Roland SCC-1A : how rare are they?

Topic actions

Reply 60 of 68, by Cloudschatze

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
aitotat wrote:

I'm the one who won the bidding on the SCC-1 with Bonus Pack manual. If the SCC-1 FAQ cannot be trusted, then does anyone have MIDI files that I could use to check if this is 317 or 354 sound version?

http://queststudios.com/smf/index.php/topic,3 … 5.html#msg31595

Reply 61 of 68, by aitotat

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks for the information and the midi file. As expected, the SCC-1 turned out to be the 317 tone version. I'm not going to do recordings since that midi file is all that is needed. Either the two chords sound the same or not. The difference can be easily heard with SCD-15.

Reply 62 of 68, by pianoman72

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

What midi player can be used to hear that linked file on the SCC-1?
I tried to use the included midi player that came on SCC-1's floppy, but it quits before the file can be played. When playing the included 6 midis on the floppy, they work fine with that midi player.

Reply 63 of 68, by Cloudschatze

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
pianoman72 wrote:

I tried to use the included midi player that came on SCC-1's floppy, but it quits before the file can be played.

That utility won't play Format 1 MIDI files. Here's a Format 0 version...

http://www.symphoniae.com/misc/comp_0.mid

Reply 66 of 68, by DjLc

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,

Since Queststudios's forum are gone, i can't find more information about this "comp_0.mid".

I'm playing it on my old rig (Win98+scc card) mpuplay.exe. I'm hearing the 2 chords : "Organ 1" on channel 1 and "60's Organ 1" on channel 2 but the sound is the same for both. So i presume i got the 317 sound version ?
Thanks

Reply 67 of 68, by Cloudschatze

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
DjLc wrote:

Since Queststudios's forum are gone, i can't find more information about this "comp_0.mid".

It's just a little MIDI file I created that demonstrates the use of the "Organ 1" capital tone instrument, followed by its sub-capital variation tone in bank 16. The SCC-1 lacks this particular variation tone, so the capital tone will sound twice (due to capital-tone fallback), whereas the SCC-1A will correctly play the distinctly different, "60's Organ 1" variation.

I will mention that playing this MIDI file to determine whether your SCC-1 has the variation tones is pointless and arbitrary. The simple fact of the matter is that:

SCC-1 = 317 tones
SCC-1A = 354 tones

If an SCC-1 isn't silkscreened with "SCC-1A," it doesn't have the extra tones. The only reason this is even questioned is because of an SCC-1 FAQ in which the author describes an incorrect means of determining the presence of the extra tones, leading to the false conclusion that some "non-A" cards have them. It's a completely bogus assertion, but one that the Internet can't seem to let go of, hence the creation of my dumb little MIDI file...