VOGONS

First post, by Unregistered

User metadata

Right, I've managed to get System Shock 1 working on XP, the music doesn't work, but that doesn't bother me. My issue is that when ever I put it into 640 x 480 resolution the mouse speed becomes pretty much unplayably slow, however, the mouse isn't just restricted to the top corner so I don't believe that mouse2KV would sort it.
I downloaded mouse2KV anyway, hoping it would solve things, but instead it stopped the game from working altogether, had to do a fresh install.

Wondering if anyone had any ideas. Oh, and as a bit of extra info, whenever sshock loads it gives me 'com 2 error' but I just ignore that (although i used to get com 1 and com 2 error, don't know why i only get com 2 now). I'm not sure if that has any relevance or not.

Running on 2.8ghz with hyper threading (don't know if that makes a difference, I'm not exactly technically minded)
1046ram
radeon 9200 128MB graphics card.

Thanks in Advance

Myles

Last edited by Unregistered on 2003-08-25, 14:59. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 2 of 8, by Unregistered

User metadata

I may well have done something wrong, but that's not really what I was trying to get at, I was wondering if anyone else had the same slow mouse issue I had???..(it did the exact same on my old PC [P3 800]which had XP so it appears to not just be a one off occurrence on my new machine.)

If so, does anyone know of a program to sort it?

thanks

Reply 4 of 8, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Unregistered Right, I've managed to get System Shock 1 working on XP, the music doesn't work, but that doesn't bother me.

Well, music should work, so that may indicate another issue at work.

Try choosing "General MIDI" instead of SoundBlaster for music. Still nothing?

I downloaded mouse2KV anyway, hoping it would solve things, but instead it stopped the game from working altogether, had to do a fresh install.

A new install shouldn't be needed. Simply remove from whatever BAT you're using to start it up.

Wondering if anyone had any ideas. Oh, and as a bit of extra info, whenever sshock loads it gives me 'com 2 error' but I just ignore that (although i used to get com 1 and com 2 error, don't know why i only get com 2 now).

That means your serial ports were shut off (IIRC, at the BIOS-level). SystemShock will work with these ports shut off, but it won't like it.

Running on 2.8ghz with hyper threading (don't know if that makes a difference, I'm not exactly technically minded)

You never know. I'm starting to think just about anything is possible when it comes to troubleshooting DOS programs in Win2K/XP. I recently found that a bug in VDMSound 2.10 that gets triggered frequently in "XP Home", almost never happens in my "XP Pro". Similar event with a test involving "Project I.G.I.".

Reply 6 of 8, by Unregistered

User metadata

Just one suggestion...

To set mouse move proper speed with xp I did the following:

1. I run system shock
2. Started new game
3. Switched back to windows and adjusted mouse speed too high
4. Switched back to game, saved my game and quit it
5. After that changed mouse speed back to normal
Every time I loaded the game mouse was moving fast.

It worked for me...

--teemu--

Reply 7 of 8, by Unregistered

User metadata

Nice one mate. I'd tried changing mouse speed to fast in windows before, but found it didn't change anything in game, I hadn't thought to go back into windows once the game was started. All this time I was assuming it was some compatability error or something, didn't think to look at what was probably the most logical solution.

Thanks a lot.

Reply 8 of 8, by Schadenfreude

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Unregistered wrote:

Nice one mate. I'd tried changing mouse speed to fast in windows before, but found it didn't change anything in game, I hadn't thought to go back into windows once the game was started. All this time I was assuming it was some compatability error or something, didn't think to look at what was probably the most logical solution.

Thanks a lot.

*confused* MOUSE2KV or MOUSECTL do not work for you?