VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Ladyhawk

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

OK, I've tried everything I can think of and I absolutely cannot get my Sidewinder 3D Pro working properly under D2X or Glidos. Obviously, I'm focusing on Glidos here.

I've tried everything I can think of, including the old Joyfix file by Stormshark (didn't work). I even tried to enable joystick support through VDMS, but got this error message:

Configuration - COM Error

Unable to initialize and configure emulation module 'JoystickController'.

EmuJoystick.JoystickCtl.1
(a bunch of hex code here...tell me if you need it)

0x80004004 - Operation aborted
The value 't' in A.analog.T is invalid. Please provide one of the following values:

blah blah blah

I think I'll try "Z" which is usually recognized as the throttle and get back to you, but as of now, this isn't working. 🙁

Also: if anyone has any bright ideas about how to get the SW3DPRO working under D2X, I'm all ears. I tried Joystick-to-Mouse, but it didn't have enough axes. PTHTHTHT

|_ /\ |) `/ |-| /\ \/\/ |<

Reply 1 of 8, by Ladyhawk

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

OK, now Glidos has stopped working entirely.

First it flashed that annoying logo on level 1 of the mines. It isn't supposed to do that, is it? Now it just crashes to desktop whenever I try to start Descent 2.

Unless someone has an iron-clad way of getting the SW3DPRO joystick working, I give up. This was even more frustrating than trying to get the joystick working properly under D2X.

Reply 2 of 8, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Ladyhawk OK, I've tried everything I can think of and I absolutely cannot get my Sidewinder 3D Pro working properly under D2X or Glidos.

Well, then Paul (GliDOS) is the one you want to be speaking to...the rest of us are simply indentured servants.

I even tried to enable joystick support through VDMS, but got this error message:

Hrrm...Are you trying to run VDMSound on Descent2 while it's running in GliDOS? I don't think that will work as GliDOS is already running VDMSound on it at startup. Might not be understanding you correctly...

Also: if anyone has any bright ideas about how to get the SW3DPRO working under D2X, I'm all ears.

There's not a whole lot of joystick experts here. I didn't even have one hooked up to my PC until I needed to test "Evil Twin" which required a stick. I've got my hands full just trying to get these things running. Hope someone else has better input...

Reply 3 of 8, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I've had my sidewinder work with Descent II under Glidos. Can't remember any problems, except I didn't like playing it like that, and went back to the mouse.

In any case, if it is crashing that needs sorting out first. If it used to work, and now doesn't it has to be a system change. A piece of software has no moving parts to wear out. It can't of its own volition stop working.

Reply 5 of 8, by Ladyhawk

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've had Glidos up and running twice and still can't get the joystick working. I have to use VDMSound because I'm running Windows XP. Perhaps VDMSound is interfering with Glidos?

I don't want to bother getting Glidos running (again) if I don't have more information on getting it to work with the old Sidewinder 3D Pro.

System Info:

IWill KK266 (KT133A chipset)
Athlon T-Bird @1 GHz
768 MB PC-133 RAM
Gainward GeForce3
SB Live! Value
nostromo speedpad
Logitech MX700 mouse
Microsoft Natural Keyboard
Microsoft Game Voice
Microsoft Sidewinder 3D Pro