VOGONS

First post, by StormRyder

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have a Pentium I system with the old-style keyboard connector and a serial connector for the mouse. No PS/2 anywhere. However, I have a serial-to-PS/2 adapter plugged into the serial port for the mouse. And I have an old PS/2 mouse, which works with it, but doesn't work well probably because it's old and has lots of accumulated dirt/crud inside.

I want to get a replacement mouse so that it works better. It should be simple... but apparently it's not. 😒 I have tried a couple PS/2 mice now, but neither of them work. Only my original mouse works. This mouse, when I look on the underside of it, says, "Serial & PS/2 Mouse". The other ones don't say that; in fact, one of the ones I tried was an optical PS/2 mouse.

So my first question is, 1.) is there a special subset of PS/2 mice which are designed to work with these serial-to-ps/2 adapters, but most ps/2 mice will not work? I am pretty certain now that the answer is yes, but I want to just be completely certain.

2.) Now, if that is the case, how do I go about finding such a mouse? Will they all state, like mine does, that it's a serial as well as ps/2 mouse? Or are there any other traits to look for? It sucks because at this rate I might end up just accumulating ps/2 mice with none of them working... People on freecycle.org have mice available but I don't want to waste time going around getting them if they just won't work anyway.

Reply 2 of 11, by QBiN

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

rumbadumba is correct. A PS/2 mouse must specifically state it also works as a serial mouse in order to work in a serial port with it's correct adapter.

As to where to find them? Try your local computer thrift store or eBay. Just search for "serial mouse". I just searched ebay and found many serial mice for the choosing... including original microsoft serial mice which would be easy to find drivers for any old OS.

Reply 7 of 11, by akula65

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I bought my current mouse about 9 years ago. It's a basic Logitech 2-button ball mouse, and it came with a serial adapter for attachment to the PS/2 connector. According to the box:

With the combo connector, the mouse just plugs into your available port, whether it's a serial or PS/2 port. There's no software to install.

The Logitech Model is M-CAA42, and the P/N is 811441-0000. I did a web search, and there are apparently still places that sell this particular model including the following:

https://www.pacificgeek.com/product.asp?ID=77103&C=225&S=s

I haven't purchased anything from this place, so caveat emptor. At any rate, you now have at least one specific model number to look for.

This particular model has a small circular piece on the bottom in which the ball rests/floats, and this piece can be removed so the ball can be completely removed and cleaned, and the rotating sensor cylinders can be cleaned as well.

I haven't used the mouse in a serial port, so I can't comment on its performance in that regard.

Good luck on the search!

The serial connector is a 9-pin connector. You didn't mention whether you had a 9 or 25-pin connector.

Reply 8 of 11, by bestemor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If you want to use more modern ones, this gadget should give you some flexibility:
http://www.vetra.com/327text.html

Ok, so it's not _very_ cheap - about the same as a decent new mouse.
But if they were selling it locally(at all) to that price, personally I'd buy it...

Reply 9 of 11, by StormRyder

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ah thanks for the suggestions, guys! Well the adapter gadget thing is a bit too rich heh. For my situation, I would need a power supply with it, too. "The unit is powered from a 5V DC wall mount power supply which is purchased separately. " But that's really interesting they have that kind of stuff.

But the fact that there's that ps/2 / serial mouse out there, that's cool. Thanks for the model. 😀

I do have a 9 pin connector. I didn't think there were 25 pin connectors in existence -- for mice, that is. I thought the 25 pin ones were only for printers or something like that. That's why I didn't specify. Anyhow, that mouse should work nicely if I were to get it.

Reply 10 of 11, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

9-pin and 25-pin serial connectors existed, and you could get adapters to go either way. Parallel connectors were also 25-pin, but had opposite gender from serial to help reduce confusion.

Reply 11 of 11, by samudra

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have been using Logitech Trackball devices since the early nineties.

The one from the 486 era is PS/2 and comes with 9-pin AND 25-pin serial adaptors. Work great. So great actually that I was unaware of this possible PS/2 / Serial compatibility issue until much later.

It is worth looking into their mice.

This is not a QEMM error.