VOGONS

Back to AWE32 from AWE64?

Topic actions

First post, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Is there ANY substantial reason to revert back to an AWE32 from an AWE64, in terms of the AWE32's features or advantages?

The ability of expanding the RAM using the 30-pin SIMMS is a very big plus for AWE32. On the other hand, it is frustrating when it comes to AWE64's proprietary memory expansion boards. ( Though I do have the 8MB board for my AWE64 Gold.)

But what about the audio playback? Is AWE64 much better in terms of clarity when compared to the AWE32?

I've also read in WIKIpedia that AWE64 has better or cleaner sounds than AWE32. Anybody can concur with this statement?

And are there any differences when listening to the digital sounds via the S/PDIF interface of the AWE64 and AWE32?

I'm ordering an AWE32 CT3980, just for nostalgic and historical collection purposes. I might set up another Vintage system.
Already received my 32MB 30-pin SIMMS for use with it.

Reply 1 of 26, by dh4rm4

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I can think of one, no more crappy 32 software midi synth channels. I can think of another, even though you can only use 24MB, the SIMMS on the AWE32 allow for much better soundfonts.

I hated my AWE64 for the 8MB limit and never upgraded it, bye the time I could afford to I went to SB Live!

Reply 2 of 26, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Re: ordering a CT3980 - good choice! This model, to my ears anyway, sounded the best of all the AWEs that I tested (and that includes the AWE64). I think you'll be really happy with it. (In fact, I ordered one too very recently, as a "back up". Perhaps we both bought from the same seller in the US, who has I think over 20 left in stock.)

Reply 3 of 26, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
dh4rm4 wrote:

I can think of one, no more crappy 32 software midi synth channels. I can think of another, even though you can only use 24MB, the SIMMS on the AWE32 allow for much better soundfonts.

I hated my AWE64 for the 8MB limit and never upgraded it, bye the time I could afford to I went to SB Live!

Right on. The extra MBs provide space for better SFs.

retro games 100 wrote:

Re: ordering a CT3980 - good choice! This model, to my ears anyway, sounded the best of all the AWEs that I tested (and that includes the AWE64). I think you'll be really happy with it. (In fact, I ordered one too very recently, as a "back up". Perhaps we both bought from the same seller in the US, who has I think over 20 left in stock.)

Wow. That's good news. Anyway, just received my card. It comes in its original box. Yes, complete with the box, including all the software diskettes still in the factory protective bags. The Vienna software diskettes and other additional software diskettes were still unopened from it's polythene bag! The user has taken good care of the card. It looks very new.

Hehehe...and the "back up" thing is interesting. 😁

It's good to hear at least 2 supporters holding up AWE32 above AWE64!

Reply 4 of 26, by Amigaz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
retro games 100 wrote:

What's this sellers name?
I'm tempted to get one too 😳

My retro computer stuff: https://lychee.jjserver.net/#16136303902327

Reply 5 of 26, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hiya,

They are on ebay.com, and they are called "ultradrives", and they are based in the US.

The item title description is:

"Creative CT3980 Sound Blaster AWE32 PnP ISA Sound Card"

Item number = 330244315413

Malik, please can you confirm - are these the same sellers where you bought your CT3980 from? Thanks. 😀

Reply 6 of 26, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
retro games 100 wrote:

Malik, please can you confirm - are these the same sellers where you bought your CT3980 from? Thanks.

Uh...no...his ebay id name is "cyberswatt".

Reply 7 of 26, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ah! Thanks for the confirmation.

Message to Amigaz - The CT3980 which I bought from the seller called "ultradrives" has not yet arrived. As soon as it does, I'll let you know what's in the box, and what the condition of the card is like.

Reply 8 of 26, by Amigaz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
retro games 100 wrote:

Ah! Thanks for the confirmation.

Message to Amigaz - The CT3980 which I bought from the seller called "ultradrives" has not yet arrived. As soon as it does, I'll let you know what's in the box, and what the condition of the card is like.

Great, thanks 😀

Does this model have a real OPL3 chip?

Reply 9 of 26, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Amigaz wrote:

Does this model [CT3980] have a real OPL3 chip?

