VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If an older D3D or OpenGL game works on Windows XP, then I can't see any strong argument in running it on antiquated Windows 98 based hardware. I'd like to know which games were published around 1999-2000 that don't work correctly on Windows XP. DirectX 7 was released around this time period, when Windows ME and 2000 were released. I believe the game "Final Fantasy VIII" (2000, DirectX 6) doesn't work correctly on Windows XP.

Also, is it reasonably safe to assume the following: if a game requires DirectX 7 as a minimum requirement, it will almost certainly work on Windows XP?

Reply 2 of 34, by sgt76

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So far I haven't found any game from 99-00 that doesn't work on XP. Though some might require a little work- SW Pod Racer comes to mind. I just use my retro hardware for an authentic flash back, so my P233MMX for 95-98 games, my P3 for 99-01 games, P4 for 02-04 stuff. Newer than that usually gets played on my main rig, unless I wanna dick around, like test HL2 on a P3 1ghz or other similar nonsense.

Reply 3 of 34, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

When your hard drive exceeds 120GB, it's time to go XP for the safe>sorry. Otherwise, Win2000.

Half-Life's earlier 1.0.x.x builds will not work on XP. XP will even warn about this.

Starsiege has problems launching in XP.

Starfleet Command never worked in XP for me, not even the latest Gold patch release.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 4 of 34, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have a "follow up" question: Apart from Glide games, can the Voodoo 5 card always be surpassed?

If a D3D or OpenGL game runs successfully in Windows XP, I'm guessing that it's always preferable to take advantage of modern hardware and avoid a Windows 98 based machine. (Unless you want to enjoy that "authentic retro hardware flashback" experience.)

If a D3D or OpenGL game does not run successfully on Windows XP, and subsequently Windows 98 is required, would a high end ATI or nVidia card always outperform a Voodoo 5 card - both in terms of speed and also image/FSAA quality? Hardware examples are Radeon 9800 and Geforce 3 - 6 series.

Reply 5 of 34, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have this thought too going around in my mind.

Basically I try to follow my own preference :

1. If a game runs well in XP, without tweaking anything, I prefer to run it in XP.

Even after the advent of Windows Vista and the almost the twin of it - Windows 7, XP still reigns supreme in terms of gaming. The only advantage I can see in using Vista/7 when compared to XP is the Tri-SLI setup.

2. If a game runs erratically or says that it is not compatible with "NT" OS while running under XP, I prefer to use it under Win9x.

But by now, most of the Win9x-based games have patches, either official or unofficial to help it run under XP.

For example, I have patched the System Shock 2 for XP, including configuring the executable to use only a single core of the quad core cpu. The advantage in this is that I can use a PCI-e card for System Shock 2, shich is otherwise impossible. I'm using a GeForce 9800 GTX (of 2xSLI-capable setup, but only using a single card) for it.

setaffinity.png

3. I prefer to use resource intensive games, - especially those games that seem to have audio stutters, which is quite noticable when the hard drive or cd is loading, in at least Win2000.

For example, playing Robin Hood - The Legend of Sherwood (a squad tactical strategy game) is smoother in Windows 2000 than any Win9x based OS.

robinve.jpg

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers

Reply 6 of 34, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

"Robin Hood - The Legend of Sherwood" looks good! 😀 I see from mobygames that it requires DirectX 8.1 and that it was released in late 2002. Therefore, would this game run very well on XP (rather than 2000)?

Reply 7 of 34, by Davros

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

there were some games that didnt run in xp but it was more a driver problem than a xp problem
eg: avp,shock2,crimson skies all have been fixed now (although not sure about shock2's dithering problem)
problems with hdd size can be fixed with resplendant resolver

janes usaf has problems with xp (some have been fixed some havnt) if you really love that game it would be worth keeping xp around

I dont know of any others that dont work

Guardian of the Sacred Five Terabyte's of Gaming Goodness

Reply 8 of 34, by Jan3Sobieski

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

@retro games 100: just to let you know, there is a fan made patch available for both Final Fantasy 7 and 8 by a guy nicknamed Aali in another forum. I'm not sure if linking to other forums is allowed here but this patch is really top notch. The whole game runs on any machine now (including xp/vista/win7 x32 or x64) in OpenGL. Numerous bugs were removed from the original games as well and it looks stunning. Normally I wouldn't recommend anything like that but trust me, it is worth it. All speed problems are fixed on modern machines and it's just the perfect way to play both games.
Here's the link to the thread:
http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=8306.0
Go to page 2 for the latest one 0.7.8b

Reply 9 of 34, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
retro games 100 wrote:

"Robin Hood - The Legend of Sherwood" looks good! 😀 I see from mobygames that it requires DirectX 8.1 and that it was released in late 2002. Therefore, would this game run very well on XP (rather than 2000)?

