Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

There were a few bugs in the texture overriding code, now fixed in v1.24

Reply 1 of 12, by Hentzau

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Anything useful for in the RB3D wrapper version?

I'm starting to feel massive headaches coming on with Kess releasing his "Full Canvas Jacket" mod soon. 🤣 The headaches from that "Sold Out Software" version are bad enough. 🤣

Did you happen to see the mention of GLIDOS in the June "Computer Games" magazine? They did an article about the upcoming Promised Land mod and had a blurb about GLIDOS in there.

Cheers!

Reply 2 of 12, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Hentzau wrote:

Anything useful for in the RB3D wrapper version?

The thing is, it is OpenGLide that you are using with RB3D. It just happened that it was me that did the big push to get OpenGLide to support RB3D, and I released a version on the Glidos web site. There have been lots of changes to OpenGLide since then (mainly by the original author, Fabio Barros). You can get the latest version from Source Forge.

I'm starting to feel massive headaches coming on with Kess releasing his "Full Canvas Jacket" mod soon. 🤣 The headaches from that "Sold Out Software" version are bad enough. 🤣

What problems remain that we think are down to OpenGLide?

Did you happen to see the mention of GLIDOS in the June "Computer Games" magazine? They did an article about the upcoming Prom […]
Show full quote

Did you happen to see the mention of GLIDOS in the June "Computer Games" magazine? They did an article about the upcoming Promised Land mod and had a blurb about GLIDOS in there.

Cheers!

Wow! That's sort of nice for me, but unfair on Fabio that it isn't clear that it is OpenGLide being used.

Reply 3 of 12, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yeah, Paul, mate, you need to remove the RB3D stuff from your site and link to OpenGLide instead.

Speaking of links to OpenGLide, maybe at some point I should think about deploying that site...hmm...😉

Oh, and you want to talk about irritating things popping up months after work is done? The news script for the OpenGLide site won't let me post to it. Gah. Gah. Gah.
On the upside of things I found a small, inconsequential bug in the compatibility script that I fixed. 😀

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 4 of 12, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Snover wrote:

Yeah, Paul, mate, you need to remove the RB3D stuff from your site and link to OpenGLide instead.

Probably, seeing the version the Glidos site carries is so out of date.

But I do think I make it pretty clear that its OpenGLide not Glidos. I do have in great big letters "For Windows games you don't need Glidos, you need OpenGLide."

Reply 5 of 12, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Snover wrote:

Speaking of links to OpenGLide, maybe at some point I should think about deploying that site...hmm...😉

Oh, and you want to talk about irritating things popping up months after work is done? The news script for the OpenGLide site won't let me post to it. Gah. Gah. Gah.
On the upside of things I found a small, inconsequential bug in the compatibility script that I fixed. 😀

Might be able to help you out with this stuff now: I'm starting on the road of becoming a PHP/MySQL hacker. Have you seen that the Glidos site has an unlock service now?

Reply 7 of 12, by Hentzau

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Drat I just lost my entire post. I don't think I can do as good again. 🤣

Ok I posted in Glidos and not OpenGLide. Yes, I know it is OpenGLide - a file from within your program "Glidos" that is being used by the RB3D community. FB created it, but your modifications made it practical for use in RB3D.

People come to your site to get your posted Red Baron version(hopefully they buy Glidos from you too). I have heard that more recent versions since FB became involved again aren't necessarily better for RB3D than the version you currently have posted.

I'm still using a voodoo 3000, but am about to start using a new computer w/MX440(yeah I know its really just a geforce 2 🤣). I'll try out the latest version 008 from Dec 2002. Please don't get rid of the version you currently have posted.

There are alot of people buying "Sold Out Software" versions(its the only really readily available one) of RB3D and you helped us in that area also since it has trouble installing with XP, but you figured a work around. Now Rabu has that info posted on his site http://rhoag.com/

I'm not sure what might be able to be improved in the game from the OpenGLide side of things. I know there are game limitations like the 2MB texture limit. Some things do slow down the game still like chat in multiplayer and ground objects in SP or MMP. I'm pretty much just an end user, not really computer literate so whats game related and whats .dll related I don't know.

Reply 9 of 12, by Slice

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Glidos wrote:

What problems remain that we think are down to OpenGLide?

Well with more than 4MB texture limit set (worse as you try to use more) you get texture tiles starting to corrupt as time progresses.

It would be nice to use more texture memory.

With ATI cards there is the problem with having to turn off sun glare, and green gun flashes.

But mostly it works well - thanks!

I am currently running Red Baron 3D @ 1280x1024 at around 70fps with 6X AA and 16X Ansi looks sweeeet with the HA5 model and OTE landscape patches installed.

--
Slice

Specs
Althlon 64 4000+
Gigabyte GA-K8NXP-SLI nForce 4 motherboard
2GB Ballastix DDR500 memory
Audigy 2
Ati X850XT Pro
400GB SATA RAID 0
NEC 3500A 16X DVDRW

Reply 10 of 12, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Snover wrote:

You manually coded the RSA crypto stuff?

Yeh, first attempt doing it from scratch with long arrays of bytes looked promising, but then turned out to be about 1000 times to slow. Turned out, though, that BCmath is fast enough to do it; still takes 10 seconds or so to calculater the codes.

Reply 11 of 12, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Slice wrote:

Well with more than 4MB texture limit set (worse as you try to use more) you get texture tiles starting to corrupt as time progresses.

That's a problem to do with the Glide version of the game being incompatible with the new textures. Apparently, all is well if the new textures are kept to the size of the originals.

It would be nice to use more texture memory. With ATI cards there is the problem with having to turn off sun glare, and green […]
Show full quote

It would be nice to use more texture memory.

With ATI cards there is the problem with having to turn off sun glare, and green gun flashes.

The ATI cards don't have paletted textures, but a friend of mine (Robin Watts) suggested that some of the new features of OpenGL (like point sprites) might be used to emulate palettes; so maybe one day.

But mostly it works well - thanks! I am currently running Red Baron 3D @ 1280x1024 at around 70fps with 6X AA and 16X Ansi loo […]
Show full quote

But mostly it works well - thanks!

I am currently running Red Baron 3D @ 1280x1024 at around 70fps with 6X AA and 16X Ansi looks sweeeet with the HA5 model and OTE landscape patches installed.

Blimey, that does sound nice.

Reply 12 of 12, by Slice

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for your explanations & comments Glidos, it would be cool for a mod maker and someone like yourself to produce an all singing beautiful package from the emulator/graphics/models and sell it 😁

I paid for the Promised Lands Full Canvas Jacket patch for Red Baron 3D about 3 months ago (and many others have) even though development is only just reaching completion (it's that good!).

A perfect RB openglide would round it off nicely.

http://www.wingwalkers.org/jasta1/merchand.htm

--
Slice

Specs
Althlon 64 4000+
Gigabyte GA-K8NXP-SLI nForce 4 motherboard
2GB Ballastix DDR500 memory
Audigy 2
Ati X850XT Pro
400GB SATA RAID 0
NEC 3500A 16X DVDRW