VOGONS

First post, by Envisaged0ne

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello,

I don't know if I've done everything correctly to run the MT-32 Emulator. I have a real mt-32 and it worked great on my old computer throught the midi port of my soundcard. However, my new computer only uses PCI express so my old PCI soundcard won't work. So I looked into the emulator. I've installed MUNT with the appropriate MT32 PCM & Control ROMS. Everything seemed to go fine. I went into the audio devices and set the MIDI to MT-32 Synth Emulator. And now I'm kinda at "what now?". Do I try to run my old King's Quest games that supported MT-32 and they'll run ok? Do I still use the DosBox .60 and they'll play fine through there? I've tried those, and it hasn't worked. Either won't play the games or the music is garbled. So I guess I'm stumpped and I feel like I'm missing a step. 😒

Reply 1 of 5, by Envisaged0ne

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

To include some more info from my original post. I am using Windows XP. I made sure to copy all the .DLL's that were required into the DOSBOX directory and verified I downloaded the correct versions. I can run the games using DOSBOX (v.60) but the music is messed up. I tried playing KQ4, KQ5, KQ6, SQ3, SQ4 & SQ5.

Reply 2 of 5, by dh4rm4

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Munt is very much a work in progress. Even the latest code included with SCUMM-VM leaves a lot to be desired when compared with a real MT32.

You'd be better pressed to get a USB Midi adapter and connect your real MT32 and use that via DOSBox. It's the choice that many here follow and it's surprisingly easy to do. There can be issues with certain older games with the first MT32 revision "00" - the developers are working on solutions to those niggling problems,

There are many threads on the subject. I suggest you use the search feature.

Reply 3 of 5, by Envisaged0ne

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Okie, I bought a Yamaha UX16 USB Midi Adapter. I was able to get the MT-32 working just fine in XP and all my games have no prob with it.

However, I'm stuck on trying to get it to work in Vista. I downloaded the Vista drivers and everything installed just fine. But I don't know where to go to configure it to use the MT-32 for my games.

Has anyone had any success configuring the MT-32 with Vista?