VOGONS

First post, by ben401

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi, i've been trying to play Terminator Future Shock on my mac under dosbox, but can't seem to get it running past the introduction and the briefing of the first mission. Everytime the first level is loading, i get a crash of the game (but dosbox doesn''t quit, see the included pic to see what's happening in the dosbox window and the terminal window).

I am on mac, 10.5.7, intel chip, with dosbox 0.73, any help would be appreciated! Before posting i took a look at the forum to see if anyone had the same issie but couldn't find anything 🙁

Thanks a lot!

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Filename
    Picture 1.png
    File size
    442.23 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 2 of 17, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Won't likely run fast enough to be playable without core=dynamic, but it's worth a try.

Other things to try:
- make sure you've got the latest patch (http://patches-scrolls.de/ is a great site for old game patches)
- try using dos32a in place of dos4gw

Reply 3 of 17, by ben401

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Switching to normal core did the trick, seems to be playable to me, but since the dynamic core crashes, i have nothing to compare to be sure 😀

Anyway, is this game supposed to crash with the dynamic core, or is it sort of a mac related issue? I can reproduce this issue with both a 0.72 and 0.73 dosbox compiled by myself and the 0.73 binary provided on the website.

Just curious, what would be the command you have in mind to fiddle with xms and ems? And how to replace dos4gw by dos32a?

Thanks a lot guys!

Reply 4 of 17, by ben401

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

and i can't get the 1.30 patch to work, it's always complaining about a "error ept0036: old file not found. However, a file of the same name was found. No update done since file contents do not match." for the SHOCK.EXE file, the thing is the file is indeed there 🙁

Reply 6 of 17, by ben401

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

That's pretty much what i did, or what i thought i did 😀

here's the commands i used:
imgmount d /Volumes/Downloads/future_shock.iso -t iso
mount c /Volumes/Downloads
d:
install

future shock was then installed in the games/shock directory

i put the patch in the games directory (tried with it too in the shock directory and the root directory with the same result)

c:
cd games
tfs130.exe

it asked me for the path to the future shock directory so i gave shock, and it's giving me the error i mentioned earlier.

Did i do anything wrong in the process?

Thanks a lot!

Reply 10 of 17, by ben401

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

no i took care to put everything in the shock folder under read/write permission for everyone.

Sadly running the patch from a floppy doesn't help neither 🙁, but thanks for the suggestion...

I'll try to run this game and the patch tomorrow at work on my linux machine to see if i encounter the same issues I'm having here...

Reply 12 of 17, by ben401

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

On my linux machine at work, future shock is able to play correctly (same iso, same install), without having to switch from the dynamic core to the normal one and it's much smoother 😀 Seems to be a mac related issue 🙁

Will see about the patch later on...

[Edit] same issue with the patch though...

Reply 13 of 17, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank
ben401 wrote:

Seems to be a mac related issue 🙁

That is half-way to finding a solution!

Unfortunately, only the Windows and Linux versions are built by the core DOSBox team. The Mac version(s) are supplied by various volunteers. Which compilers, which optimization flags, and which 3rd party libraries they use are unknown.

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 14 of 17, by ben401

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Like I said, the issue also appeared on the exec i built by myself. I didn't change anything in the code, just a simple ./configure followed by a make (like for all the libraries needed by dosbox), I couldn't really do much more 😁.

Anyway thanks to everyone and if someone wishes to investigate and need some more infos or some testing, I'd gladly help... It would be so much more convenient to play Future Shock at home rather than at work 😜

Reply 16 of 17, by ben401

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Here's what i got from the /proc/cpuinfo on my linux machine at work:
processor : 0
vendor_id : GenuineIntel
cpu family : 6
model : 15
model name : Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E4500 @ 2.20GHz
stepping : 13
cpu MHz : 1200.000
cache size : 2048 KB
physical id : 0
siblings : 2
core id : 0
cpu cores : 2
fdiv_bug : no
hlt_bug : no
f00f_bug : no
coma_bug : no
fpu : yes
fpu_exception : yes
cpuid level : 10
wp : yes
flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov
pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe nx lm constant_tsc arc
h_perfmon pebs bts pni monitor ds_cpl est tm2 ssse3 cx16 xtpr lahf_lm

a uname -m indicates i686 which means linux 32bits if i'm not mistaking.

My mac is an iMac, intel Core 2 Duo 2ghz, with os x system 10.5.7.

Thanks and tell me if you need anything else 😀

Reply 17 of 17, by ben401

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

A little more investigation on my side 😀

I'm actually able to play Future Shock in dynamic mode on my mac too 😀. When I start dosbox in dynamic mode and loads a future shock games created on a previous session (made with normal mode), it's loading correctly and I can play... until the next loading point, that is whether the next level, whether each time you enter a door (a "loading" text appears on the screen each time for both of them).

So I guess the problem can be narrowed by saying that the loading points (each time a "loading' text appears on the screen) make the game crash in dynamic mode on mac. In all other situations, the dynamic mode behaves correctly.

Was it helpfull, I'm not sure 😁, but who knows...