VOGONS

First post, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This is interesting. No really, come back!

Both these cards work, if you don't install them together:

AGP Voodoo 3
PCI Creative AudioPCI CT5803 soundcard

But if you install them together, the soundcard is "knocked out". That is to say, you can't hear anything at all from it - as if it's been muted. Very strange. I've never seen that before.

I tried this test on 2 mobos, both slot 1 - Asus and Supermicro.

Reply 2 of 13, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
BigBodZod wrote:

You are not placing the cards in adjacent slots are you ???

If I remember correctly, the AGP Slot + the first PCI Slot share the same IRQ 😉

That's a good point, but in the tests I did, I only tried PCI Slots #2 and #3. I purposely avoided PCI Slot #1.

Reply 3 of 13, by BigBodZod

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The only other thing of note is that older and possibly some of the newer Creative Labs PCI cards were really finnicky on BUS mastering and PCI timings, when other cards shared the PCI bus then many times the Creative Labs Cards went into BRAT mode and said NO 🙁

In this case you have an Audio PCI card, was it a model from just after the Creative Labs purchase of Ensoniq ????

If so then it's just a rebranded/relabeled Ensoniq card, not sure if they have any drivers that can be had or not but it's possible this may solve the issue.

No matter where you go, there you are...

Reply 4 of 13, by PowerPie5000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

On some boards the AGP slot and PCI slot 1 are shared - you can only use one or the other and not both! This is also true for some boards that have 5 PCI slots.... PCI slot 5 cannot be used if an AGP card is installed.

I generally only use PCI slot 2 for sound cards as it does not share any IRQ's with VGA cards - in my experience anyway 😀 I am also quite sure PCI slot 3 shares the same IRQ as the VGA card.

This does not apply to all motherboards.

Reply 5 of 13, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Oops. I removed the AGP Voodoo 3 card, and replaced it with a simple S3 PCI card, but the Creative AudioPCI card now won't work - I just hear silence whenever I test play a sound from Control Panel -> Sounds. I tried reinstalling its driver, but no joy. I tried reinstalling the 440BX chipset drivers too, but that didn't help. I'm fairly sure I'm using the correct driver for the soundcard - audiopci driver for es1373 chipset soundcard - it was working OK an hour ago...

Reply 6 of 13, by PowerPie5000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
retro games 100 wrote:

Oops. I removed the AGP Voodoo 3 card, and replaced it with a simple S3 PCI card, but the Creative AudioPCI card now won't work - I just hear silence whenever I test play a sound from Control Panel -> Sounds. I tried reinstalling its driver, but no joy. I tried reinstalling the 440BX chipset drivers too, but that didn't help. I'm fairly sure I'm using the correct driver for the soundcard - audiopci driver for es1373 chipset soundcard - it was working OK an hour ago...

I have no idea why it's doing that?? Does it have a jumper for line out or speaker out? I remember the jumper cap falling off one of my sound cards and all i got was total silence!

Reply 7 of 13, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It's quite a simple looking card. I think it's from a Dell machine. I found a "stock photo" of it on the net. The only difference on my card is that the main chip has a sticker on it which simply reads: 2

When I go in to Win98SE's Control Panel -> Sounds, and select any sound to play - when I click the play icon button, it "sticks" on play, and never returns to its "stop position". (I hear silence.)

Attachments

• ct5803.jpg
    Filename
    ct5803.jpg
    File size
    96.79 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 8 of 13, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

AudioPCI sucks in every way. That's all there is to say. 😀

It was an interesting card back in its time only because it was one of the first PCI sound cards and it also was the first such cards to support DOS games. Oh, and it has DS3D 4 speaker support but this mode is very basic and limited on it. Its MIDI is atrocious and I had lots of PCI latency sound distortion problems with it.

Last edited by swaaye on 2009-09-10, 18:20. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 9 of 13, by PowerPie5000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I used to have that exact same card and it was sold as a Creative Sound Blaster PCI 128.

Try downloading the PCI 128 drivers from here: http://support.creative.com/Products/ProductD … e=Sound+Blaster

I recommend "thoroughly" removing your old drivers first and then insert your sound card into PCI slot 2. Also there may be an option in your bios to update or reset configuration data settings for plug and play hardware.

EDIT: I would recommend getting a Yamaha based PCI sound card... they are cheap with great Dos and Windows support. I have this exact model in my PIII system: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Sound-Card-SP-724-Yamah … id=p3286.c0.m14

Reply 10 of 13, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I think I've tried all of those Creative drivers. No joy. Perhaps the card is faulty? To satisfy my curiosity, I'm going to get another one (they cost peanuts) and try again. In the meantime, the Yamaha card looks good. Was it released during Win95's reign?

Reply 11 of 13, by PowerPie5000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
retro games 100 wrote:

I think I've tried all of those Creative drivers. No joy. Perhaps the card is faulty? To satisfy my curiosity, I'm going to get another one (they cost peanuts) and try again. In the meantime, the Yamaha card looks good. Was it released during Win95's reign?

I believe they came out before Windows 98.... These things have drivers for Dos, Win 3.1, 95, 98 and more! My old PIII system is using an Intel SE440BX-2 motherboard and both the Yamaha card and my motherboard have an SB-link connector for the best Dos compatibility! (SB Pro 2.0 with true OPL3). It also supports Roland Sound Canvas and General Midi for Dos games running under Windows.... it sounds great!

If you look at the link i provided in my last post you will see the SB-link cable that comes with the sound card.... this will plug into most Intel 440BX based motherboards and maybe other boards too....

Reply 12 of 13, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Problem solved. 😀 The soundcard was faulty. 10 minutes of digging about inside boxes in the attic produced another CT5803, and it worked instantly.

I'm still going to investigate the Yamaha though. Thanks a lot for the tip. 😀

Reply 13 of 13, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I got one of these Yamaha PCI-based soundcards, and tested the legacy sound in a DOS game running under windows 98, but it locks up the machine. (I think my control panel settings are OK.) Does it work without the link cable? - I'm not using that cable. Thanks.