VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by samsoule

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,
first of all i'd like to say "good work for this emulator"
(even if i don't know whether or not it is the good thread to say that ...)
But like on scumm vm (which contains a lot of graphic filters available : 2xsai, supereagle etc..) i think, that for some games that are very old and pixelated 2xSAI would be better than the curent one .

So my question is : will there be more filters (especially the 2xSai which allow more blur) in the next release ?

and by the way, when the next version will be released ? i can't stand waiting !!!! 😀 this software is so cool 😀

Bye bye

Reply 1 of 5, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

thank you for all your praises.

about your question: Maybe but no direct plans.

But keep in mind that scale2x does allready take much cpu power. Imagine what it the system requirements will be if we add even heavier filters.

There exist actually people who find the big pixels part of the old school experience. 😀

But if someone submits a decent patch which adds for example 2xSai. We will probably accept it, but we don't have plans on adding it ourselves in the near future.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 2 of 5, by Harekiet

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

It's also slightly annoying that 2xsai needs 16-bit data as input and we only have 8-bit so you'll need an extra step for it, which ofcourse will make it even more slower 😜

Reply 3 of 5, by samsoule

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

does anybody know an utility that could enhance the graphics on DOS games (like the filter in dosbox) ? i mean that could do some bilinear filtering or 2xSai on DOS games ...

even if it is not a DOS emulator ....😜

Reply 4 of 5, by Zorbid

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Harekiet wrote:

It's also slightly annoying that 2xsai needs 16-bit data as input and we only have 8-bit so you'll need an extra step for it, which ofcourse will make it even more slower 😜

I thought that you converted the graphics to the desktop depth by yourself (not by letting SDL do the conversion)

there are 32bit 2xSAI implementations

Reply 5 of 5, by Harekiet

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

In the current dosbox blitters i handle the display depth conversion myself yeh, since i'm already working with the pixel data, it's a bit overkill to first scale2x from 8-bit to 8-bit and then let sdl convert that from 8 to display depth.

2xsai is somewhat more annoying since it doesn't have an 8-bit paletted version and only works with direct color modes. Then you can't really do it in a single step. Especially if you wanna use mmx to actually have to some speed with it 😀