VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by zero cool

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I just can't seem to get this working! I've got a new IBM T30 laptop with a mobile P4 1.8 and windows XP professional. I've tried all of the tricks with the memory in windows and also with VDMS (though maybe I'm doing something wrong?). It always tells me that I don't have enough memory. I've gotten it to work under 98se before, but not XP. There was an article in CGW that claims they got it working, yet I tried those tricks listed and it still does not for me. Anyone? Bueller?

Reply 1 of 18, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

What's the error that you receive?

The article in CGW is pretty crappy, IMO. 😉

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 2 of 18, by zero cool

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I get the error "You do not have enough memory to run Betrayal at Krondor. Try using the Make Boot Disk option from INSTALL."
I would try this, except I have no floppy drive. Any thoughts?

Reply 3 of 18, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

AHHHHHHHHH!!! Not the "Zero Cool" nic! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Try this:

Edit the AUTOEXEC.NT file in the SYSTEM32 directory and REM the DOSX line.
It should look like this:

REM Install DPMI support
REM lh %SystemRoot%\system32\dosx

Save the file.

Right-click on Krondor.exe and go to the Memory tab. Max out Expanded Memory.
Click on OK to save. Use the .pif or .EXE to play the game!
UnRem the line you REMed when you are done!

Reply 4 of 18, by zero cool

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Nope, no such luck. What's frustrating is that the CGW article claims that they got it to work, but when I do what they say is necessary to get it to work, it doesn't! Any other ideas? I've tried maximizing all of the memory, setting it all to auto, and unchecking and checking "Protected" and "Uses HMA." Are there any other beneficial ways to change autoexec.nt and config.nt?

Reply 5 of 18, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You can remove ALL TSR's in both and see what happens.

Also configure the game using the SIERRA installer and there may be an option to use/note use expanded memory. Enable/disable this and see what happens.

Reply 8 of 18, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Worst. Article. Ever.

Keep the names of folder containing DOS games under nine characters, as DOS doesn't support long file names.

Saying 'nine' is just going to confuse people. They should have said "eight or less". Jesus.

Windows XP cannot make DOS shortcuts from batch files or other non-executables. If your game runs from a CD and uses a batch file on the hard drive to launch, your configuration options (including memory management) are going to be very limited.

Too bad a batch file effectively IS an executable, and it WILL allow you to make a shortcut with it.
They didn't even mention VDMSound! I mean, jesus! They talk about getting sound working up the wazoo but they don't say shit about the best sound emulator on the "market"!

In any case, you need EMS memory to run Betrayal. VDMSound should solve this for you.

And, FYI, TSR = Terminate and Stay Resident ... basically a program that hides itself in memory and waits for something to happen.

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 9 of 18, by zero cool

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Using VDMS with any amount of EMS or XMS memory set still results in the same error. Yes, I know the CGW article is crappy, but they do list Krondor as working - so long as:

Set Expanded memory to Auto on Properties sheet
Set Music to General MIDI or Roland LAPC-1, MT-32 or MPU401
Add emm=RAM to config.nt

I've done all of these things, including the emm=ram line in VDMS launcher, but it still doesn't work. What next?

Also, when I try to run install and make a boot disk (just to see if it works), it tells me that I need 1482k of extended memory to complete the operation. Using VDMS, I can get this function to work - but not Krondor itself.

Are there any settings I seem to be missing? Something obvious that I've overlooked?

Reply 10 of 18, by zero cool

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

In the VDMS compatibility list, Krondor is there as working with 2k, with the following comments:

*** Betrayal at Krondor (C) MIDI=ok SB=n/a Rem= […]
Show full quote

*** Betrayal at Krondor (C)
MIDI=ok
SB=n/a
Rem=

Reply 16 of 18, by vladr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
zero cool wrote:

Good point! Any other suggestions?

BaK worked fine for me from the first try with VDMSound 2.0.4 on NT4. No tricks. Just make sure, in LaunchPad, to enable EMS. If you still get the error, then also disable DPMI (DOSX) and CD-ROM (MSCDEX) support from the "Advanced" properties. I got it from the first try, so it should be really straightforward.

V.

Reply 17 of 18, by zero cool

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
vladr wrote:

Just make sure, in LaunchPad, to enable EMS. If you still get the error, then also disable DPMI (DOSX) and CD-ROM (MSCDEX) support from the "Advanced" properties.

V.

That's exactly what I just tried. Perhaps XP is different enough from NT4 to make it "tricky" instead of "straightfoward." I don't understand why it doesn't work either, but it doesn't!

Reply 18 of 18, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Nope works for me in 2K/XP too.

Does your EMS work although I think the game states if you need more...