VOGONS

First post, by trebor

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Oil's Well still freezes in DOSBox under 0.74. It happens using Composite mode with the flashing of "Level 1".

Is there any idea what is causing this and how difficult it would be to fix?

Here's a capture of the title screen from Moby:

http://www.mobygames.com/game/pc-booter/oils- … eShotId,127896/

Reply 1 of 5, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

I think there's some timing issue; but I was able to get past the level screen by increasing cycles with ctrl-f12 and then decreasing afterwards with ctrl-f11 (because the game itself needs lower cycles than it takes to get past the level screen).

Reply 2 of 5, by trebor

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for the reply, but I already tried increasing and decreasing by 50 between the values of 100-500...No luck.

Also, some other interesting results when setting the machine type to something besides cga:

tandy = Black and white screen freezing at the "Level 1" flashing.

pcjr = Full color graphics but freezes at the last set of credits displayed at the title screen

Last edited by trebor on 2010-07-17, 19:13. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 4 of 5, by trebor

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

1500 cycles worked, thanks for the advice. Even 1000 cycles worked. This is a nice workaround until the problem is fixed. Hopefully it can be looked at and the machine/video emulation corrected so you don't have to start with such a high cycle count for the game, only to have to lower it due to the game being unplayable at such high cycle counts.

There are definitely some strange things which happen respecting this game under DOSBox. For those interested, I'm attaching the different graphic/title screen results based on machine type...

Attachments

• Filename
    vga.PNG
    File size
    313.26 KiB
    Downloads
    140 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • Filename
    ega.PNG
    File size
    275.42 KiB
    Downloads
    144 downloads
    File license
  • Filename
    pcjr.PNG
    File size
    271.21 KiB
    Downloads
    147 downloads
    File license
  • Filename
    tandy.PNG
    File size
    182.96 KiB
    Downloads
    145 downloads
    File license
  • Filename
    cga.PNG
    File size
    236.55 KiB
    Downloads
    149 downloads
    File license

Reply 5 of 5, by Servo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
trebor wrote:

There are definitely some strange things which happen respecting this game under DOSBox.

Actually it's not that strange, it's how the game would work on real machines (the only oddity is you don't have choice of monitor type, with CGA you'll get composite monitor emulation, with Tandy you'll get RGB monitor emulation even though both of these could be connected to either monitor type)

The only problem I'm having is with the PCjr version freezing at the title screen. All other modes work ok for me (DOSBox 0.74 on OSX).