VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

A while ago I added True3D support to Glidos, but it worked only on Zalman monitors, which I can imagine people haven't rushed out to buy just for the sake of using Glidos. Now in v1.44 I've added support for red/blue anaglyph, so you just need cheap glasses.

Attachments

• Filename
    tr-anaglyph.jpg
    File size
    292.59 KiB
    Downloads
    955 downloads
    File comment
    The start of the Cystern in True3D
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
Last edited by Glidos on 2009-06-20, 15:03. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 1 of 41, by Kippesoep

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That looks quite cool, but I think the inter-eye distance is a bit too large. In that screenshot, the images are so far apart that I found it difficult to focus properly until I moved an extra 5 ft. away from my monitor.

My site: Ramblings on mostly tech stuff.

Reply 2 of 41, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The setting is just right to give the impression of actually being there. If you can get it 5ft away then you can do it close up. It's just a case of relaxing your eyes and letting yourself look through your monitor. It's all adjustable in any case.

Reply 3 of 41, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Here's an example playing Redguard, with the distance enhanced (factor 8000) - that makes Sirius look small but gives a deep 3D effect.

redguard3.jpg

Attachments

• Filename
    Redguard3.jpg
    File size
    239.57 KiB
    Downloads
    656 downloads
    File comment
    Redguard in True3D
    File license

Reply 4 of 41, by Kippesoep

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just for comparison, could you show one with the red channel shifted some 166 pixels to the right? (Or all channels 83px towards the middle of the screen) When I quickly rig that up in PaintShop, I finally see a true 3D image rather than just two separate ones. That also seems to match all the other anaglyphs I have.

Looking "through" the monitor is intended for regular stereograms, not anaglyphs. Take a look at the samples here: Anaglyph image @ wikipedia.

My site: Ramblings on mostly tech stuff.

Reply 5 of 41, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Kippesoep wrote:

Just for comparison, could you show one with the red channel shifted some 166 pixels to the right? (Or all channels 83px towards the middle of the screen) When I quickly rig that up in PaintShop, I finally see a true 3D image rather than just two separate ones. That also seems to match all the other anaglyphs I have.

Sure. I'll do one later. It's easily adjustable in Glidos's config.

Looking "through" the monitor is intended for regular stereograms, not anaglyphs. Take a look at the samples here: Anaglyph image @ wikipedia.

That's not really true. Yes, most anaglyphs are set up with low eye separation just so that it's easy to register your eyes on the images, but there's no reason why anaglyphs should be any different to any other type of stereograms, and for playing a 3D game, you really want a set up that gives the effect of being in the game environment, rather than looking upon a little model. Ideal is the eye separation for scene items at infinity to be exactly the distance between your eyes measured in pixels on the monitor used to view the scene. It does then take a little practice at first to register the images, but it's worth the effort for the immersive effect of being in the game environment rather than a spectator.

Reply 6 of 41, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yuk! A little dragon skeleton just infront of the monitor. That unnerves me. 😁 Should be easier to register the images though.

redguard4.jpg

Attachments

• Filename
    Redguard4.jpg
    File size
    238.14 KiB
    Downloads
    675 downloads
    File comment
    Redguard again. Easier initial image registration
    File license

Reply 7 of 41, by Kippesoep

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That's not really true. Yes, most anaglyphs are set up with low eye separation just so that it's easy to register your eyes on the images, but there's no reason why anaglyphs should be any different to any other type of stereograms, and for playing a 3D game, you really want a set up that gives the effect of being in the game environment, rather than looking upon a little model. Ideal is the eye separation for scene items at infinity to be exactly the distance between your eyes measured in pixels on the monitor used to view the scene. It does then take a little practice at first to register the images, but it's worth the effort for the immersive effect of being in the game environment rather than a spectator.

The thing is that they eyes always focus on something. In the image, there should be a place where the channels overlap perfectly (that is the point of focus). This will be the spot that would appear level on the screen. For that game shot, this is most likely to be the actual player character (or the dragon skeleton). In practice you never look straight ahead to infinity. When covering each eye in turn, the object that you're looking at will stay in the same spot relative to your fov. Everything else moves within the fov, but it also appears less sharp. Thus in practice separation this large is rarely seen, especially non-blurred. I think that is what feels wrong with this image to me: lack of a focus point.

With the kind of glasses that I wear, normal stereograms (or SIRDS) are always blurry too (I'm near-sighted in one eye, far-sighted in the other -- which is corrected when actually focussing on something).

And yes, this image looks much better to me 😀 Definitely cool work!

Reply 8 of 41, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Looks at something 100 yards away and the lines of sight from your eyes are parallel within 3minutes of arc.

It's just practice honestly. When I first started working on this, I had trouble getting the images registered: I couldn't at first help looking at the monitor. Now I just expect to be looking in on a room as though my monitor is a window, and I see it immediately.

I couldn't see colour in anaglyph images at first either. They just alternated from red to cyan. But again that's something I've gotten used to and they look perfectly well coloured now.