Yes, it runs fabulously well on XP! 😀

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers

Reply 11 of 34, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You know the Voodoo 5 card is either PCI or AGP. If I use the AGP version, then it becomes difficult to put this card in to more modern motherboards, because the card is 3.3 volts, and the AGP slot on more modern motherboards is usually 1.5 volts only. But is this limiting factor important? If I put an AGP V5 in to an older 3.3v board, and use a CPU Powerleap adapter running at about 1.4Ghz, would the V5's frame rate be just as fast compared to a PCI V5 in a more modern board using a faster CPU, eg 2 - 3Ghz. Perhaps the PCI V5 set up would be faster, if the FSAA was set to 4x and also the screen resolution was increased to a high value.

I just want to understand why people prefer to buy the PCI V5 on ebay, rather than the AGP V5.

Edit: I've just thought of a better old retro mobo for using with an AGP V5. How about a VIA chipset based KT333 board? This is the last "most modern" mobo to support 3.3 volt AGP signalling. It runs at 166 FSB (333 DDR), and can use high end Athlon XP CPUs such as the 2600+. (No ISA slots on it though.) I would really like to know if this hardware set up (KT333 mobo + AGP V5 + 2600+ CPU) would be just as fast in terms of frame rate compared to a more modern mobo (eg the KT400/nForce2 + PCI V5 + 3Ghz CPU) - even with FSAA at 4x and at high screen resolutions. If the benchmarking results are about the same, then does PCI really matter?

Reply 12 of 34, by aleksej

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
retro games 100 wrote:

when do you stop using Windows 98, and start using Windows XP?

Never. Actually until last working/repairable AWE, GUS and Roland LA/GM under the sun because for myself i primary appraise Windows 98 as handy multitasking DOS environment and secondary as OS for their native applications.

Reply 13 of 34, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
aleksej wrote:
retro games 100 wrote:

when do you stop using Windows 98, and start using Windows XP?

Never. ...

Last year I ran Quake 1 (the version "for Windows" and the OpenGL version) and also Unreal 1 on a modern Windows XP machine, and in all 3 cases these games looked great. Unreal 1 on a modern XP machine (without Glide) looked better than using it with Glide on an older Windows 98 PC, IMHO.

Reply 14 of 34, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
retro games 100 wrote:

Edit: I've just thought of a better old retro mobo for using with an AGP V5. How about a VIA chipset based KT333 board? This is the last "most modern" mobo to support 3.3 volt AGP signalling. It runs at 166 FSB (333 DDR), and can use high end Athlon XP CPUs such as the 2600+. (No ISA slots on it though.) I would really like to know if this hardware set up (KT333 mobo + AGP V5 + 2600+ CPU) would be just as fast in terms of frame rate compared to a more modern mobo (eg the KT400/nForce2 + PCI V5 + 3Ghz CPU) - even with FSAA at 4x and at high screen resolutions. If the benchmarking results are about the same, then does PCI really matter?

KT333 is indeed the best one, it's why I have my eyes open for them since a little while 😉
It should be relatively easy breaking 2Ghz on a KT333 system, if you want so.
All the more a reason why I was pissed so much after I had fried my ASUS A7V333 🙁 but I've found 1 replacement board so far.
KT266 is almost as good btw.
Theres also the other option, P4, but I have no experience with P4 so far, only from systems that were not my own.

And on topic, I barely ever use 98. I usually pick ME and XP. I might go 98SE or 95 if the system I'm building would be very limited for ME (think 64meg max cacheable ram for example) and I know there are a couple games that will run on 98SE but not on ME.

Reply 15 of 34, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

@Tetrium, I believe that some KT333 based mobos are capable of running a Barton 3000+ CPU. Apparently, these KT333 mobos are the best choice of boards to use if you are incredibly lucky enough to own an (AGP only; 3.3V) Voodoo 5 6000 model. Also, it is possible to run a 2400+ CPU on a KT133A mobo (1 ISA slot), and then either overclock the FSB or overclock the CPU. Either way, you can get about 2.1 - 2.2 Ghz speed. Also, I believe that the P4 has weak floating point processing, making the KT333 mobo/AMD CPU combo the best choice if your requirements are to use the 3.3V AGP port.

How did you fry your ASUS A7V333?

Reply 16 of 34, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
retro games 100 wrote:

I would really like to know if this hardware set up (KT333 mobo + AGP V5 + 2600+ CPU) would be just as fast in terms of frame rate compared to a more modern mobo (eg the KT400/nForce2 + PCI V5 + 3Ghz CPU) - even with FSAA at 4x and at high screen resolutions. If the benchmarking results are about the same, then does PCI really matter?

According to this firingsquad benchmark, performance difference between Voodoo5 AGP and Voodoo5 PCI decreases as resolution increases. Furthermore, the performance difference between AGP and PCI gets even smaller when you are using FSAA.

It makes perfect sense, though. Voodoo5 AGP is not a "true" AGP device. Of course, it still gets the benefits of AGP bandwidth, which is larger than PCI bandwidth, but that's all about it. As resolution gets larger, the card's own memory bandwidth and fill rate becomes the greater limiting factor.