Oh gosh, I don't actually know! 😊

However, Vogons user "Cloudschatze" said this about the CT3990:

"The CT3990 was the first AWE32 to feature Creative's CQM synthesis."

I have tested both the CT3980 & the CT3990. I remember liking the CT3980 more! 😀

Reply 10 of 26, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

OK, got the CT3980. Excellent packaging, card looks like it is new. (I am guessing it's factory refurbished.) Just the card is enclosed. Nothing else.

Photo shows stamps on box, there were LOTS of them, image is just a selection. Don't know admin file size limit, hope 67k is OK. Had to reduce size and quality, looks a bit rubbish I'm afraid - doesn't really do it justice.

Attachments

• stamps8.jpg
    Filename
    stamps8.jpg
    File size
    67.56 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 12 of 26, by Amigaz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Nice stamps 😁

So the card was a refurb?

How much was the shipping?

Reply 13 of 26, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The shipping was US$ 27.50 Now that was for first class international. I got 2 cards. The other card is a back up for the first card, which is a back up for the one in use. (Did I tell you I was mad?) 🤣 I asked the seller "ultradrives" if I could go for this cheaper shipping option, rather than Priority. They kindly agreed. The cards were enclosed in anti-static wrappers and then wrapped in BIG bubblewrap, and both cards were put in a fairly large cardboard box, with lots of "packing chips". Good job.

I'm guessing they are refurbished. There's not a fleck of dust on them. Perhaps they are brand new, but I cannot be sure.

Now to cut out my colourful stamps, and hang them on the wall! Make a nice picture! 😀

Reply 15 of 26, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Regarding CQM, I'm afraid I'm a retro techno thicko; perhaps Vogons user "Cloudschatze" would kindly elaborate on this matter?

Just quickly going back to those stamps! ... the chap who stuck them all down on the box did them individually! They're not from a sheet or anything. One at a time! Naturally, I emailed the seller and thanked him profusely for his sterling efforts. 😀

Reply 16 of 26, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
retro games 100 wrote:

Regarding CQM, I'm afraid I'm a retro techno thicko; perhaps Vogons user "Cloudschatze" would kindly elaborate on this matter?

Just quickly going back to those stamps! ... the chap who stuck them all down on the box did them individually! They're not from a sheet or anything. One at a time! Naturally, I emailed the seller and thanked him profusely for his sterling efforts. 😀

I think you may have lucked out, the 3980 uses Creative's OPL clone chip, which does by all reports sound identical to the Yamaha OPL3. It also has S/PDIF capabilities for pure digital sound. You need not worry about CQM crap.

Reply 17 of 26, by aleksej

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Great Hierophant wrote:

I think you may have lucked out, the 3980 uses Creative's OPL clone chip, which does by all reports sound identical to the Yamaha OPL3. It also has S/PDIF capabilities for pure digital sound. You need not worry about CQM crap.

Somebody can explain for me finally - what REAL difference between authentic YMF chip and itegrated CQM emulation? And what the hell is it - "Creative's OPL clone chip"? And how it looks on PCB? Where that chips? (OPL clone and CQM). I always think in all SB cards exist only two FM synthesizers - original YMFxxx and new CQM.
I have CT1600 with YMF chip, CT2760, CT3900, CT3980, CT3990, CT4380, CT4390, CT4500, CT4520 and i didn't note any difference in FM sound. I deaf? 😦

Reply 19 of 26, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Malik wrote:

Is there ANY substantial reason to revert back to an AWE32 from an AWE64, in terms of the AWE32's features or advantages?

Two words: daughter card. AWE64 doesn't allow you to add MIDI daughter card like DB50XG or SCD-15.

Yes, AWE32 has "crappy 32 software synth channels", but AWE GM pretty much sucks anyway (except if you're using SoundFonts). My SW60XG eats my AWE64 Gold for breakfast when it goes to GM.

retro games 100 wrote:

Photo shows stamps on box, there were LOTS of them, image is just a selection. Don't know admin file size limit, hope 67k is OK. Had to reduce size and quality, looks a bit rubbish I'm afraid - doesn't really do it justice.

Wait.

You bought an AWE32, and you also got an assortment of DC Comics stamps?

Lucky bastard. 🙁 😉

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.