How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 3 of 13, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Qbix Works as well
Worked even earlier

Don't forget the outrageous processor requirements, though. Even WC1 chugs on my 1.7GHz Celeron in DosBox. Plus, it still bombs out on that demo from the main menu.

I'd hate to see what running WC2 is like.

Reply 4 of 13, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

You shouldn't rely on the 0.584 speed though.
(i didn't compile like I should when it's an official release)
but it's weird you experience it that slowly.

Do the celeron have a very small cpu cache or so ?

Water flows down the stream

Reply 6 of 13, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Qbix You shouldn't rely on the 0.584 speed though.
(i didn't compile like I should when it's an official release)

Well that's good to hear. I had thought you had made some kind of "core" change (I admit I haven't kept detailed track of all the changes going on within DosBox) that I had missed.

Do the celeron have a very small cpu cache or so ?

CPU Properties:
CPU Type Intel Celeron 4, 1700 MHz (4.25 x 400)
CPU Alias Willamette Lite, Willamette-128
CPU Stepping E0
Original Clock 1700 MHz
L1 Trace Cache 12K Instructions
L1 Data Cache 8 KB
L2 Cache 128 KB (On-Die, ATC, Full-Speed)

Originally posted by Zorbid AFAIK, the Celerons based on the P4 core don't have much cache, indeed.

Since I was running on a low-budget at the time (as opposed to my present "no budget"), it was the proper choice. It was $79 for my 1.7GHz Celeron and AS40GT motherboard. It would've been an additional $100 or so for the P4 equivalent.

Reply 7 of 13, by LSD

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So does this mean DOSBox is a little closer to actually running real games? WarCraft uses DOS4GW doesn't it?

Wasurenaide...
...watashi ga iru koto o.
Itsudatte soba ni iru yo.

Gentoo. Because everything else is just shit. 😁
Registered Linux user #319839

Reply 9 of 13, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

When protected mode was introduced in the gaming world
Graphics became more important than gameplay.

So I'll stick to the not so real games.

(But yes, protected mode support is partly present)

Reply 10 of 13, by LSD

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The CVS code does seem to work with DOS4GW stuff, I emerged it last night and in addition to getting the Duke3D setup program running (which really was the only reason I installed it in place of 0.58) I managed to get Terminal Velocity (albeit godawfully slow) running. How long before this matures into full-blown support for protected mode games?

Wasurenaide...

Reply 11 of 13, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

As you see speed is a big issue. It's not that the protected mode support isn't full blown (it's quite complete actually) it's just "slow".

But that is an issue being worked on, but you would require quite a fast cpu before you can run duke3d (which actually runs with the right settings)

Reply 12 of 13, by LSD

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I don't need to run Duke3D in DosBox, icculus.org took care of that for me already 😉 What I needed from Dosbox was the ability to generate and edit the DUKE3D.CFG files without b0rking up the mouse sensitivity settings (and without having to reboot into Windows). 0.58 wouldn't let me do that, 20030809 CVS did. Shadow Warrior and Terminal Velocity are completely different kettles of fish but I can wait for them, I've been waiting to play TV for over three years (it's never worked right since I bought my old TNT1) a few more months won't hurt.

Wasurenaide...

Reply 13 of 13, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by LSD So does this mean DOSBox is a little closer to actually running real games?

*heh*
It's been running "real" games from the beginning. I would like to see better support for my imaginary games, like StarControl4 and KingsQuest12.

Originally posted by LSD Shadow Warrior and Terminal Velocity are completely different kettles of fish but I can wait for them, I've been waiting to play TV for over three years (it's never worked right since I bought my old TNT1) a few more months won't hurt.

Both require Pentium and need VESA emulation if you're going to run them properly in DosBox. I suspect you'll be waiting for a good, long time.