VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Tamerlin

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

First, let me tell you I have browsed these forums and read the threads related to my problems without finding a working solution.

Here is my configuration:

Windows 2000 Professional SP3
AMD Athlon XP 1800+ (1.5~Ghz)
Memory: 448 Mo SDRAM
nVidia GeForce2 MX 100/200 64MB
DirectX 9.0a
Mouse: PS/2 Microsoft Intellimouse 1.2A
SoundBlaster Live! 5.1 (VDMSound emulation working fine)
PROBLEM: mouse cursor limited to a zone in the upper left corner of the screen

I have already downloaded and used PowerDesk 5.0 to search any file with ke386 in its text and the search only returned the videoport.sys files in the C:\WINNT\System\drivers\ and C:\WINNT\System\i386\ folders.
I don't have any file named WINIO, TOTALIO or GIVEIO. Though among the 2623 results ( 😠 ) reported by a research of the files holding 386 in their text there is a file named Asushwio.sys in the C:\WINNT\System\drivers\ folder and three files named aliagp.sys, nv4_disp.dll and nv4_mini.sys in the C:\NVIDIA\winXP_2K\45.23\ (I don't think this last information will be of any help).

Running the game with VDMSound after having closed McAfee VirusScan and disabled the said Asushwio.sys has not changed anything to the problem.

I have also read the .chm files and the various documents designed to help configuring VDMSound and the various drivers like MOUSE2KV.EXE, MOUSECTL.COM or CTMOUSEP.COM but I don't have enough knowledge in softwares and DOS to understand how to use them or to figure out the files they are altering. 🙁

As I was unable to configure adequately the drivers I have copied the needed drivers in the game directory and created a .bat file for the Steel.exe and configured the VDMSound shortcut to launch the Steel.exe through the batch file.

The first batch file was written like this:

NOLFB.COM
MOUSE2KV.EXE
steel.exe

Result: no change in mouse problem though the intro video played adequately (Nolfb.com effect I suppose)

I then wrote a second batch file:

NOLFB.COM
MOUSECTL.COM
steel.exe

Result: mouse problem changed. A move of the mouse moves the cursor out of its limited zone but the said cursor returns at the speed of light (at least) in the upper left corner though it sometimes highlights a button. The path of the cursor is impossibe to control.

I have tried a third batch written like this:

NOLFB.COM
MOUSECTL.COM
SPEEDSET.EXE
steel.exe

Result: same as the second batch file.

Could someone tell me if there is a solution or where I can find a document for those that don't have a degree in computer science?

Pleeeaaaaaase.... 😕

Last edited by Tamerlin on 2003-08-28, 23:55. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 2 of 27, by Tamerlin

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Snover wrote:

Read the documentation for MOUSE2KV. It is not a TSR. The instructions are quite simple. 😀

Already done, since yesterday!

Mouse2KV […]
Show full quote

Mouse2KV

SUMMARY:
Mouse cursor confined to upper left-hand side of screen. Some games or applications that require high-resoultion VESA video modes will experience problems with the mouse cursor under Windows NT4, Windows 2000 and Windows XP.

SYMPTOMS:
The mouse cursor will be confined to the upper or upper-left part of the screen.

CAUSE:
This is caused by the fact that Windows' mouse emulation (int 33h, functions 3, 5 and 6) will only recognize horizontal coordinates between 0 and 639, and vertical coordinates betwen 0 and 199.

Sounds like my problem... 😁

RESOLUTION #1:
Some games support alternate mouse modes that use relative movement instead of absolute coordinates, thus getting around this limitation. Read your game or application's documentation and/or configuration file to see if alternate mouse modes support is available.

Nothing in the manual, documentation and/or configuration file of the game... 🙁

RESOLUTION #2:
Use the attached program to run the game or application. It will stretch the coordinate box to fit the user's requirements.

This is precisely the object of my post: how do I use these drivers? How to activate them in order for them to work with VDMSound?

RESOLUTION #3:
Use an emulator such as Connectix Virtual PC, VMWare, or Bochs to emulate a virtual computer. Then run the game under the operating system that it was designed for. This will remove the limitations imposed on the program by the Host Operating System and allow the game to operate as it should under the guest. (Assuming of course that the emulator includes features such as VESA & mouse support.)

The VMWare emulated VGA driver is the source of other problems and I just have blurred graphics (can't even call them graphics).

UPDATED
Previous program in this thread was created by Vlad R. and only worked for Real Mode games. A new version was created by Peter, initially for XCOM: Apocalypse. Since XCOM is a DPMI game, this new version of MOUSESET, now called Mouse2KV, will also work for other protected-mode games with this mouse problem!

Same problem as RESOLUTION #2's answer.

SUPPORTED GAMES: Magic Carpet 2: The Netherworlds Mechwarrior 2 Mechwarrior 2 Mercenaries SimCity 2000 System Shock (with Mok's […]
Show full quote

SUPPORTED GAMES:
Magic Carpet 2: The Netherworlds
Mechwarrior 2
Mechwarrior 2 Mercenaries
SimCity 2000
System Shock (with Mok's updated EXE)
Wing Commander 3
XCOM: Apocalypse (with Mok's updated EXE)

OK, I knew I would not find any SSI wargame in this kind of lists well before I decided to install VDMSound. 🙄

If you experience this behaviour in any game not listed here please post so on the forums.

