren't big enough to worry about).

Reply 1 of 5, by Davros

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

1.no doesnt sound as good and only a vortex 2 will do a3d 2.0
2. depends on the game
3. opengl games generally look identicle to glide games
4. 3dfx used a mingl they didnt support all the opengl commands, but enough of them for games

Guardian of the Sacred Five Terabyte's of Gaming Goodness

Reply 2 of 5, by GL1zdA

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
rumbadumba wrote:

- what's the relationship between glide and opengl? Is/was glide a subset of opengl (or am I getting confused by the opengl32.dll from 3dfx)?

3dfx's OpenGL implementation (MiniGL) was a very thin wrapper around Glide (it didn't implement all calls, MiniGL basically was a subset of OpenGL used by GLQuake).

getquake.gif | InfoWorld/PC Magazine Indices

Reply 3 of 5, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
rumbadumba wrote:

Some things have been puzzling me, I wondered if someone more knowledgeable could help (I think I maybe knew the answers once upon a time):

- do modern sound cards with A3D support do basically what an Aureal Vortex 2 would do?

Modern sound cards doesn't support A3D 2.0 while Aureal Vortex 2 does, so it all depends on the game. If the game demands A3D 2.0, it will definitely sound better on an Aureal Vortex 2.

On the other hand, I don't think there are too many games demand A3D 2.0. I wish there's some sort of list out there.

rumbadumba wrote:

- my perception was that glide rendering often looked better than directx rendering (eg. diablo 2). Does that make sense? Does it depend on the game? What about opengl vs glide?

If the game support both Direct3D and GLide, usually the GLide version looks better.

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 4 of 5, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

In Diablo 2's case, 3d cards at the time had slow texture caching/upload for Direct3D and voodoo hardware was still popular to use in 2000, plus there's the fact that Diablo 2 was in development since 1997 so Glide technology adoption was quite early and more mature than their own whatever-late-in-development Direct3D renderer implementation

The Unreal engine games hardly made a difference between Glide and D3D.

Though one really strong difference performancewise is Tribes. Tribes was really slow in OpenGL at lightmap texture uploads even on very good hardware

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 5 of 5, by rumbadumba

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Does Diablo 2 use A3D 2.0? Can't tell from web searches - all I have found is that Aureal said it would before it was released, but all the actual software says is that it supports Aureal 3D.