VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by digitaldoofus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Since it is Halloween, it's appropriate to ponder -- and play, if you own -- some of the SCARIEST games ever to be released. Either for the PC, or any other console/computer.

Candidates?

I'll start the ball rolling with a couple of EASY winners:

DOOM (PC)
Alien vs Predator (Atari Jaguar version)

What others are the SCARIEST games you can think of?

Once you try retrogaming, you'll never go back...

Reply 1 of 64, by Amigaz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

¤Clive Barker's Undying
¤Alien Vs Predator 2
¤Buck Rogers Countdown to Doomsday (C64), the first level scared the hell out of me when I was a youngster 😁
¤Doom 3

My retro computer stuff: https://lychee.jjserver.net/#16136303902327

Reply 2 of 64, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Doom 3
Resident Evil
Dead Space
Penumbra Overture (Bought it on Steam but haven't played it yet, it's meant to be very scary)...

Doom 3 at night in the dark with headphones will give your cardiovascular system a nice stessntest...

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 3 of 64, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Scary moment: "Rescue on Fractalus!" (8-bit game) -when the humanoid runs towards your craft, and you don't know if it's going to suddenly pop up and smash your cockpit shield.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8opv5u9nf0

Reply 4 of 64, by Jan3Sobieski

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Believe it or not, the first game that actually sent chills down my spine was Realms of the Haunting. But this was a long time ago 😉 I remember playing it a second time - not so scary anymore.

Reply 7 of 64, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Zork (when light source is about to run out)
Alone In The Dark 1.
AvP 2
System Shock 2

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 8 of 64, by vlask

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Alien versus Predator 1 PC version, not gold one (gold one had saving option, original version not).

Not only mine graphics cards collection at http://www.vgamuseum.info

Reply 9 of 64, by Concupiscence

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Amnesia: The Dark Descent, and the Penumbra games, all by Frictional Games. I will also suggest the first two Doom games and System Shock 2, and the original Fear had some moments in its last third that give me pause five years later.

Reply 10 of 64, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

System Shock 2 and the Penumbra games. I've played just about everything mentioned and these games definitely stand on top of most of them.

Oh and the spiders in Dark Messiah forced my brother to ask someone else to play those parts for him. They are definitely pretty creepy. Those folks at Arcane Studios know how to make spiders.

Reply 11 of 64, by Salient

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I remember Forbidden Forest on the C64 to scare the shit out of me when I was a little kid. 😳

MIDI comparison website: << Wavetable.nl >>
(Always) looking for: Any Wavetable daughterboard, MIDI Module (GM/GS/XG)

Reply 12 of 64, by SKARDAVNELNATE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There's only been one game that I actually dreaded playing. A Nightmare on Elm Street. Pretty much everything in the game was out to get you. Carpets, mirrors, inventory items, anything would deplete your health. The most frustrating part was just trying to get from one tile to another because of the spikes and pits strewn about everywhere. Then the enemies had a habit of appearing from off screen and blocking your path as you cross one of these traps. This was when I was much younger though. Because of how nervous I was while playing it I didn't finishing this game until I was 14. I did some maps for it last year and it wasn't as bad as I remembered.

Another game that comes close is Space Hulk. The worst part is when a Gene-Stealer bursts through a wall and is immediately in your face. Your terminators can only fight them of with a 50% success rate it seems. The other half of the time the word ambush may as well mean start the mission over. They may be inefficient but you likely need every one of them to stay alive as long as possible to succeed. In 17 years I still haven't played it from beginning to end.

Reply 14 of 64, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
DosFreak wrote:

Alone In The Dark 1.

HOLY CRAP A FUZZY WUZZY MONSTER BROKE THROUGH THE WINDOW NOW MY SEAT IS BROWN AND MY DESK IS YELLOW FROM MY INVOLUNTARY DISCHARGING OF MY ENTIRE WASTE!

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 16 of 64, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

DOOM 3. Somehow all the other games that I thought were scary before, are all overshadowed by this game. The effects are manyfold higher, when played alone in a relatively large room, in a completely dark and quiet environment, and when using surround speakers.

DOOM 1 & 2 still gives me the creeps once in a while, when you turn around and suddenly see the hellspawn just behind you.

Then again, what makes a scary game is highly subjective too.

EDIT : When playing using the X-Fi soundcard, make sure to apply the X-Fi patch for DOOM3. I still think twice before planning to play the game again. And to think that I haven't finished it yet...

[I forgot to "mark" my 'n'th post like 286,386, 486, etc. Anyway, this is my 737'th post - for Flight Simulator fans out there! 😁]

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers

Reply 17 of 64, by PowerPie5000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I honestly don't find many games to be that scary anymore. Doom 3 was a bit creepy to begin with... but it soon wore off the more i played, tyhis is also true with the F.E.A.R games.
The only games i still find scary/creepy/jumpy at the moment are Dead Space and the Fatal Frame series (aka Project Zero here in the UK).

The resident evil games have completely lost it... or maybe i've gotten used to them? Resident Evil 5 was not scary at all. Silent Hill games can be creepy, but again you get used to them after half an hour of playing.