VOGONS

Common searches

The Baron needs a boost

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by OvS

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Gents,

Thanks to the release of the Glidos wrapper and the emergence of a few terrific graphic patches, Red Baron has surged back into the lime-light of combat flight sims. We've even made it to the June edition of 'Computer Games' magazine. With the much anticipated release of Full Canvas Jacket from Mitchell Kent (Kessler), Red Baron as we knew it from Sierra Dynamic will never be the same.

Hence my request to your team. I know an old game like RB can easily slip off the priority list, with all the great FPS/adventure games out there, but to be honest... RB is the ONLY WWI flight simulator to date that allowed the users acces to tweak the game to levels never seen/expected by S/D. Our biggest barrier is and always will be the poor technology/programming that S/D based the original code on. We cannot get the code, so we are stuck with it.

This is where we need your help. There are hundreds of RB'ers out there that have been requesting help, updates, corrections, etc to the GLIDOS engine through individual emails and posting on the various Forums that our community offers. We have tried our best to support them and boast your product while doing so. I even had a gentleman from Spain ask me some questions while also telling me that he was forming a Spanish RB squadron with his friends.... poissibly 10 men on the team.

Can you come by the SWWISA forum and have a look at some of the remaining issues? Some of them are more simpler than others, but a lot of folks see problems with palettes more than anything else.

We could really use the support of the GLIDOS team. We've worked harder than most fans of any game to get RB to where it is now and would like it to keep going. Any help from your team would be appreciated by folks that you or I have and never will know. On a personal note, I spent 8 months building my patch Hell's Angels, only to have folks email me asking me why the gun flash is green, or why there are black specs on eveything. It kills me because I know there is nothing I can do about it.

Thanks in advance, please consider another revision of 0074b to address the remaining issues for RB. You have no idea how much your attention to RB is appreciated.

James
'Otto von Stachel'
creator of 'Hell's Angels' for Red Baron 3D

Reply 1 of 7, by CraigG

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Does this ever end ? 😕

Please, for the love of god, somebody tell these people that it's nothing to do with

Gli**********DOS***********

Note the ***DOS*** bit, please.
You are referring to Openglide, NOT Glidos.

I know an old game like RB can easily slip off the priority list

And since when did RB become Paul's Priority in the first place?

Give the guy a break. He and Fabio (Remember him RB fans, the one coded Openglide in the first place) both work their arses off helping users with their problems.
And these are paying customers, not people screaming for support for a free product.
Sheesh, get off your high horses, and realise you now have a playable game, whereas before you had nothing.
And to moan about some tiny black specs, or a flashing gun, is just beyond belief !!

I just really need to get that off my chest. Paul is a great bloke, he helps people out with soo many problems I'm not sure he never gets some time to his self.

And there are far more important games to work on, other than RB. These ARE GliDOS games, and games thatmany users here are requesting.
But we/they don't keep on and on. We wait patiently and let Paul do his amazing stuff.

Sorry if you RB fans feel offended in anyway, but you seem to think that the world revolves around RB.

Athlon 64 3000+ stock
MSI NForce 4 K8N Neo Platinum
2Gb RAM
nVidia Geforce 6800GT stock clocks
SBLive! Platinum + Audigy ZS2 Drivers
WinXP Pro SP2

Reply 3 of 7, by OvS

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

<<<Does this ever end ?

Please, for the love of god, somebody tell these people that it's nothing to do with

Gli**********DOS***********

Note the ***DOS*** bit, please.
You are referring to Openglide, NOT Glidos. >>>

Ya know something buddy... there are ways to point out that I posted on the wrong forum thread... and there are ways not to. You just exemplified the way NOT to.

No one is one any 'High-Horses'... maybe I can't reprogram the open glide source but that is no reason to suggest any one in our massive RB community is anything like the pompass attitude you just spewd out of your pie-hole.

I asked a simple question...

<<< And to moan about some tiny black specs, or a flashing gun, is just beyond belief !!

I just really need to get that off my chest. Paul is a great bloke, he helps people out with soo many problems I'm not sure he never gets some time to his self.

And there are far more important games to work on, other than RB.>>>

Hmmm... THAT's your opinion. All we do is boast your wrapper, of Red Baron as well as any other game it applies to... in fact, I have a link to your site right on my website link page. This is the kick in the balls answer you give??? .... Thanks a bunch!!

<<< Sorry if you RB fans feel offended in anyway, but you seem to think that the world revolves around RB.>>>

No.... you're absouluetly wrong... we at SWWISA put out products so that the world can appreicate old games. Just like what you are doing. We make models and add-ons so people can get more out of off-the-shelf crap that is rushed out the commercial door.

Man, you are totally off base... and to think I was just reading the instructions on how to donte money to your efforts... I'll spend the $25 on a set of grips for my Magna... thanks.

Believe me... you don't have to answer... I'll NEVER POST HERE AGAIN. Especially knowning your attitude is so poor. Funny how I thought we were all supposed to help each other out... HA!

I answer emails from folks all around the world pal, as well as offer them advice on how to you the wrapper... etc.. etc. If I can't handle the poor guy who has a request for more, why bother. It's for him... NOT me. That's what I thought you were about. My BIG mistake.

Regretfully,
OvS

Reply 4 of 7, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Well, this is definitely not my favourite thread. How did that get so nasty so quick. Okay Craig, I think you may have been a bit overly heated in defence of my limited time, but OvS, how did this turn into nuclear war man.

BTW, no one here makes any money out of this, except me, and I make so little out of it that it doesn't really count. Glidos is really a way for me to lose money by wasting time on it rather than working - OpenGLide even more so. The drive is satisfaction from seeing people using it. OvS, your fast taken offence to a single slightly heated post from one of my friends goes a long way towards taking away from me that satisfaction.

Reply 5 of 7, by CraigG

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yeah, Sorry Paul. But guys like this really bug me.

And it ain't as if I went for a flame flest, I merely pointed out that
there are other priorities other than RB.

His attitude of "We got problems, We don't like it, now fix it", was way off.
stuff like

there that have been requesting help, updates, corrections

And

Can you come by the SWWISA forum and have a look at some of the remaining issues?

Remaining Issues ? It's like you are being asked to fix something that may not have absolutely nothing to do with what you do here.
Perhaps it is openglide, but perhaps, just perhaps it's RB ?

Now looking at his reply and all I can say is 😮
Wow, totally went off his rocker there, didn't he.

Look at this

All we do is boast your wrapper, of Red Baron as well as any other game it applies to...

It's a FREE !! Open Source wrapper. Paul isn't making money off of this, his work for RB has been totally FREE !!
I'm sure you are more than welcome to download the source, and make it an RB only wrapper.

Oh well, I guess we can continue to make Glidos better than ever now. And keep making Openglide more and more compatible with ALL Windows glide games.

Athlon 64 3000+ stock
MSI NForce 4 K8N Neo Platinum
2Gb RAM
nVidia Geforce 6800GT stock clocks
SBLive! Platinum + Audigy ZS2 Drivers
WinXP Pro SP2

Reply 6 of 7, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Okay, okay, gentlemen, put down your testosterone boosters. This isn't a competition of penis size. Hostile attitudes like this are not helpful to anyone. Let's all take a deep breath, gather 'round in a circle and sing some kumbiyah, okay?

In any case, I don't like cross-posting, the other thread is in the proper place and is less inflammatory, so this one is getting closed.

Yes, it’s my fault.