VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by OvS

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

A very HUGE thank you and a question
Firstly, I don't know how often you are thanked for the terrific work that you have done for the gaming community but here is my personal thank you!

Next. I am a member of an artisan guild called SWWISA (Society of World War I Sim Artisans) {http://www.swwisa.net} and over the past several years, we have put out vast improvements to the old Sierra Dynamix WWI game Red Baron 3D. Our biggest problem was the loss of 3Dfx and not being able to use any form of a wrapper until you broke out onto the scene.

Since that time 2 major patches to RB have been released:
Western Front Patch - http://www.swwisa.net/wfp/
Hell's Angels - http://www.jamrom.com/hellsangels

1 is nearing completion for commercial release:
Full Canvas Jacket - http://www.wingwalkers.org/jasta1/newplmain.htm

and another is in really early stages of development.
Revenge of the Jastas III http://webpages.charter.net/hel0695/

To get to the point, very soon there the user-made patch will be released that will revolutionize a once out-dated game with new features like custom 3D cockpits, texture graphics, ground objects and a slew of other terrific enhancements, all while adding in the tremendous modelling work done by the members of the SWWISA modeling team.

This patch is publically known as Full Canvas Jacket {http://www.wingwalkers.org/jasta1/newplmain.htm}. It will appear in this coming issue of Computer Gaming magazine and features an article about bringing new life to a very old game.

We still have one more base to cover, Glidos. There are and will be several hundred new players to this old classic once folks get a look at this new patch. I'm sure you'll see the hit counter roll once they see there is a glide wrapper available for RB. Has glidos for RB3D been offically completed? Are there any other tweaks that will be done to it? Was anything left open? With this new patch have come many questions of compatibility like Radeon cards, palette issues, configurations, and a few other things. This patch will release a ton of new graphics that have been built around the original RB palette so hopefully there will not be any issues. Last I've heard that Glidos for RB was 95% complete and that it was still being worked on.

I just wanted to ask as I often answer many technical questions on Glidos and other aspects of RB for new users. I like to know I'm giving the best info and offering the right advice.

Thanks for all you have done and hopefully will continue to do.

James
OvS
Hell's Angels - RB3D
http:\\www.jamrom.com\hellsangels

Last edited by OvS on 2003-04-27, 17:54. Edited 1 time in total.

To fly is to live, to ride is to live life fullest.

Reply 1 of 9, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It's not actually GliDOS that supports Red Baron 3D, it's the wrapper itself, OpenGLide, which Paul is also a maintainer of. The only problems that remain as far as we know with OpenGLide are those related to specific ATi cards not having some OpenGL extensions (namely, paletting extensions, which cause problems with sun glare; however, sun glare can be easily turned off in-game, so it isn't much of a problem), and the inherent limitations of the engine causing graphics corruption (not a fault of OpenGLide). It'll be interesting to see what comes out of these projects, since the RB3D source was never released so I'm not entirely sure how they're managing to edit so much of the system.

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 2 of 9, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by OvS I'm sure you'll see the hit counter roll once they see there is a glide wrapper available for RB.

I think you can safely refer to that in past tense.

Two of the threads that have had the most activity (most replies) were both about Red Baron/OpenGlide/GliDOS.

You'll find some interesting posts in there. Just know that I was kidding about US185Damiani image looking so "realistic". I just thought it was funny that he posted a rather large image in the forum that had nothing to with the game.

Reply 3 of 9, by OvS

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well, RB was never actually finished and a lot of holes were left open for guy that knew a thing or two about programming. A few a them were able to extract some crucial .dat files from .vol files and that allowed guys like me to learn how and create patches.

It takes a lot of time and effort, but the RB Community is very appreciative of what comes out of all this work. It makes for some very good incentive.

Thanks for the updates, in case anyone asks least I can give a solid answer.

OvS

Reply 4 of 9, by OvS

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

If you guys ever had the urge to fly an old rickety Biplane the way it was ini WWI, you should check-out the patches available for RB3D. Many YEARS of research went into micro-deatiling the a/c models and aspects of the game. What these patches lack in modern looks (IL 2), they make up with stress level, and playability. It's the massive, dynamic campaign engine that keeps people coming back to RB.

Stop by sometime and have a look...

http:\\www.jamrom.com\hellsangels or better yet, take a look at the FCJ link I posted above. Kess is simply amazing.

OvS

Reply 5 of 9, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by OvS If you guys ever had the urge to fly an old rickety Biplane the way it was ini WWI, you should check-out the patches available for RB3D. Many YEARS of research went into micro-deatiling the a/c models and aspects of the game.

I never cease to be amazed at the flight-sim fanatic's obsession with realism. I swear if we wait long enough, they will eventually come up with environment suits to "enhance the experience".

Future demo at a trade show:

"As you see here, the player is attempting a loop...at this point the suit will automatically induce vertigo while simultaneousl […]
Show full quote

"As you see here, the player is attempting a loop...at this point the suit will automatically induce vertigo while simultaneously forcing an increase in adrenaline.

Now, here we see the player violently thrashing about. This is because the suit is simulating being struck my machine-gun fire using the hundreds of rapid-fire solenoids built in to inflict heavy body damage upon the player.

Ah. Finally we see that the player has crashed. This is beyond the capacity of our suit, which is why we recommend using it combination with our portable cockpit environment chamber, as we have displayed here. Notice that the chamber simulates the crash by violently compressing in upon the player...reducing to him to a medium-sized pile of ground meat. It then automatically disposes of the waste while simultaneously performing a "quick-clean" operation so it can be used by another person almost immediately.

Next player?

*heh*

Sorry. Realism is good...within certain limits.

Reply 6 of 9, by OvS

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

🤣!

You should hear the sim-chairs we came up with! Exploding gas tanks, fans spraying castor oil, electric shock for bullet strikes... some nut cases out there... 😉

Thanks for the post, that was a good one.

OvS

Reply 7 of 9, by Hentzau

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Nicht Sehr Gut wrote:

I think you can safely refer to that in past tense.

Hmm, not so sure about that. Only the real nutcases(like me) have been here so far, the huddled masses may visit next.

Its just a shame that the source didn't get Falcon 4'd by somebody, better yet just given away like Rowan's BoB.

Cheers!

Reply 8 of 9, by OvS

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Personally,

I think we shot down our only hopes by putting out such good stuff with what limited info we had. S/D probably saw what we could do and said...'Hold on there.... that's serious competition.'

And that was the end of that.

OvS

Reply 9 of 9, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Hentzau Hmm, not so sure about that. Only the real nutcases(like me) have been here so far, the huddled masses may visit next.

Odd, I thought all of you were nutcases...wait...that didn't come out right.

Its just a shame that the source didn't get Falcon 4'd by somebody, better yet just given away like Rowan's BoB.

I've started a thread about games that have had their source code released, here.