VOGONS

First post, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Strange as it may seem, I have never tested a VLB IDE controller with a HDD. I've got the following hardware -

486 PCI/VLB/ISA mobo (Gigabyte GA486IM)
VLB IDE controller (QD6580W/787/777)
Old working HDD (under 1 GB) + old working 40 pin cable

The VLB controller is currently inserted in to VESA slot 1. I've got the floppy disk connected to its FDD header, and it works. But the HDD doesn't boot up. Is the mobo's BIOS supposed to be able to 'see' the HDD? When I try the mobo's BIOS "auto HDD detection" feature, it finds nothing.

I wonder what I could try next - insert the card in to VESA slot 2, or I found this in the printed manual -

"JP7, 15: Delay Local Bus Clock" - currently it's set to "normal", but there is a setting which is used when a VL-Bus interface card needs more address setup time."

Any thoughts please people? Thanks a lot. 😀

(One of the reasons I ask this question is simply cos it's nice to talk about testing old hardware - just out of conversation - and a lot of people seem to enjoy sharing their retro knowledge by answering such questions. It's not just a case of me being a bit lazy. Honest!)

Reply 2 of 5, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

There is no error message. The BIOS "POST screen" says C drive: no disk. The BIOS is unable to automatically detect the HDD - it finds nothing. If I enter the HDD's details manually (ie, cylinders, heads, sectors), then the mobo hangs as it attempts to find the HDD. Finally, the HDD does spin up OK. The ribbon cable seems to plugged in the correct way.

Reply 3 of 5, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Over 15 years ago I had an AMD 486DX4-120 system with a VLB motherboard (PCI was new and unproven, so we made the mistake of going with the short-lived VLB when we were looking at motherboards; oh well, it was a 486 in an era where everyone smart was buying Pentiums anyways hehe). We got a VLB IDE controller for it and eventually a VLB video card. Unfortunately it was so long ago that I can't remember any details about the controller.

If I had to guess, though, there's probably a BIOS for the VLB IDE controller that gets called by the system BIOS (or vice versa?) and maybe you can get to a setup utility for the controller's BIOS to configure the connected hard drives?

Hmm, maybe not. First Google result for QD6580W shows a lot of jumpers (old school!): http://stason.org/TULARC/pc/hard-disk-floppy- … 80W-757-77.html

Have you tried messing with those jumpers on the VLB IDE controller card?

Reply 4 of 5, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I think the jumpers are OK. I've even got the printed leaflet for it! But I still can't get the HDD to boot. I removed the VLB controller card, and tried two different PCI "100 speed" IDE cards. Neither worked. So I dug out an old ISA multi IO card, and that boots up a very old HDD OK. Oh well. 😐

Reply 5 of 5, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Solved! I got the VLB IO card to work. One of the ISA contacts on the card had some crud on it. I scrapped it off with my finger. I reinserted the card, it works, HDD boots up OK. 😀