VOGONS

Reply 20 of 33, by Smiling Spectre

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Qbix wrote:

the label issue was fixed. Wd found that it checked all strings (so ART3 and Daggerfa) against the label, but it seems that mscdex (unlike regular dos) doesn't change the casing of the label to uppercase. (which we did as we assumed that the label of the cdrom would be treated the same as regular drive labels)

Erm... Sorry, for upping this again...

But today I tried to start Daggerfall again (yes, I didn't touch it last year), and NOW (in 0.73) bug reappears! 🙁

Something don't made it's way from CSV, I presume?

Reply 22 of 33, by Smiling Spectre

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thank you, rcblanke, but I need not tool for running Daggerfall (As I already pinpoint problem two years ago, I can simply made "correct" CD from real one in DOSBox 😀 But this problems already was resolved once, and it was DOSBox problem! So my intend is point on this for current release. 😀

Reply 25 of 33, by Smiling Spectre

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Qbix wrote:

you mean with a using a CD image ?

In fact, yes. I used real CD in 2008, but since then I copy it with Nero, this image was on my HDD till now, so I used it. It worked in 2008, with your CSV-version. 😀 Now I tried to mount it with DT, then nothing. "Not original disk". When I mount it in DOSBox as -label DAGGERFALL, it works, just as before fix. So I assumed that this fix wasn't included in latest DOSBox.

No, I didn't tried imgmount. But I presumed, it must be no difference?

Reply 26 of 33, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

DAGGERFALL is the wrong label
it is Daggerfall
and imgmount does make a difference else we wouldn't be speaking of it.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 27 of 33, by Smiling Spectre

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

1. Real label is Daggerfall. But it not recognized in DOSBox, if I mount existing CD (through DT mount. But, I suspect, real CD will rise the same issue. I doubt that DOSBox can differ real ones from DT-image. I can be wrong, of course). But if I mount the same image with label DAGGERFALL, issue got resolved - just as it was before you made fix for described case: "it seems that mscdex (unlike regular dos) doesn't change the casing of the label to uppercase."

2. As you said it, I presume, that IMGMOUNT will resolve issue. I need to convert existing MDS/MDF to ISO for that, I presume? Anyway, is it not must behave the same way as "simple" CD-mount? I don't want , of course, to cut out img-functionality. 😀 I want to expand "real disks mounts" back. 😀 As it was in developers builds in 2008. 😀

Reply 28 of 33, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

I checked our code. as long as the -t cdrom flag is present the label set function will be aware of not making it all uppercase. for cdroms we read the the first sectors of the cdrom to find the label. so we should get the real label from DT as well. Given that lowlevel access is available

Reply 30 of 33, by Smiling Spectre

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
robertmo wrote:

Smiling Spectre can you stop supposing and finally check it ?

There is several problems with that. 😀

1. I want to Daggerfall CD working as it should. That was not available when I checked it last time. And I checked it as recoded CUE/BIN image (that was on my HDD from 2008), original MDS/MDF that I made in first time, and tested it in -t CDROM -usecd -ioctl mode and in simple -t CDROM. Both modes didn't give me needed result so I wrote here. I didn't think that any other mode (like mounting CD directly from the DOSBox) could give me another results - but it is irrelevant actually, because my main purpose is not playing DF (I can do it now with some or other trick), but making DOSBox working "right".

But as I can theoretocally be wrong in most forementioned points, I underlined every time that everything here only my supposing, and not directions, hard facts or what else. 😀

2. Main problem with quick check is that my games at home and internet writing is on work. So I read at one time and check at another. That adds whole new level for supposing. 🙁

Sorry for all this offtopic.

Qbix wrote:

as long as the -t cdrom flag is present the label set function will be aware of not making it all uppercase. for cdroms we read the the first sectors of the cdrom to find the label. so we should get the real label from DT as well. Given that lowlevel access is available

Hmm. Strange. I have DOSBox tuned to made -ioctl from the start, and it gave me access to CD. But I didn't checked it... long ago, can't remember how far. Ok, I will check my settings for that. Sorry beforehand for all this idle chatting if in result it will becomes problems with my settings. 🙁

---addition---
Qbix, something in DOSBox still not work.

1. I use DOSBox 0.73 (I checked also ykhwong's tweaked 0.72 - no difference).

2. I tried DT-mount and direct DOSBox image mount (darn, I forgot again to check real disk mount 🙁

2.1. For DT I used simple -t CDROM and advanced -ioctl, -usecd.
2.2. For imgmount I used CUE/BIN and ISO.

3. Every time it was "real" CD-ROM letter - it's letter I, from that I installed DF under XP and reinstall later from DOSBox. It is first CD-letter (second is Z).

Every time I can see content of CD under DOSBox, and every time DF keeps saying "it is wrong disk, insert original one". When disk simply absent, DF says "no disk, insert it".

Also every image recognized under XP, and simple mount with -label DAGGERFALL under DOSBox instantly resolves issue too.

What's wrong?

Stop! Are you said before, that MSCDEX NOT made it uppercase?! Last time, as I understand, it was taken as error? 😀

Oh, forgot it, I read carefully, and it seems, it must not made it uppercase. Oooh. Now I don't understand anything. 🙁

Reply 32 of 33, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

since the game was released as freeware I deleted my iso of the game.
Not very handy to test it

Reply 33 of 33, by Smiling Spectre

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Qbix wrote:

since the game was released as freeware I deleted my iso of the game.
Not very handy to test it

Uh-oh. 🙁

Well, I can wait. 😀

As I see, there is some strange problem with MSDEX. "Strange" - because I don't know, how it is must work and how it is working actually.

It seems that game itself wants label DAGGERFALL. And MSCDEX returns "correct" Daggerfall, so DF don't want it. So it is obvious that MSDEX must made label all uppercase... but from the other hand, you said that you fixed this error of MSDEX, and that it made it uppercase before fix. But it didn't work before fix, become working after it - and now not working again. It wouldn't be at all, theoretically speaking, or must be vise versa... %) I am confused.

Well, there is no rush really, simply I am too perfectionist. Sorry.