VOGONS

Common searches

Reply 21 of 85, by andwan0

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I might test try netbooks since they now should be USB bootable. Can easily setup a MS-DOS with games on a bootable USB ( eg. with help from http://blogs.sun.com/dragonfly/entry/dos_boot … usb_flash_drive ) ... and see how it runs... ofcourse taking into account it might be a little sluggish when running off USB... but it's just to see compatibility and whether it REALLY can run without freezing or crashing.

Next problem is sound.... since most 1990 MS-DOS games mainly used Sound Blaster Pro compatible or Gravis Soundcards..... any ideas on sound? Can you get a Sound Blaster/Gravis PCMICA or USB? I think the last Sound Blaster Pro compatible was Audigy 1??

Reply 22 of 85, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Menkau_ra wrote:

On ebay there are many batteries for Libretto. It is not a problem. If I will find a good deal, I will buy one.

Don't buy a battery that is more than a few years past its manufacture date. They age regardless of usage.

Reply 23 of 85, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
andwan0 wrote:

Next problem is sound.... since most 1990 MS-DOS games mainly used Sound Blaster Pro compatible or Gravis Soundcards..... any ideas on sound? Can you get a Sound Blaster/Gravis PCMICA or USB? I think the last Sound Blaster Pro compatible was Audigy 1??

Most of the previous page was discussion of sound. You won't get sound in DOS from any recent machine because nobody makes DOS drivers anymore. Even when they did, the PCI sound chips are terrible for compatibility and put out some really terrible FM / MIDI. DOSBOX is the only option IMO for both max compatibility and quality.

Reply 24 of 85, by WolverineDK

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

swaaye: then let us wrap the sound compatibility from DOSbox around the sound processor, cause making a little fucker like the PSP into a DOSbox, is just another emulation machine again. Then I would rather take the Libretto and work from that point. Because that is already an X86 machine.

Reply 25 of 85, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It really just comes down to whether or not your device can run DOSBOX. DOSBOX is essentially the ultimate DOS PC. Instead of being built out of old school obsolete buggy non-standardized disaster zone hardware, it's pure clean software designed to run DOS games first and foremost.

And since CPUs just get faster and faster, eventually everything will be able to run it no problem. We're almost there. And there are people working on dynarec CPU cores for non x86 CPUs so that will make it work better on phones and such.

Last edited by swaaye on 2010-01-26, 20:54. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 26 of 85, by WolverineDK

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

swaaye: I think you are a fan of the portabilising people like Ben Heckendorn among others . After all he is one of the big "gurus" in that area.

Reply 27 of 85, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yeah I like portables and small devices. Netbooks in particular were very exciting when they arrived because you can get for $400 or so what used to cost > $2000. PDAs were great too. I had a Sharp Zaurus 5500 that ran Linux and people ported all sorts of crazy apps to it. I was running ScummVM and Doom ports w/ software MIDI back in 2002. But that was definitely a pointless novelty and that's why PDAs went bye bye.

However, I'm not into the "smart" phones or portable game machines because the screens are too small IMO. When I was a kid I had a Gameboy and Game Gear but these days staring at those tiny screens gives me nausea and that is a great way to cancel out fun! 😀

By the way, I am about 90 miles from Milwaukee, where Ben Heckendorn goes for the Midwest Gaming Classic convention. I might have to go to that!

Reply 28 of 85, by Cloudschatze

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
swaaye wrote:
Menkau_ra wrote:

Back in 90's I remember there was a perfect laptop for that! It called Toshiba Libretto...

I bet it has audio issues with DOS. 😁

The OPL3-SAx provides hardware SBPro and WSS compatibility in DOS.

It's not a perfect solution, but all the same...

lib_qfg4_s.jpg

lib_hq_s.jpg

lib_u72_s.jpg

Reply 30 of 85, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The Librettos are mini subnotes from an era when few really cared about machines that small because of 1) cost 2) loss of functionality. Netbooks are the result of companies learning how to build mini subnotes with fewer drawbacks and the availability of dramatically better hardware.

Advantages for netbook:

-touchpad
-bigger and significantly better screen
-display adapter that scales well
-thinner
-wireless ethernet built-in
-3x USB 2.0 ports
-DOSBOX will run many more DOS games and run them better
-vastly superior video accelerator with DX9 D3D support. Intel GMA will run Win 3D games up to ~2002 fine. It can run Glide emulators fine too.
-hardware that's not painfully slow for modern apps?
😁
2517611774_0b09e33827.jpg

Really, I'm not sure why one would choose a retro-mini at this point. The only advantage I can think of is the ability to run Windows 98SE. But is that really an advantage?

Reply 31 of 85, by Cloudschatze

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

While the Libretto is rather neat, I actually prefer the netbook + DOSBox combination as a portable, DOS-gaming solution. (I, too, have an ASUS Eee PC 900.)

Bet you didn't see that coming, eh? 🤣

Reply 33 of 85, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
swaaye wrote:

You guys are forgetting at least one major DOS challenge. There was never good notebook sound hardware for DOS.

Hey! Don't knock the CS423X chips! I love them!

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 34 of 85, by andwan0

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Just bought myself Toshiba Libretto 100 off eBay. Going to test it out for MS-DOS and maybe FreeDOS also.... and also Windows 98SE.

I am planning to get myself a netbook also... and in future an Open-Pandora (once they get better at it ironing all the nacks and crookies - since they're still early stages).

Reply 36 of 85, by BloodySword

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Some years ago, I noticed something werid. I managed it to run a SB Live 5.1! under DOS. Commander Keen worked... But... The sound was really strange and crappy. I think the OPL commands were reinterpreded as GM or something. It sounded very strange, not as the good old FM sound from the Yamaha chips... I tested Prince Of Persia 1 (v1.0), too. The sound was as strange as of commander keen. Only the PCM-Sounds of Prince were normal.

I used a special DOS driver for the SB Live 5.1 wich I downloaded at Creative Labs. Don't know if this download is still there. It gaves some strange mode and managed it to emulate an SB Pro ISA card, redirected the commands to the PCI card and then the sound came. But as I mentioned, very strange sound.

I had Windows 2000 dual boot with MS DOS 6.22 on a Pentium III 1,1 GHz machine with 512 MB or 1 GB RAM. Don't know how much I had...

Reply 39 of 85, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Not too many C-programmers could create device drivers, besides that a
driver is quite useless in this case unless the device already behaves like
a dos-common sound card or you're able to translate/emulate device
calls for such a device.