VOGONS

First post, by Myloch

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This is a very old dos program. The app used to work correctly with old pc. Now it gives protection error 23204 and quits to dos after first introduction screen (in dosbox and real dos). I'd like to add attachment with application but I think it's not legal here so I wait for suggestions.

Reply 1 of 9, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

For dosbox 0.73 try the prefetching core. Other than that if it doesn't work
in DOS it won't work in dosbox either...

Reply 2 of 9, by Myloch

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

still no luck...however I remember that it worked in the past, and the floppy is the original one with no bad sectors. weird

Reply 3 of 9, by h-a-l-9000

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Y2010 issue? 😁

1+1=10

Reply 4 of 9, by Myloch

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

🤣! I don't know. 😅 Famitap was a software to improve your skills with keyboard typing. This was part of Ibm Famipack, the software bundled with my long dead Ibm ps/1. I suspect that this weird error message maybe has something to do with keyboards that we use nowaday, that are different from oldest ps1/2 ones.

Or maybe in the past era, famitap got corrupted in some way, unluckily it is not so easy to find another user with this pack and check if my copy is good or not.

Reply 5 of 9, by peterferrie

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It's searching within the ROM data for the string "(C) COPYRIGHT IB", which is probably not found in any modern BIOS, and definitely not in DOSBox.
I'll make a patch for it later.

Reply 6 of 9, by Myloch

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

so it search for original ib* personal computer...🤣!

Last edited by Myloch on 2010-03-15, 00:49. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 7 of 9, by peterferrie

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There's now a patch on my site (pferrie.tripod.com) which bypasses that check.

Reply 8 of 9, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Hope you're sure this doesn't infringe any copyright.

Reply 9 of 9, by Myloch

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

hummm...it was part of original software included with my ps1 and my father actually paid for that pc (and it was costly) so imho I have the right to be able to use that again (even now) if I want. but I don't want to start an off topic discussion about copyrights. the problem with the application is solved now so the topic can be closed. 😀