VOGONS

How to install Fable CD-ROM

Topic actions

First post, by JurjenB

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello there,

I have the original Fable CD-ROM (c) 1997 and I cannot install it in DOSBox.

After mounting the C: drive:

mount c c:\test

and mounting the CD-ROM:

mount d d:\ -t cdrom -label FABLE_E

It stops when I have to choose an install path. Every time it says: Device doesn't exist!

It is VERY frustrating. Anyone know the answer? Thanks!!

Reply 8 of 32, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

I have NOT a problem with mounting the CD-ROM, I have a problem with installing it on the mounted harddrive C: !!

How do you know those are completely unrelated things?

But the DOSBox list says the program is 100% compatible!

Which just means that some user got it working one or the other way.

Reply 12 of 32, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

What command do you use to install it?

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 15 of 32, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

That attitude is not making you many friends JurjenB.

I am out of this thread.

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 16 of 32, by JurjenB

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Sorry MiniMax, you're right. But how would you react when after days your (maybe simple) question is still not answered, and people are only complaining about spelling errors of other members who contributed to the thread before them instead of trying to help me (what this thread is for after all)! So that you leave this thread is not a problem, my question is not answered, and if it will it is a miracle to me.

Reply 17 of 32, by Jiri

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Install should work in latest CVS of DOSBox, you can download it here.
http://builds.tharos-online.de (dosbox_24.01.2009.zip)
The game also run in XP (maybe on Vista too, but I did not test it) with simple tweak: Run autorun.exe or setup.exe and install the game. Run Regedit (start, run, regedit) and navigate to the key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Telstar\Fable
Edit the value for 'Path' to match that of your installation directory.

Reply 18 of 32, by ADDiCT

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

C'mon, don't act the innocent! You've made two serious tactical mistakes:

You've opened two threads about the same problem (against basic rule of netiquette, and common sense, too)

You've "asked" about step-by-step instructions in the other thread ("Step/by/step install manual please!"). Can you imagine how many identical instructions we'd have to give if we made one for every single request? You're supposed to use your own brain, and first try to get the game working on your own, using all info sources available (which are numerous), before asking for help. VOGONS is not a kindergarten where a nice nurse shows you how to tie your laces.

You won't get much love for stuff like "It was too good to be true to get an answer so soon...", too. We all have a life, and there are things more important than helping lazy people on VOGONS. Having problems with a game can't be considered an urgent problem, too.