VOGONS

First post, by trebor

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Both games provide better (enhanced) graphics and sound than CGA when played on a PCJR.

However, emulation of the pcjr in DOSBOX results in the following:

Boulder Dash = Just CGA graphics and PC speaker sound.
Boulder Dash II = B&W graphics and PC speaker sound.

For reference please see here:
http://www.mobygames.com/game/pc-booter/bould … eShotId,383720/

& here:
http://www.oldskool.org/shrines/pcjr_tandy/#hidden

Reply 2 of 9, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Well, PC jr. never was 100% compatible with the PC so I would expect there would be problems using functions unique to the Jr. such as the extended graphics modes. I would have to guess that more PC jr. compatibility than what currently exists would have to be programmed in to fix the problem you are experiencing.

Reply 3 of 9, by Servo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Also, if you're using the cracked Super BoulderDash (includes BoulderDash 1 and 2) version that seems to be common there's apparently something wrong with it (at least the copy I have); even on real hardware it doesn't work correctly with PCjr graphics and sound while the original disk works fine.

Reply 4 of 9, by trebor

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Servo wrote:

Also, if you're using the cracked Super BoulderDash (includes BoulderDash 1 and 2) version that seems to be common there's apparently something wrong with it (at least the copy I have); even on real hardware it doesn't work correctly with PCjr graphics and sound while the original disk works fine.

I'm not, but thanks for the information.

The "original disk work fine" comment I presume is still in utlization with a 'real PCjr hardware' and not DOSBox emulation of the system.

Reply 5 of 9, by Servo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
trebor wrote:

The "original disk work fine" comment I presume is still in utlization with a 'real PCjr hardware' and not DOSBox emulation of the system.

Correct. It's a bootable disk, so I don't know of a way to use the real disk with DOSBox.

Reply 7 of 9, by Servo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
wd wrote:

What do you mean? Same way as other booters.

Most likely it's just that I don't know what I'm doing, but I haven't figured out the command to boot a real disk with dosbox. I'm assuming I need to use the mount and/or boot command, but I haven't figured out the right syntax yet.