VOGONS

my two reto rigs

Topic actions

First post, by bushwack

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just joined so I figured I'd post up a couple of my retro devices.

Here is my DOS/Win95 rig, all parts/software is dated 1997 or earlier:
Abit AB-TX5 [Intel 430TX chipset]
Pentium 200 MMX [intel Socket 7]
64MB (32mb x 2) 60ns EDO DRAM
IBM Deskstar DCAA-34330 4.3gig 5400rpm Hard drive
Hitachi CDR-8130 16x CD-ROM
Mitsumi 1.44 floppy
Diamond Stealth 3D 2000 Pro 4MB PCI [S3 ViRGE DX]
Orchid Righteous 3D 4MB PCI [3Dfx Voodoo]
VideoLogic Apocolypse 3Dx 4MB PCI [NEC PowerVR PCX2]
Sound Blaster AWE64 Gold ISA
KTI 10Mbps PCI NIC
Enlight 4 bay tower case
Enlight 250w AT power supply

p200f.JPG
p200b.JPG

And here is my Win98 rig all parts/software dated 1999 or earlier:
Abit BX6 r2 [Intel 440BX chipset]
intel Pentium 3 600E
128MB Crucial PC100
IBM Deskstar DJNA-370910 9.1gig 7200rpm Hard drive
Toshiba 32x XM-6202B CD-ROM
Mitsumi 1.44 floppy
2x 12MB Diamond Monster 3D II in SLI [3Dfx Voodoo2]
Diamond Viper V770 Ultra 32MB [nVidia TNT2]
Diamond Monster MX300 [Aureal Vortex 2]
CNet 100Mbps NIC
Enlight 4bay tower case
Enlight 250w ATX P/S
Win98SE O/S

c300f.JPG
c300b.JPG

Last edited by bushwack on 2010-08-20, 00:55. Edited 7 times in total.

Reply 1 of 21, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Your P200 system is very similar to a machine I ran in the late 90s. It's even in the same Enlight tower case. That was one of the best AT cases I ever owned, but it had one major flaw...the front panel was a real bitch to remove when you wanted to get inside to change something.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 2 of 21, by bushwack

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Your right, the front panel is crazy tuff to get off but I've gotten used to it. It involves a Scooby Doo technique, like having your foot against the door while pulling on the nob. 🤣

Reply 4 of 21, by Amigaz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Nice, clean rigs with yummy stuff inside them.

I'm a fan of these enligh cases too...I house my P66 rig inside your case "little brother" only thing that annoys me with my case is the crappy airflow..it's only the PSU that draws out the hot air and my P66 and SCSI harddrive produce quite alot of it
Enlight also made the case for the Amiga 4000T 😉

My retro computer stuff: https://lychee.jjserver.net/#16136303902327

Reply 5 of 21, by bushwack

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The Enlight power supplies are original to the cases but I installed new fans in them. I ported the exhaust and installed wire grills to help cut down on noise and also get better the air flow. The difference is surprising.

Reply 7 of 21, by bushwack

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hehe, you would be surprised how many games can fit on a 4.3gb HDD 🤣.

On the P200 I have everything from The Lords of the Realm II, Descent, MDK, Carmageddon to Dungeon Keeper.

On the Celeron Voodoo 2 machine I have stuff like Quake 2, Powerslide, Carmageddon II, Heretic II and Star Wars (Pod) Racer.

Ultimately I have currently 633+ PC games in my collection, all retail stuff, no copies or warez.

Reply 8 of 21, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

633+ PC games is awesome! Have you played them all? 😉 Several months ago I bought several boxes of old PC games which boosted my total a bit! Have you bought anything from gog.com yet? A few days ago I bought Might & Magic 1-6 compilation, for just $10.

Reply 9 of 21, by ih8registrations

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm not a fan of compilations, you don't get all the game material, if anything just a pdf of the manual on a CD. Games like from Microprose have a lot of added stuff like maps, posters, overlays, etc. Anyone ever run across a site that tracks game extras/box material?

Reply 10 of 21, by bushwack

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

No I haven't bought anything from gog, All mine are the real deal. Here is my Might and Magic 1-6 compilation. 😁 It's still sealed and I've actually never played any of the M&M RPG games, been meaning too for years now...I do love the Heroes strat series though.
mam6.JPG

ih8registrations wrote:

I'm not a fan of compilations, you don't get all the game material, if anything just a pdf of the manual on a CD. Games like from Microprose have a lot of added stuff like maps, posters, overlays, etc. Anyone ever run across a site that tracks game extras/box material?

I can live with compilations but I'm against digital downloads unless you just can't find the game on ebay or the net and really want to play it badly. I really hate Steam, I bought L4D and I thought it blew, but now I can't sell it and get some on my money back. 😒 So far Steam games or digital downloads are not listed in my data base unless they came in retail packaging.

Reply 11 of 21, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Re: M&M special edition - that's a great looking box you've got there! I think it's quite rare now - well to get a sensibly priced copy anyway. That's why I went for the $10 gog.com deal. I've never used Steam, I just get a few titles from gog when the ebay alternative is out of my price range. I'd love to collect lots of old big box games, but space is the problem.

Reply 13 of 21, by bushwack

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Upgraded my Pentium 200 box from a AWE64 Value to a AWE64 Gold. The midi output is acceptable to me, and I already had it. I have a original Diamond Monster Sound (before the MX300) with the midi module but I'm out of PCI slots.

I am bidding on a Roland LAPC-I btw, how much these things usually sell for? And should I have kept my mouth shut about that? 🤣

Reply 14 of 21, by 5u3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
bushwack wrote:

I am bidding on a Roland LAPC-I btw, how much these things usually sell for? And should I have kept my mouth shut about that? 🤣

I think I have found the offer you mentioned. It has good chances to stay below the usual overinflated prices these cards usually fetch.
Go for it and good luck!

Reply 15 of 21, by bushwack

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
5u3 wrote:
bushwack wrote:

I think I have found the offer you mentioned. It has good chances to stay below the usual overinflated prices these cards usually fetch.
Go for it and good luck!

Last one sold for over $300 I just noticed, think I'm gonna stick with my AWE64 Gold for awhile. Most of the games in my collection are from 95' and up and on CD.

Reply 16 of 21, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I never won anything on eBay by bidding on it ahead of time. The only way to win at a reasonable price (unless noone else is interested enough to bid) is to snipe at the end and hope your bid is higher than that of the other snipers. Really kind of a stupid system.

I lost out on a really nice MT-32 in box with manual etc. because I wasn't able to get online when the auction ended and snipers won.

Reply 17 of 21, by bushwack

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
HunterZ wrote:

I never won anything on eBay by bidding on it ahead of time. The only way to win at a reasonable price (unless noone else is interested enough to bid) is to snipe at the end and hope your bid is higher than that of the other snipers. Really kind of a stupid system.

I lost out on a really nice MT-32 in box with manual etc. because I wasn't able to get online when the auction ended and snipers won.

If I truly want something off ebay I use myibay.com and insert my snipe right away. It's never failed me. The only reason why I loose an auction now if it just goes for more then I'm willing to pay.

Reply 18 of 21, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I never got into eBay buying enough to use tools like that, but they sound like a good idea. Mostly I just bought a couple Roland synths and a bunch of NES games over the summer of 2005 😀 I've been wanting to build my NES collection some more but haven't been able to justify it since I haven't been playing NES games much this year.