As far as CPU goes, I don't remember the URL, but I remember reading somewhere that Voodoo5 reaches its performance peak at 2GHz. In other words, you won't get any performance increase with CPU faster than 2GHz.

retro games 100 wrote:

Perhaps the PCI V5 set up would be faster, if the FSAA was set to 4x and also the screen resolution was increased to a high value.

Actually, it is the AGP V5 that gets slower when you increase resolution and/or use FSAA. 😉

I don't think PCI V5 would ever be faster though, since both cards have the same fill rate and memory bandwidth.

retro games 100 wrote:

I just want to understand why people prefer to buy the PCI V5 on ebay, rather than the AGP V5.

I think it is because:
(1) V5 PCI is rarer, while V5 AGP is more plentiful.
(2) It's getting harder to find mobo that supports 3.3v AGP.
(3) It seems many 3dfx enthusiasts just want to test old 3dfx cards with new games like Doom 3 and Call of Duty, usually using tools like 3D-Analyze. Voodoo5 PCI is more convenient for such purpose, since newer games usually demands faster CPU as well.

Due to the lack of 3.3v AGP in newer boards, the fastest CPU that can be paired with Voodoo5 AGP is Barton 3000+, but you need the latest revision of Asus A7V333 mobo in order to do that (earlier revision does not support Barton). You should go to 3dfxZone forum and ask Obi Wan Kenobi for more details; he is the one who has successfully "gone the Barton route", and he is a nice and helpful guy.

As for myself, I have abandoned such thing. My running V5 5500 is plugged on an Epox 8KTA3+ mobo --a mobo with one ISA slot. The mobo only supports Palomino, though, but it is fast enough for older games I like.

For the future, I plan to build two separate systems for more "specialized" approach:

PC 1: this one will be based on intel 440BX and Voodoo5 5500 AGP. I think a Pentium III is slower than Palomino, but it should do nicely for old games.

PC 2: this one will be based on intel 845 mobo and Voodoo5 5500 PCI Mac. This is for games that demand more CPU (flightsims, what else? 😉 ), but still support GLide. Jane's F/A-18 and Total Air War comes to mind.

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 17 of 34, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

@KAN, thanks a lot for the info. Regarding the Epox 8KTA3+ mobo, I know this board quite well. There are 4 of these Epox KT133A chipset based boards. Two of them are "Pro", and two are "standard". The two Pro boards (one is Raid, the other is not Raid) can accept T-Bred 2400+ CPUs and even XP-M (mobile) 2400+ CPUs. If the mobo's capacitors are in good condition, you can overclock the board to about 150 - 160 - 170 FSB. If the caps are rotten, you can unlock the XP-M CPU by "knifing it", and increase its multiplier. Either way, I can get about 2 - 2.1 - 2.2 Ghz. It sounds to me, from reading your post, that I can use an AGP V5 in the Epox Pro board, and crank up the processing power to about 2Ghz - then that will max out the V5.

At the bottom of this Vogons thread, I test out the Epox Pro board by OC'ing the FSB, and OC'ing the XP-M CPU -

More fun and games with VIA's KT133/A chipset

Reply 18 of 34, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
retro games 100 wrote:

@KAN, thanks a lot for the info.

Anytime, bro. 😀

retro games 100 wrote:

It sounds to me, from reading your post, that I can use an AGP V5 in the Epox Pro board,

Wait, I'm not sure. Mine has 3.3v AGP, but it is not a Pro version. Does the Epox 8KTA3+ Pro has 3.3v AGP as well?

retro games 100 wrote:

and crank up the processing power to about 2Ghz - then that will max out the V5.

Yup, but don't expect miracles though. Once you increase the resolution and/or use FSAA, the card's memory bandwidth becomes the bottleneck.

I think it's better if you overclock the card's video RAM, but I don't quite remember the details. 3dfxZone is the place to ask for such things. Voodoo5's memory bandwidth is an even greater limiting factor than its fill rate, and it's especially true when you're using 32-bit color.

retro games 100 wrote:

At the bottom of this Vogons thread, I test out the Epox Pro board by OC'ing the FSB, and OC'ing the XP-M CPU -

More fun and games with VIA's KT133/A chipset

It's quite a nice, stable mobo. Too bad it only has one ISA slot. 😖

I'm currently using it with Sound Blaster AWE32 and Yamaha DB50XG, but the existence of a daughterboard keeps me from using my CH throttle on the system.

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 19 of 34, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman wrote:

Does the Epox 8KTA3+ Pro has 3.3v AGP as well?

I'm almost certain (99.9%) it does.

Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman wrote:

It's quite a nice, stable mobo. [The Epox] Too bad it only has one ISA slot. 😖

Two other options come to mind, in order to increase the number of ISA slots. 1) An "industrial" mobo which typically uses a P4 CPU. 2) An i440BX chipset based mobo combined with the excellent Powerleap adapter. With a bit of gentle OC'ing, you can get about 1.5Ghz. This is a great "all round" retro mobo. If you want something faster, then DOS & ISA slots naturally becomes irrelevant, and so therefore a no-ISA slot mobo can be used, such as a KT333 or an nForce2 mobo, etc...