VOGONS

Common searches

Switching CD's - DOSBOX for Mac - Gabriel Knight 2

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by highnrg

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey,

I am currently running Gabriel Knight 2 in Dosbox for Mac osx.

I have the pc version, all 6 cd's ... I just don't have a pc anymore.

Everything is working great, except when I come to the end of chapter 1, it asks me to change cd's. I can't open my cd drive 'cause the program is using it, and there's no way to eject it from dosbox.

I've read about imgmounting, but I am so confused.

I am currently trying to copy each CD onto my hard drive as an ISO file, but it's not working.

How can I get all 6 CD's mounted on my hard drive, so I can imgmount the game... and what would be the ms dos code to make it work??

PLEASE HELP!

Reply 1 of 16, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

You need to master a couple of things:

1) Make images of the CD's. Sometimes ISO-images will do, sometimes you need to create BIN/CUE images. Don't ask me how.

2) Use the IMGMOUNT command to mount multiple images on a single drive-letter. See the README file.

3) Use CTRL-F4 to rotate between the images when the game asks you to switch CD's. I am not use if a simple CTRL-F4 works on MacOSX. You might need to also press Fn, Apple-key or some other magic key.

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 2 of 16, by highnrg

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I am pretty sure I almost have it...

I got 2 of the disc images on my desktop. One is "volume_id" the other is "volume_id 1"

if i type...

imgmount d: /volumes/volume_id/ -t iso
it says MSCDEX is running and good to go.

I think type...

imgmount e: /volumes/volume_id 1/- t iso

same message.

but then when I go to run it, it can't find the 1st cd.

However...

If i just type...

mount d /volumes/volume_id/ -t cdrom -usecd 0

it loads and works and i can play but i cant switch cd's.
(so i know the paths are correct.. )

I'm just missing something small... that like specifies to load the first cd first.

please help!! im trying so hard to master this.

Reply 3 of 16, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

you didn't create an image by only using imgmount.
You really need to make an image (which is a file) and mount them all in one line

imgmount d image1.cue image2.cue image3.cue -t cdrom

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 4 of 16, by highnrg

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

How are they not images? I am pretty sure they are... I dont have either of the cd's in my actual computer...

But the cd icons are still on my desktop. They are .iso files, because thats what the original CD's were.

To rephrase, I have both CD1 and CD2 on my desktop, and neither of the cds are in my computer.

if i add the .iso to the filenames in dosbox when i am imgmounting, it says that it can't find the file...

Reply 5 of 16, by highnrg

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

okay i just typed, 'imgmount d: "volumes/volume_id" "/volumes/volume_id 1" -t cdrom

and it read it and said, "mscdex: mounted subdirectory: limited support.

then if i type D: it says, 'drive d does not exist! you must mount it first"

what am i doing wrong 🙁

Reply 7 of 16, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank
highnrg wrote:
I am pretty sure I almost have it... […]
Show full quote

I got 2 of the disc images on my desktop. One is "volume_id" the other is "volume_id 1"

if i type...

Is your desktop called /volumes?

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 9 of 16, by highnrg

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

holy #*&$(#* it worked!

thank you so much.

I basically had my system unmount the cd's and just had the isos on my desktop.

also, i verified the path of the iso's, an i thought they were in /volumes/ but they were not.

thank you for all of ur help!!!

amazing program!

Reply 10 of 16, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
MiniMax wrote:
highnrg wrote:
I am pretty sure I almost have it... […]
Show full quote

if i type...

Is your desktop called /volumes?

The Sierra CDs were usually labeled "VOLUME_ID"

Reply 11 of 16, by highnrg

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Qbix knew what I meant... and also knew I was trying mounting the CD image when it was already mounted in my system.

The reason I was using /volumes/ is because thats where mounted CD's are 'stored' in my mac...

However, the key is to mount the .iso from DOSbox, not have it already mounted on my mac.

Reply 12 of 16, by IIGS_User

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
highnrg wrote:

However, the key is to mount the .iso from DOSbox, not have it already mounted on my mac.

To be complete this thread, the path to Mac's desktop folder is
"/Volumes/Macintosh HD (the boot drive name)/users/yourname/desktop/"

But I would recommend to store the stuff in your documents folder in "DOSGames/CDs" or something, which would lead to
"/Volumes/Macintosh HD/users/yourname/documents/DOSGames/CDs", besides a standard C drive folder in your "/documents/DOSGames" folder,
probably called "Drive C".

This can be shortened to
"mount c "~/Documents/DOSGames/Drive C/"

In Mac OS X, the ~ sign can be generated by Alt+n, but while in DOSBox, activate num key, hold down alt while typing 1 2 6.

Klimawandel.

Reply 13 of 16, by ookverbermin

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I am having a similar problem, but I'm running dosbox in windows 7. I'm playing Privateer 2, with the disk's burned to ISO's and mounted with virtual clone drive. The second two disks are just cut-scene video's but when the game asks me to "insert disc two" nothing I do works.

Reply 14 of 16, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

C'mon, stop posting your question all over years old topics again and again! Read the readme, especially the imgmount part.

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 15 of 16, by ookverbermin

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Dominus wrote:

C'mon, stop posting your question all over years old topics again and again! Read the readme, especially the imgmount part.

Read it, still need some help. Sorry if that offends you, but you do realize it would have taken you no more time to actually answer my question than it did just to post telling me to go read it somewhere else.....

Reply 16 of 16, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Closing this topic. Please next time, don't hijack threads that have almost nothing to do with your problem (except that the game uses CDs). And when mods point out that you shouldn't hijack threads don't be like that.

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper