VOGONS

First post, by PowerPie5000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just recently got myself an immaculate Packard Bell Executive 9005-D 😀

The specs:

Intel Pentium 75mhz CPU (i also have a spare P-133mhz CPU)
48mb of EDO RAM (2 x 8mb simms + 2 x 16mb simms)
8gb Fujitsu hard drive (did come with a 1.2gb noisy Seagate drive)
8x Sony CD drive
ESS Audiodrive 1869F ISA with Dream wavetable (did come with a crap unknown Aztech ISA sound/modem card)
Intel Triton 430FX motherboard chipset
Onboard 1mb Cirrus Logic 5430/40 video chip (nothing sucks more than this!!! give me S3/ATI/Matrox anyday 😁 )

This is probably one of the best condition retro systems i have ever seen! the only thing that has slightly yellowed is the CD drive... everything else is immaculate as the previous owner had it boxed up in a cupboard for years!

Oh and it only cost me £4 😎

Reply 3 of 10, by PowerPie5000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have installed the Pentium 133mhz CPU and it is now using a 4mb S3 Virge DX instead of the crap onboard 1mb Cirrus chip, i have installed a Maxi Sound 64 Dynamic 3D ISA card (ESS 1868F) with Dream wavetable (the Aztech sound/modem card was terrible).

Funny thing is windows 95 still detects the onboard Cirrus video chip although the S3 card is working fine? I do not see any jumpers to disable onboard video and i read somewhere that the PB640 boards automatically disables onboard video when a PCI video card is being used..... so why does the old Cirrus still show up in device manager??

I would like to show some pics of the system but this site does not allow me to upload them from my PC.

Reply 4 of 10, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

That's really interesting. You've checked for an onboard jumper - have you also checked the BIOS setup area? Try putting the PCI graphics card in all the slots. It's possible that the mobo expects the graphics card to be inserted in to a specific slot number, in order for it to disable the onboard video.

Reply 5 of 10, by PowerPie5000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have the S3 graphics card in PCI slot 1 and an Orchid Righteous Voodoo 1 in PCI slot 2 (the board has only got 2 PCI slots and 3 ISA slots - using a riser board). I have checked the bios and cannot see anything to do with the onboard video...and there are no video jumpers on the board 😖

Do older video cards have an IRQ assigned to them? I can't quite remember and i know new cards need an IRQ assigned to them. Neither my Cirrus or S3 card have an IRQ.

As far as i know by doing a bit of research, the motherboard in this Packard Bell system is a "Thousand Oaks PB640".

Reply 6 of 10, by PowerPie5000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well i swapped PCI slots and that did not make a difference... i can plug the monitor into the S3 and it will work fine but if i plug it back into the Cirrus all i get is beeps and a blank screen (with the S3 still plugged in). So i assume the Cirrus video is actually disabled but somehow windows still knows it's there!

Reply 9 of 10, by PowerPie5000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
valnar wrote:
PowerPie5000 wrote:

Just recently got myself an immaculate Packard Bell Executive 9005-D 😀

Not sure if I should be happy for you or not. 😉

I got it for £4! It is complete and looks almost new - apart from the slight yellowing on the old CD drive. Anyway it is retro enough for me and it may have been a slightly crap system back in the day but these days it does not matter 😁

Also i can upgrade and add/change hardware in this system just like any other... i've had no problems changing the CPU, Sound card and hard drive.... the S3 Virge works perfectly but the old onboard Cirrus chip is still being detected by Windows? This is not a real problem anyway 😀

Reply 10 of 10, by bushwack

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
PowerPie5000 wrote:

Orchid Righteous Voodoo 1 in PCI slot 2

Click Click boom! I run a Orchid card too with the infamous clicking when it's activated. Great way to know exactly what 3d card is running in your system when you fire a game up.

Nice setup, maybe overclock that P75 or drop the P133 in.