D-Fend Reloaded (DOSBox frontend)

Topic actions

Reply 621 of 2280, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Screenshots are rendered at a certain time so they only contain one
palette (means the screenshot will not match what you see with vgaonly).
vgaonly will be available in the next dosbox release.

Reply 622 of 2280, by oolie

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Since the colors are messed up only in the game menu (the tables are displayed properly) this is not something needing solving right away. It's more like a curiosity than an issue, but I'll look into it further when I'm back home.

@wd - and the next dosbox release will be out...? 😉

Reply 626 of 2280, by Alexander

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Screenshot problem
Perhaps I've been a bit unclear: If there is a difference between the appearance in DOSBox and the captured png file (when opening it in an image viewer, not DFR) this is a DOSBox problem D-Fend Reloaded cannot influence. Mostly this is caused due to some tricky usage of palettes in the DOS program. I would be interessted to know if there are any png files which are displayed differently in DFR and external image viewers.

Tooltips in games list
This is working for me but I remember some other user had problems with tooltips while using some XP theme packs (like Vista theme for XP). D-Fend Reloaded is drawing the tooltips using the Windows API functions. So some replacement DLLs might cause this problem.

Next DOSBox release

Each time somebody asks that the release date is extended by two additional weeks.

No problem with this...
I will try to support all new DOSBox 0.73 features in D-Fend Reloaded 0.8 and we are still just before the release of 0.7.
(And of course also because 0.72 is working very well for me.)

Reply 627 of 2280, by hydr0x

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Alexander wrote:

Screenshot problem
Perhaps I've been a bit unclear: If there is a difference between the appearance in DOSBox and the captured png file (when opening it in an image viewer, not DFR) this is a DOSBox problem D-Fend Reloaded cannot influence. Mostly this is caused due to some tricky usage of palettes in the DOS program.

No. That's not the problem 😀

I would be interessted to know if there are any png files which are displayed differently in DFR and external image viewers.

That's it 😉 An example game is Doom. The screenshot looks compressed in DFR. It's hard to describe so I'll try to work out some way to show the difference when I'm back from my vacation in a few days.

Reply 628 of 2280, by plutonick

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Quick little question regarding D-fend reloaded, new scummvm v.13 and Lure of the Temptress.

Ok, I am running D-fend reloaded and through it scummvm v13 for scumm games. However, when I try to play Lure of Temptress, the game defaults to EGA graphics. I can see no option in D-fend reloaded to allow me to switch to VGA graphics when using scummvm through D-fend.

Reply 629 of 2280, by Alexander

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi hydr0x,
I know that Doom screenshots have been an example for the screenshot viewing problems, but I cannot reproduce this bug in D-Fend Reloaded 0.7b2 anymore. Can you please post or pm me a screenshot where this problem is present.

Hi plutonick,
I'm not a so big ScummVM expert so ScummVM support in D-Fend Reloaded will always a bit less complete than DOSBox support, but perhaps the new render mode option in D-Fend Reloaded 0.7 can help you. Try this steps:

• Download and install D-Fend Reloaded 0.7 Beta 2
  • Open the setup dialog and add "vga" as render mode to the ScummVM render modes default values on the "Default values" page. (You will need to switch to advanced mode to see the "Default values" page.)
  • Open the profile editor for the ScummVM profile and select "vga" as render mode on the graphics page.

Reply 631 of 2280, by mandark0

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

hi alexander!

i have a new feature suggestion for d-fend reloaded. it's about the display of icons in the "icons view". as you probably know, an ".ico"-file can include various resolutions of an icon file (up to 256x256px in vista). DFR however, always seems to displays the icons at 32x32px. it would be great, if the user could set this to a different/higher value.

IMHO you could add this functionality using one of the following ways:
- you could either add additional views with other fixed icon-dimensions (e.g. "big icons" with 128x128px and "very big icons" with 256x256px
- or make the icon-size in the existing "icons"-view modifyable in the program-options.

i think the latter suggestion would be probably best, since it gives the user maximum customizability.

i've attached such an icon, which already includes resolutions from 16x16px up to 256x256px. you could use it for testing.

best regards
mandark

PS: the new custom settings edit field in the profile editor for ScummVM is working great for me. thanks for the implementation!

PPS: also many thanks again for your tremendous continuing work on this great tool. 😁

EDIT:
another feature suggestion just crossed my mind. you already have implemented various very useful batch-actions (like editing the profile or create zip-packages of multiple games). imho it would also be rather useful, if one could create windows-shortcuts of multiple (or all) games in the same way. this is afaik only possible for a single profile at the moment.