Reply 10 of 41, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hi John, I think it could be done, but I'm not sure it would help. Whatever colours you see on a monitor, it's only an illusion. Really its all red green and blue. I think there are only a few possibilities that work red/cyan, blue/yellow, green/magenta.

Cheers,
Paul.

Reply 12 of 41, by sexyjw

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi Paul,

I just realised that you thought I meant for different colour lenses. I didn't - I still meant red/cyan lenses, but just a method of being able to tweak the red/cyan a little, to get the perfect match to the specific lens in use.

JW

Cheers

JW

Reply 13 of 41, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

No sorry. I didn't explain very well. I meant that tweaking wont help because only exact red/cyan glasses will work (due to the fact that monitors produce only red green and blue. As an aside I was mentioning that exact blue/yellow or green/magenta - if such glasses existed.

Reply 14 of 41, by wizard

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

check out some tomb raider 3d images on TombraiderForums.com>Tomb Raider Series>Tomb Raider Underworld>TRU in Nvidia 3d stereo vision

I see a deep 3d effect on these images in just seconds, however I'm having trouble with Glidos 3d. So I tried to adjust the Glidos 3d monitor to make Glidos look same as those other 3d images.

Adjust offset to 15 makes separation between cyan and red about same as those images, but looking at Lara, the left Lara is cyan...how do you adjust the 3d monitor to make the left Lara red?

Reply 15 of 41, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yeah 15 would probably give the same results as the Underworld examples, if that's what you want. With those I see a little 3" Lars climbing a small cliff that's just about 4" behind the screen. The default set up for Glidos is harder to get used to, but gives a full size Lara in a full size environment viewed through the monitor as though it is a window.

The left Lara is red and the right is cyan (except in my most recent post where Sirius is in front of the monitor). It's the same in both Glidos and Nvidia's driver. What makes it confusing is that dark parts of the red image can look cyan and dark parts of the cyan image can look red. Look at the light parts to determine which way around they are.

Reply 16 of 41, by wizard

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

thanks for that explanation, I too noticed that when the colors are darker the stereo effect changes.

In this case, the red and cyan are clearly observed to be cyan on the left and red on the right.

The stereo eye glasses have a red left lense, and so it follows I believe, that the left Lara should also be red, instead of the cyan I get with Glidos.

You mentioned eariler that a simple change to Glidos config file will alter the red-cyan placement...could you please explain how to change the StereoMap entry to place the red image to the left of the cyan image for those of us who would like to see the difference while playing the game?[/img]

Attachments

• Filename
    lara 3d.jpg
    File size
    43.75 KiB
    Downloads
    716 downloads
    File license

Reply 17 of 41, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
wizard wrote:

thanks for that explanation, I too noticed that when the colors are darker the stereo effect changes.

That's not what I said. The stereo effect does not change with dark images. The red image looks red where it is bright, but looks cyan where it is dark (just as it should). That is what is confusing you.

In this case, the red and cyan are clearly observed to be cyan on the left and red on the right.

Nope, the red image is on the left. Look at bright parts of the image, not the dark bits.

The stereo eye glasses have a red left lense, and so it follows I believe, that the left Lara should also be red, instead of the cyan I get with Glidos.

My glasses also have a red left lense. You are right that that implies that the left Lara should also be red, which is the case. The top image in this thread has the red Sirius on the left, but most of him is dark and looks cyan. Look at the bright bits on his sleaves. They are red. Looks also at the bright parts of the bones. They show up red on the left. The birds on the other hand are entirely dark on a light background, so the red image looks entirely cyan.

You mentioned eariler that a simple change to Glidos config file will alter the red-cyan placement...could you please explain how to change the StereoMap entry to place the red image to the left of the cyan image for those of us who would like to see the difference while playing the game?[/img]

The red image is to the left, but if you want to reverse the stereo, just stick the glasses on upsidedown, or bend the parts that rest on your ears backwards.

What you really need to do though is adjust the eye separation down so that you can get past the problem of not being used to looking through the monitor rather than at it.

Reply 18 of 41, by wizard

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thank you, your explanation of the bright and dark parts within the image has made it clear, and I now understand what you are saying.

I tried your suggestion with the 3D glasses...looked at a 3D image that had the proper 3D effect, then turned the glasses upside down and the effect was gone.

Then I tried viewing Tomb Raider in Glidos with the glasses on as normal and the 3D effect was now working. So I didn't try Glidos with the glasses upside down, but was looking for what was different when I was unable to see the 3D effect.

I am playing on a laptop and the LCD wide-screen has sometimes been a bit darker on the right half of the screen...however at the moment while Glidos and 3D are working, the screen is normal and plenty bright.

So for now I will assume LCD screen malfunction was causing the viewing problem. (I thought I should have compared the game on my system with a CRT monitor, and now I wish I had before reporting a problem)

Thanks for developing this 3D effect for Glidos, it really adds a new dimension to playing the Tomb Raider game 😀

Reply 19 of 41, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

That's great news. Glad it's working for you now.

The problem may have been also something to do with the wide separation set up as default with Glidos. That certainly takes most people a while to get used to.