VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by dreem

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

PLEASE HELP!

Ive been trying to run my Master of Orion 2 now for quite some time since i foolishly upgraded to windows 2000 professional. Now i have learned that there is some error with running old legacy dos games on it because it doesnt rely on dos and i cant play my favourite game!
Ive tried VDMSound and it didnt work coming up with the message "you need to run vesa.com".
Is there any way to run my beloved game on this system or do i need to format!

Preferably im looking for a non-format solution!

Reply 1 of 10, by dreem

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

There is a thread on this forum earlier stating it bypasses the vesa.com check but i tried it and it didnt work...then i searched further and found another supposed vesa bypass.....still didnt work.....now im still stuck with my loved game and no way to play it.....please anyone help!

Reply 3 of 10, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by dreem Ive been trying to run my Master of Orion 2 now for quite some time since i foolishly upgraded to windows 2000 professional.

It has it's upsides and it's downsides. For all-around compatibility, the best bet is to install Win2K or XP on an system that already has Win98. It can set up a dual-boot for you and you get the best of both worlds.

I do wonder why you're not running the Windows version. It's on the same CD. You just run SETUP.EXE instead of INSTALL.EXE.

Ive tried VDMSound and it didnt work coming up with the message "you need to run vesa.com".

That's the game generating that message, not VDMSound.

Preferably im looking for a non-format solution!

Try the Windows install first...
My GF3 run the DOS version of MOO2 just fine, no VESA error and no special tool was needed. This could just be a limitation of your TNT2 card.

Reply 4 of 10, by Serious Callers Only

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

In my experience, running MO2 on a XP system has no problems whatsoever with the DOS version (compatibility wizard set to Win98). However the Win version is crash prone even after the patch, which you should get.

Reply 7 of 10, by 4381/Peter

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have seen the "You must load VESA.COM" many times.
Most time it is caused by modern graphics cards not automatically comming with the DOS VESA drivers. Probably because with this extra overhead it will slow down the precious stats of the graphics card.
You might need to try 2 or 3 different flavours of driver for you Graphics card before you find one that works with Moo2. I heard rumers that Moo2 was not 100% VESA complient.

I would also recommend running "windows update" to ensure the rest of the OS is up to date.

Reply 8 of 10, by Mistoffeles

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have never had any problems running MOO2 with XP Pro, perhaps it has better DOS emulation than 2K? Or perhaps it is as mentioned above, that some modern graphics cards don't do VESA well.

It's been a while, so I don't remember if I ever got the sound working, but then I usually run WinAmp in the background 24/7 so I normally have at least music, if not all sound, turned off for most games. Most older game sound is just fluff anyway, not a critical component of the game as in some modern games where if you don't have sound, you don't get the audio cues for many thing.

Reply 9 of 10, by deimios

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ok I had the MOO2 dos version wich tends to freeze under Win2k3. And I downloaded the pacth 1.3 and unpacked it to recieve a free windows version exe. It worx if I put a dplay.dll and a smackw32.dll into the dir. The problem is that I tried around 3 smack dlls and none of them worx. It throws me out at the first sign of a movie. (antarans, win, amoeba etc...)
In dosbox the mouse is SLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW. I mean slower then a slug stuck in superglue. Any ideas?

I live again through linux

Reply 10 of 10, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

yeah use the cvs of dosbox. I fixed that mouse problem there.
You are own your own then. as the discussing the cvs here is unwanted.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!