VOGONS

First post, by Dant

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

http://www.virtuavia.eu/shop/pci-32-bits-1-x- … s-adapter-.html

Mostly useless around these parts due to a lack of drivers for the older OS's for both the adapter and anything you could want to put into it.

Still, I'm sure I'm not the only one who wants to see a Radeon HD5970 running in a 486 board. 😁

Reply 2 of 5, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

3dbench is 100% cpu, so the Radeon would just be bored 🤣

But DX is another story...

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 3 of 5, by Anonymous Freak

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

That's interesting. Comes with a back-bracket that appears to be designed specifically for half-height boards. So while a Radeon 5970 is a bit ridiculous, you COULD throw in a half-height Radeon 4550, or a Matrox M9148, and drive four DisplayPort monitors off that 486. 😁 (Imagine running the original DOOM directly off a 486 on an Apple Cinema Display.)

Or.... There are ways to hack OS X onto some of the old "beige" Power Macs. I wonder if there are PowerPC drivers for the more modern video cards? Throw that Radeon 4550 into a Power Mac 7500...

Reply 4 of 5, by Old Thrashbarg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Or.... There are ways to hack OS X onto some of the old "beige" Power Macs. I wonder if there are PowerPC drivers for the more modern video cards?

There are a few PCIe video cards that work in PPC Macs, since the later G5s had PCIe. But a 4550 is probably way too new for PPC drivers. I also have serious doubts that an old Mac's firmware would get along very well with the bridge... they're picky enough with actual PCI video cards. And, you'd be stuck using Tiger, which righteously sucks on PCI Powermacs. For systems like that, stick with the Radeon 7000 PCI and OS 9.2, anything beyond that is more trouble than it's worth... believe me, I've tried.

Reply 5 of 5, by Amigaz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Old Thrashbarg wrote:

Or.... There are ways to hack OS X onto some of the old "beige" Power Macs. I wonder if there are PowerPC drivers for the more modern video cards?

There are a few PCIe video cards that work in PPC Macs, since the later G5s had PCIe. But a 4550 is probably way too new for PPC drivers. I also have serious doubts that an old Mac's firmware would get along very well with the bridge... they're picky enough with actual PCI video cards. And, you'd be stuck using Tiger, which righteously sucks on PCI Powermacs. For systems like that, stick with the Radeon 7000 PCI and OS 9.2, anything beyond that is more trouble than it's worth... believe me, I've tried.

I think the fastest PCi-E gfx card supported on the PCI-E G5's is the GF 7800GTX

My retro computer stuff: https://lychee.jjserver.net/#16136303902327