VOGONS

Slowing a 440BX based PC

Topic actions

Reply 40 of 51, by Farfolomew

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
gerwin wrote:

I don't know if the stepping numbers are a foolproof guide to getting a multiplier limited CPU, or if the date-codes should be considered. My SL2QF says 98290382-0363. (We will know when we have knowledge of two identical part numbers, of which one is multiplier limited, and the other totally locked..)

Well yours DOES have a date code before the 34th week, so it still falls in line with the whole 19 Aug 98 locked multiplier date. I'm nearly tempted to purchase a cheap 400Mhz PII model with a DA0 or DA1 stepping just to test the theory I had earlier about only new steppings being locked. One of the reasons I wanted to get a 350Mhz is because the lvl2 cache chips are rated at 5ns instead of 5.5ns, and they're connected directly to the heatsink, rather than an air gap like with the 333Mhz model. It probably makes no difference, as you got yours to run fine at 400Mhz anyways, Gerwin, but I was thinking maybe there was a chance to get it to run at 450Mhz (same speed as my Celeron 300A). Then I wouldn't have to swap out CPUs if I wanted to play a really resource demanding game.

gerwin wrote:

Farfolomew, don't get your hopes up on that unlocking article. I know how it ends. 😜

Yes, I initially did when I saw it. In fact, I was so gullible I didn't realize what was going on until the 3rd page haha. Although I did have an idea when it showed the guy with a screwdriver and a hammer prying off the heatspreader hehe! I had a good chuckle with that article; I thought the author pulled it off well. And it seemed perfect for our little thread here!

gerwin wrote:

I am still waiting for the other guys bank account nr.

Are you serious? Is this how you normally do transactions with people?! You must be seriously trustworthy with your personal details online! online 😁

Reply 41 of 51, by Farfolomew

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I know, i've gotten carried away on this, but I thought i'd share anyways. Below are some really reliable and easy search strings to put into Ebay that will come up with PII CPUs produced in the year 1998 in weeks 0-39. I included weeks 30-33 because they're still valid, so you'll have to weed out the 34-39 ones, if they pop up. Hopefully this helps anyone who may see this thread and is trying to obtain one like Gerwin and Bestemor got:

I've broken it down into two separate strings as Ebay didn't seem to find them all with one giant string:

"80523*" (080*,081*,082*,083*,180*,181*,182*,183*,680*,681*,682*,683*,880*,881*,882*,883*,980*,981*,982*,983*)
"80523*" (A80*,A81*,A82*,A83*,Q80*,Q81*,Q82*,Q83*,R80*,R81*,R82*,R83*,Y80*,Y81*,Y82*,Y83*)

Make sure to check the "Include Title and Description" or it won't search inside e-bay items! Also, for best results, narrow results down to the "Computing and Networking" category.

Last edited by Farfolomew on 2009-03-05, 16:02. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 42 of 51, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yes, but do many sellers include that line of information? Some don't even specify the five digit product code. But it is good to learn these search tricks.

I understand your arguments for getting the 400MHz. As such it has just a bit more to offer than the 333Mhz.

What do you mean with your comment on my transaction method? It is the only way to pay the man for the item and I pay in advance so all the risk is for me. Anyways, it seems like I may receive the item after all. 😀

Reply 43 of 51, by Farfolomew

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yes, I realize the search strings above will only find those items that have the info typed out in the description. There are several other CPUs out there that have just pictures, but, alas, you can't search those (yet)! However, this will at least allow someone to quickly see if one exists, rather than trying to do what I did the past couple of days and go through EVERY PII processor to see if it had picture or serial # 😁.

I did not mean to imply you're reckless with your personal data 😜; just seems odd in this day and age to be sharing bank account information with total strangers over the internet. I mean, isn't that what Paypal's for afterall? 😜

Reply 44 of 51, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Farfolomew wrote:

I'm nearly tempted to purchase a cheap 400Mhz PII model with a DA0 or DA1 stepping just to test the theory I had earlier about only new steppings being locked. One of the reasons I wanted to get a 350Mhz is because the lvl2 cache chips are rated at 5ns instead of 5.5ns, and they're connected directly to the heatsink, rather than an air gap like with the 333Mhz model. It probably makes no difference, as you got yours to run fine at 400Mhz anyways, Gerwin, but I was thinking maybe there was a chance to get it to run at 450Mhz (same speed as my Celeron 300A). Then I wouldn't have to swap out CPUs if I wanted to play a really resource demanding game.

To summarize, we have these Deschutes Core Pentium II's (no celeron):

The P-II 333/66MHz and 350/100MHz, with 5.5 ns L2 cache.
The P-II 400/100MHz, with faster 5.0 ns L2 cache with a slower timing and heatsink connection.
The L2 cache is in the form of external chips which run at half the CPU speed.

The above three can potentially be found multiplier limited, at least when produced before week 34 1998, but maybe even afterwards. When multiplier limited they accept a multiplier of 2.0x and 2.5x, but disable the L2 cache at these settings. They run properly at multiplier 3.0x and up, until a certain limit which depends on the CPU type and the FSB speed. These CPU's are not too good for overclocking because their external L2 cache chips become the bottleneck.

Farfolomew wrote:

I did not mean to imply you're reckless with your personal data; just seems odd in this day and age to be sharing bank account information with total strangers over the internet. I mean, isn't that what Paypal's for afterall

No problem. I was more worried that I had to give paypal a full authorization to write off money from my bank account, some time ago 😜. Bank transfers are still very common for the more local internet trading here.

Reply 45 of 51, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It took some time, but some days ago I received the Engineering sample CPU. It is a Coppermine Pentium III 750/100, product number QH31ES Cpu world info.

The bad news: It does not respond properly to Multiplier setting 1.5x, 2.0x and 2.5x. With these multipliers it sets itself on a higher setting, with some odd readings in speedsys.

The good news: It accepts all the other multiplier settings I could throw at it. 3.0x to 8.0x. And the caches seem to work properly at all these settings. Attached the SpeedSys benchmark at 200Mhz ( 3.0x and 66MHz FSB).

It is nice to have this slow speed setting available, though for speed sensitive games one certainly needs additional slowdown methods. When set to its full speed, a Coppermine CPU is an all-round good performer: Fast 32-bit+16-bit, fast Integer+FPU, MMX+SSE, fast cache and reasonable power usage.

PS. my Aopen mainboard detects the 100MHz bus support and won't let me choose 66MHz in the bios. So that can also be an obstacle in slowing down similar systems.

Attachments

• 3P0X_66.gif
    Filename
    3P0X_66.gif
    File size
    12.19 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    QH31ES SpeedSys benchmark at 200Mhz (3.0x and 66MHz FSB).
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 47 of 51, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Sorry, which link? 😕

Another thing: Although coppermine CPU's are found with 256kB L2 cache, until the release of the Tualatin-S versions with 512kB. The seller of the QH31ES stated it to have 512kB L2 cache, and CPU world also shows an image of a QH31ES mentioning 512kB L2? On the other hand Speedsys and CPU-Z detect 256kB on mine. I am afraid it just doesn't have the extra cache.

Edit: the seller assured me the CPU showed 512kB L2 when using it on his Abit BH6 mainboard...

Last edited by gerwin on 2009-03-29, 12:09. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 49 of 51, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yes, I had already read that topic. 😀 And coincidentally done the same thing some weeks ago, as written here. But for now I (temporarely?) removed the Tualatin and put in the Unlocked CPU.

Reply 51 of 51, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Link to the other P2 unlock thread (posted for conveniance, so I don't have to google it every time I need it 😜 ).
Which Pentium IIs can be underclocked?

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!