VOGONS

First post, by Mr_Leopard

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey guys, I was the colour problem guy.
I got that all fixed up with the following command line.

d:\>starcon2.exe /g:bios

But the problem now comes when the game starts. The title sequence plays through, no problem, and then it asks for the name of a star at some given coordinates. Now, as you know, with the installed version, you can skip that screen. However when I skip the screen (and even when I enter the name of the star) it immediately quits the program.

Do you guys know what could be the problem?
Someone told me it was a Windows conflict, but I thought the POINT of DOSBox was to eliminate conflicts with Windows.

"Would someone please explain the reason for this strange behaviour?"

Reply 2 of 12, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Mr_Leopard Now, as you know, with the installed version, you can skip that screen.

Hrmm. Only certain releases allow you to bypass it, such as the version on SegaSoft's SciFi collection. Other versions (IIRC) would cause the game to be impossible to play almost immediately, but it shouldn't crash.

Not sure what to tell you as that never happened to me, even with pre-0.58 releases. In any case, grab the hybrid 3D0/PC re-release as soon as possible.

Reply 3 of 12, by Mr_Leopard

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks anyway Gut man.

Snover wrote:

Game is trying to use an unimplemented (in DOSBox) call/function.

I TOLD YOU GUYS THAT IT WAS A BAD IDEA FOR DOSBOX TO CLOSE WITHOUT A MESSAGE!

So what should I do Snover?

"Would someone please explain the reason for this strange behaviour?"

Reply 7 of 12, by Whitewashed

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Why don't you download the remake of the game "The Ur-Quan Masters"? It works great on any Windows, Linux, BeOs, Mac, you name it.

P4 2.6GHz 800MHz FSB
ASUS P4P800 (I865)
2x512Mb PC3200 DDR
ATI Radeon 9700 128Mb
SB Audigy2 Retail
160Gb SATA 7200RPM, NTFS, FAT32
LG DVD 16/48X
Windows 2000 SP4

Reply 9 of 12, by Whitewashed

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Oh, by the way, in the version you get on the homepage the battles are just crashing. If that happens you need to get the update to the latest unofficial version, just search on the forums of the site and you'll find it.

It's at http://sc2.sourceforge.net/ by the way.

P4 2.6GHz 800MHz FSB
ASUS P4P800 (I865)
2x512Mb PC3200 DDR
ATI Radeon 9700 128Mb
SB Audigy2 Retail
160Gb SATA 7200RPM, NTFS, FAT32
LG DVD 16/48X
Windows 2000 SP4

Reply 10 of 12, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Mr_Leopard Yeah, I've given up on DOSBox.

I presume you mean only for SC2, as giving up DosBox altogether is craziness.

BTW, you might check and make sure your game files haven't been corrupted. Like I said before, I had been able to run SC2 smoothly in Dos Box for some time now...

Also, every time we suggest the 3D0/PC remake, we should mention the filesize. Not everyone has broadband....

Reply 11 of 12, by Narfrok

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

You know, I had the same problem he described above (DOSbox cancels out trying to get pas the "copy protection"), and all I did was start using the Starcon2.com instead of the .exe. It solved my problem...