Attachments

• Filename
    loom_ico.zip
    File size
    329.74 KiB
    Downloads
    163 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 632 of 2280, by plutonick

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Alexander wrote:
Hi plutonick, I'm not a so big ScummVM expert so ScummVM support in D-Fend Reloaded will always a bit less complete than DOSBox […]
Show full quote

Hi plutonick,
I'm not a so big ScummVM expert so ScummVM support in D-Fend Reloaded will always a bit less complete than DOSBox support, but perhaps the new render mode option in D-Fend Reloaded 0.7 can help you. Try this steps:

• Download and install D-Fend Reloaded 0.7 Beta 2
  • Open the setup dialog and add "vga" as render mode to the ScummVM render modes default values on the "Default values" page. (You will need to switch to advanced mode to see the "Default values" page.)
  • Open the profile editor for the ScummVM profile and select "vga" as render mode on the graphics page.

I did as instructed. I didn't know I could add render modes this way...
However, it's not working. I checked running the game on scummvm without dosbox and after checking the options I noticed that there is no VGA option in scummvm either. But the game DOES have better graphics than when playing it through Dosbox-scummvm.

Reply 633 of 2280, by oolie

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Alexander wrote:

Tooltips in games list
This is working for me but I remember some other user had problems with tooltips while using some XP theme packs (like Vista theme for XP). D-Fend Reloaded is drawing the tooltips using the Windows API functions. So some replacement DLLs might cause this problem.

Mea culpa!

Reply 634 of 2280, by mandark0

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

i discovered a minor glitch in beta2 of version 0.7.0.

in the program settings, the freedos-settings seem to show wrong text-parts. they seem to be the texts of the scummvm-settings. this at least occurs in german and english language.

see the attached screenshot, which shows the problem in english language.

Attachments

• Filename
    freedos.jpg
    File size
    83.87 KiB
    Downloads
    96 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 635 of 2280, by hydr0x

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well, this isn't the best screenshot to show the problem but it is clearly visible at the hand and also the face to a lesser extent.

DFRL

http://www3.picturepush.com/photo/a/1481726/img/1481726.png

Original Screenshot

http://www4.picturepush.com/photo/a/1481727/img/1481727.png

Reply 636 of 2280, by Alexander

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi plutonick,
what do you mean with "Dosbox-scummvm" ? D-Fend Reloaded is not starting ScummVM profiles by using DOSBox in any way. It's starting DOSBox profiles by running DOSBox and ScummVM profiles by running ScummVM. In both cases it creates the configuration file for the emulator and then calls it. DOSBox has no own GUI for the configuration; ScummVM has some GUI which should do nearly the same as D-Fend Reloaded. If you cannot get VGA graphics eighter by running the through D-Fend Reloaded nor by running it directly from the ScummVM GUI, perhaps ScummVM is not yet supporting VGA for this game. ScummVM is still under development and each version is supporting more games and more options for the games. Have you checked the ScummVM compatibility list ?

Hi mandark0,
I will think about both ideas for D-Fend Reloaded 0.8. (The feature wishlist for 0.7 is already closed.) The language bug in the setup dialog in DFR 0.7.0b2 is already known and already fixed in my development version. I have also fixed all new language files I've got for 0.7 (by restoring the four damaged strings from the 0.6.1 language files).

Hi hydr0x,
for analyzing this problem it would be good if you could send me the "doom_001.png" file.

And a little status update:
Only the Italian language file for 0.7.0 is still missing and the screenshot problem is still open.

Reply 638 of 2280, by Alexander

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Finally I have fixed the screenshot problem:

The reason why I wasn't able to reproduce it was I searched on the wrong position: The screenshot previewer already worked very well, only the screenshot preview area in the main window was affected. And with this the reason was quite obvious to me: The screenshot previewer window is reading the image files directly. The preview area in the main window is loading the screenshots in a TImageList component. In both cases scaling the image did not change the result (wrong or right).

For all who are interessted in this:
If P is TPNGObject and B is TBitmap a B.Assign(P); is not goot, but

B.Width:=P.Width;
B.Height:=P.Height;
P.Draw(B.Canvas,Rect(0,0,B.Width-1,B.Height-1));

works fine. Finally. (See screenshot in preview area.)

So only Italian translation is missing for RC1. I have already mailed Filippo but got no answer yet. Because RC1 is not the final version there is no need to have all languages together for RC1 so I will release RC1 beginning of next week or so.