VOGONS

First post, by Serpent17

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It's just don't work. I remember it was not working on the my old 486 unil I changed IRQ or DMA of my SB Vibra 16. I can't remember what I did exactly, but I can remember how I once started LHX (it was under Win95) and it played AdLib music. I was shocked! 😀 because I never thought LHX supported anything except PC-speaker.
In DOSbox I've tried variety of DMAs & IRQs - but it's still don't work. 🙁
😕

Add:
I think this problem is (possibly) connected to how the game detects AdLib hardware.

Last edited by Serpent17 on 2009-05-03, 18:35. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 3 of 13, by rcblanke

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Strange, I just tried (DOSBox 0.72 default settings) and works for me. Maybe your can try my cfg, or try starting LHX with 'lhx adlib' ?!

Attachments

• Filename
    LHX.zip
    File size
    175 Bytes
    Downloads
    292 downloads
    File comment
    cfg
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 4 of 13, by Serpent17

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Nope. Doesn't work. Command line parameter "adlib" is incorrect. Game does not load and produce error message:
Unknown option: "adlib".
(Correct parameter is "adlibsound").

Are you really can hear Adlib music & effects in game?
If so - please post your SoundBlaster config from DOSbox .conf .

Reply 5 of 13, by rcblanke

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Serpent17 wrote:

Correct parameter is "adlibsound"

You're completely right!

Serpent17 wrote:

Are you really can hear Adlib music & effects in game?
If so - please post your SoundBlaster config from DOSbox .conf.

Yes, I'm sure, but as I said, I used just the default settings; core=auto, cycles=auto (3000), sbtype=sb16, etc. You may want to remove your old DOSBox configuration to have it use its default settings and retry using
lhx vga adlibsound

Reply 6 of 13, by Serpent17

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Point up! It works! 😀 I've deleted my customized .conf file as you suggested.

But i stll don't understand why it wont work with my .conf... 😕
Well...
Thank you very much!

I will try to change my conf comparing it with original to find what was the cause.

Thanks again. You - helped! 😀

Reply 8 of 13, by rcblanke

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Glad it works now! You probably had cycles configured too high, which makes adlib detection fail in some games. DOSBox's defaults are pretty well chosen.

Reply 9 of 13, by Serpent17

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yep! You are correct - it's too high CPU CYCLES, if it's set higher than 3000 - adlib won't work. Interesting info on failing AdLib detection with too high speed. I'll keep that in mind.

Finally problem completely solved. Thanks again!

2 DosFreak: And to you too! 😀 Windiff - cool utility! I regret i didn't know of it earlier.

And er... Sorry for my english - I'm russian and I've learned english mostly by playing computer games! 😊 😊 😊

Reply 10 of 13, by Art

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yes, it's a badly programmed AdLib detection, so you can only have AdLib sound with low framerate. But it can be easily repaired. In the file lhx.exe, on offsets 0x2F986 and 0x2F987, it's necessary to change original values 0x20 and 0x00 to 0xFF and 0xFF. Then the AdLib detection works also on much faster computers and you can enjoy high framerate with AdLib sound.

Reply 11 of 13, by Serpent17

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

2 Art: Thanks for the info! ( I thought this thread was long dead. Heh. 😀 ) I'll try that.
Recently I've tried DOSbox under Linux Mint and had the same problem with "Prince of Persia" (version 1.2 if I'm not mistaken) - the game stubbornly wouldn't detect SoundBlaster. Setting cycles to "auto" or below 4000 did the trick.

Reply 12 of 13, by Art

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have no problems with Prince of Persia 1.3 on a PC 486 DX/2 80. In the setup program, I can select Sound Blaster and the game uses it. So I have tried it in Dosbox. When cycles are below 10000, everything is OK. When it is above 10000, music is OK, but sound effects are synthesized through AdLib and not digitized through the Sound Blaster DAC. But as there are no vector graphics, it looks exactly the same on slow or fast computers, so it is not really a problem for me. I remember that some earlier versions of Prince of Persia don't have the setup program and use only autodetection.