VOGONS

First post, by Cloudschatze

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I apologize if this has been mentioned before, but I'd like to point out some differences in the playback of the OPL rhythm sounds between an actual OPL2, and the DOSbox 0.73 emulation cores. I'm afraid that I lack the ability/knowledge to assist in making it better, but hopefully, this might help someone who can.

Bass Drum, Snare Drum, Tom, Top Cymbal, Hi-Hat:

Rhythm - OPL2, 44.1kHz WAV (analog)

Rhythm - DOSbox 0.73 "OLD" core
rate=49716
oplmode=opl3
oplemu=old
oplrate=49716

Rhythm - DOSbox 0.73 "COMPAT" core
rate=49716
oplmode=opl3
oplemu=compat
oplrate=49716

Rhythm - DOSbox 0.73 "DEFAULT" core
rate=49716
oplmode=opl3
oplemu=default
oplrate=49716

Rhythm - DOSbox 0.73 DRO

Zeliard, Introduction (partial):

Zeliard - OPL2, 44.1kHz WAV (analog)

Zeliard - DOSbox 0.73 "OLD" core
rate=49716
oplmode=opl3
oplemu=old
oplrate=49716

Zeliard - DOSbox 0.73 "COMPAT" core
rate=49716
oplmode=opl3
oplemu=compat
oplrate=49716

Zeliard - DOSbox 0.73 "DEFAULT" core
rate=49716
oplmode=opl3
oplemu=default
oplrate=49716

Zeliard - DOSbox 0.73 DRO

Last edited by Cloudschatze on 2009-06-03, 01:40. Edited 3 times in total.

Reply 1 of 27, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

I had to use the 48000 mixer rate in DOSbox, due to instability when specifying 49716.

What instability? Try high fixed cycles and record stuff then, even if it sounds
choppy the recording should be ok.

Reply 4 of 27, by Cloudschatze

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
wd wrote:

I had to use the 48000 mixer rate in DOSbox, due to instability when specifying 49716.

What instability?

I'm not sure if instability is the right word for it, rather, random pitchy "bleeps" occur during real-time playback. I wasn't able to clear this up with any amount of changing either the CPU cycles or the mixer blocksize, but apparently, it may not bear any relevance anyway - the actual 49716 captures seem to be error-free, as you mentioned.

[Edit: Bah, I'd posted some re-captures, but will need to do so again later. My Audacity settings were affecting the exported Bit Rate...]

Reply 6 of 27, by Zorbid

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Vlanar: The reason? Free (GPL) code, faster (better code base?).

I agree with you that for Zeliar, the MAME(0.72) code is closer for some parts. For the rhythm, I find dbopl(0.73) colser to the real thing than MAME.

These files are wierd... If you remove 9 samples from the 0.73 rhythm file, the baseline noise is sample for sample identical to the 0.72 one. But the onset of the drum samples are slightly different, making it impossible do diff them in one run.

The output of both emulators seem extremely similar at first sight.

Reply 10 of 27, by Cloudschatze

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
wd wrote:

Could you please add oplemu=compat to the comparison, if possible?
The generating app might be interesting as well, or dro captures.

Done. The parent post is now modified with the new and updated files.

You'll have to forgive the inconsistent start/stop points between captures; I kept out of Audacity this time around.

I hope this is of some help. If there's anything else I can do, just ask. I realize that a digital capture from the OPL2 might be ideal - I'll see what I can do. If the digital output from an AWE32 is usable, that's easily done, however, it may not be the "purest" of examples, given some of the factors involved...

Reply 11 of 27, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

but I'd like to point out some differences in the playback of the OPL rhythm sounds between an actual OPL2, and the DOSbox 0.73 emulation cores.

There's some bug (Harekietish overoptimization) in the default opl core in
two of the rhythm instruments. Thanks for putting up the samples (the other
cores are fine, up to unknown inaccuracies/differences compared to the real opl).

Reply 12 of 27, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Cloudschatze wrote:
wd wrote:

What instability?

I'm not sure if instability is the right word for it, rather, random pitchy "bleeps" occur during real-time playback. I wasn't able to clear this up with any amount of changing either the CPU cycles or the mixer blocksize, but apparently, it may not bear any relevance anyway - the actual 49716 captures seem to be error-free, as you mentioned.

[Edit: Bah, I'd posted some re-captures, but will need to do so again later. My Audacity settings were affecting the exported Bit Rate...]

The latest CVS no longer presents these bleeps or whatnot during real time playback. The actual output is still incorrect.

Reply 14 of 27, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
wd wrote:

Feel free to post comparative recording of the pre-analog output of the chip
or, at your choice, a patch against the emulation.

Since I am not able to do the latter, I may soon be able to accomplish the former, unless another beats me to it first.

What I have available is a Yamaha YMF-724 PCI card with digital optical output on an older computer. I can record that by connecting it to a coaxial digital input on a newer computer (with a converter box). This is a genuine OPL3, so it should be faithful to the OPL2 that the game would have expected.

Reply 16 of 27, by Hexacorde

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Great Hierophant wrote:

What I have available is a Yamaha YMF-724 PCI card with digital optical output on an older computer. I can record that by connecting it to a coaxial digital input on a newer computer (with a converter box). This is a genuine OPL3, so it should be faithful to the OPL2 that the game would have expected.

The MAME emulation of top cymbal and high hat is a far approximation, and has considerable differences with the real OPL2 output of these two instruments. No reason to blame them, since the rhythm documentation is really poor, and the effect of parameters in these instruments has some chaotic behaviours.

I recorded outputs from both a real OPL3 and the MAME emulation back in 2008, and it showed just that. Unfortunately, I did it in Cubase, and doesn't have it installed in my PC anymore.

So, I guess if you focus on the top cymbal and high hat, you will easily find that.

Reply 18 of 27, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

My converter box has arrived and works well. Here is a link to the recording I made of Zeliard's opening music:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/5rtnlxkmyqi/zeliard spdif.wav

I hope it will be helpful. I will post a recording of the percussion sounds once I master Adlib's Visual Composer program.

Last edited by Great Hierophant on 2010-01-21, 03:30. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 19 of 27, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

And here is the naked rhythm sounds, thanks to Adlib Visual Composer:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/mwmndzcyzym/rhythm spdif.wav

I hope these will help.

Last edited by Great Hierophant on 2010-01-21, 14:28. Edited 1 time in total.