VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by EZekeel

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

hi guys! it's me again 😄

i tried to load destruction derby 2 unter winxp, the game started but i cann see only a hacked picture. can choose settings and start races (with luck, cause i can't decode exactely what i'm seeing 😀). if i remember correctly there was a hi-res patch for the game. anybaody knows where to get it? i searched google to death but found nochting. i hope it works with this patch.

Reply 1 of 9, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Reduce D3D Acceleration.

and please read my NT game Compatibility list in Deep Thought next time you have a game problem. This fix has been in there for at least 2+ years.....

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 2 of 9, by EZekeel

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

hmm what do you mean with "reduce d3d acceleration?" i think this game does not use d3d...

okay, i read your list...there is destruction derby with a red sign...but i can't find a fix, sorry 🙁

Reply 3 of 9, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by EZekeel hmm what do you mean with "reduce d3d acceleration?" i think this game does not use d3d...

I think he means reduce the amount of "Hardware Accelleration". This is presuming your are running the Windows version.

http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/artic … s/Q263/3/91.ASP

Reply 4 of 9, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yeah, Sorry. Being away from my computer for months plus all the exercise I'm doing now has reduced my IQ and memory to neolithic levels. 🙁

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 6 of 9, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by EZekeel hmm done but still the same problem..anybody know where to get this hires patch?

Err...It's not a patch. It's the alternate version that should be installed to your hard drive along with 320x200 version.

Here are my test results:

For the DOS version:
Needs SAPUCDEX, otherwise it won't run (MSCDEX won't cut it).
INSTALL refused to work in XP due to MSCDEX problem. Period (even with SAPUCDEX) You can manually unzip instead.

For the Windows version:
In Win98, DD2 worked fine.
DD2 HiRes all video was distorted and it was unplayable.
In WinXP, DD2 and DD2 HiRes: all video was distorted and it was unplayable.
Decreased Hardware Video Acceleration down to third notch from the left. Now both work.

In Win98, you may need to reduce acceleration a bit more.

NOTE: Some weirdness I came across...

Game alternated between requiring the 1st CD-ROM drive (in the actual physical setup) and the Lowest Driver letter required for CD depending on whether I was running Win9x or WinXP and whether I was running the DOS version or the Windows version. Very confusing.

When I ran this from my DVD-ROM drive, I encountered a Freeze+Thaw effect: Many screens (including menu screens and the start of each game) appear to be locked-up for up to 8 seconds, immediately after that, they "thaw". Meaning they are no longer frozen, but horribly lagged for up to 8 seconds. This seems to happen all the time. Decreasing acceleration doesn't help.

This only happened when played on my DVD drive, when I swapped it to my CD-RW with the analog audio connection, the problem went away.

All-in-all, I'd say the best option is to run the HiRes DOS version. It ran the smoothest without speed issues and worked fine so long as you use SAPUCDEX (besides, I don't have to fiddle with video acceleration).

BTW, the only patch I found was a MultiPlayer Windows executable. Unfortunately, it appears to be horribly incompatible. Won't run more than a minute before crashing with 16-bit subsystem errors.

Reply 9 of 9, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If reducing acceleration to minimum (or none) doesn't fix the problem, I'd say you have a "non-game related" issue. Odds are, either your video card drivers/hardware or a corrupted game install.