This time it seems I have managed to figure out something in this documentation. 😁

Thanks to Vlad R. for the original MOUSESET, and Peter for the new program!

Good, never forget the credits!

PROGRAM SYNTAX: MOUSE2KV.EXE XRES YRES XMULTI YMULTI PROGRAM.EXE XRES : the horizontal resolution the program will be runnin […]
Show full quote

PROGRAM SYNTAX:
MOUSE2KV.EXE XRES YRES XMULTI YMULTI PROGRAM.EXE
XRES : the horizontal resolution the program will be running in (eg. 640 for 640x480)
YRES : the vertical resolution the program will be running in (eg. 480 for 640x480)
XMULTI : Speed multiplier for horizontal movement (8 is good for 640x480)
YMULTI : Speed multiplier for vertical movement (8 is good for 640x480)
PROGRAM.EXE : The program to run.

Same problem as RESOLUTION #2: How do I use this precious syntax? I understand what it does but I don't know what to do with it... 🙁

Be sure to run any other TSRs (such as NOLFB.COM or DOSDRV) before you run MOUSE2KV.

How? The batch file I have created seems to run them in the good order? But what do I do with the program syntax? In which file do I have to correct or add the values? 😕

I am sorry but if you don't have a very good computer skill background you can't figure it out by yourself with such indications.

Reply 3 of 27, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'm not sure how much more clear this can be.

PROGRAM SYNTAX:
MOUSE2KV.EXE XRES YRES XMULTI YMULTI PROGRAM.EXE

XRES : the horizontal resolution the program will be running in (eg. 640 for 640x480)
YRES : the vertical resolution the program will be running in (eg. 480 for 640x480)
XMULTI : Speed multiplier for horizontal movement (8 is good for 640x480)
YMULTI : Speed multiplier for vertical movement (8 is good for 640x480)
PROGRAM.EXE : The program to run.

So if STEEL PANTHERS is running at 640x480, this would be the correct command to run it: "MOUSE2KV.EXE 640 480 8 8 steel.exe"

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 4 of 27, by Tamerlin

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for your answer, after many tests I managed to find the way to write the Steel Panthers batch file in the proper way a few hours before your reply thanks to the Example pif file that can be found in a mouse2kv_v01.zip file I downloaded.

It works if it is written like this:

NOLFB.COM
SPEEDSET.EXE -50
MOUSE2KV.EXE 640 480 8 8 steel.exe

As I wrote it yesterday my problem was not to understand what the settings meant but to understand in what file I had to put those datas and how to write the command.

The batch file needs to be launched once without the -50 setting, I suppose Speedset must first update a file or initialize itself before a speed setting can be set.

Here is a site where I have found a very good tutorial (though it does not work with Steel Panthers it gave me the hint for the way to write the Speedset setting):

http://www.subsowespac.org/sh_xp/silent_hunterxp.shtml

Last edited by Tamerlin on 2003-08-30, 03:42. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 5 of 27, by Tamerlin

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

My batch file is written like this:

NOLFB.COM
SPEEDSET.EXE -50

It seemed to work fine last night but it is no more working.
As soon as a negative setting is associated with Speedset, DOS does not manage to run the game because of an overflow of interrupts causing a "professional error" (it sounds logical as Speedset is adding "interrupts" to slow the game).

A batch file written like this allows DOS to run the game correctly so Speedset itself is not the problem:

NOLFB.COM
SPEEDSET.EXE

Has anyone already encountered this problem or does anyone knows another solution to slow down a DOS game (mo'slo does not work with more than 700 Mhz CPU)?

Reply 7 of 27, by Tamerlin

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for your reply but DOSBox is a bit too complicated to use for me without a real manual or tutorial. 🙁

Besides this I am not sure the Steel Panthers games are running in real mode DOS. The first game of the serie was published in 1995 and I have not seen significant changes in the installation and launch processes between the first and last title published in 1997.

Reply 9 of 27, by Tamerlin

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I don't know if this is the proper way to use this executable but I have downloaded DOS4gw v1.97 and written my batch file like this:

dos4gw.exe
NOLFB.COM
speedset.exe -50

Result: no change, there is still a graphical issue as soon as a setting is associated with speedset.

Reply 10 of 27, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Okay, that is WRONG. heh

First off, use the latest version of DOS/4GW, 2.01a. Rename the executable to DOS4GW.EXE and place it in your game directory. You DO NOT run DOS4GW.EXE directly.

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 15 of 27, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Tamerlin The three actually along with SP:World War II and SP: Main Battle Tank. 😁

Oh, grand. Four titles in the same thread. Even if they use the same engine, don't expect them to behave the same.

I've got nothing on 1, will check to see if there's anything out there.

For 2,
showthread.php?threadid=43&highlight=Steel+Panthers

Unfortunately, the link in that post (and the affiliated site) are apparently dead.

For 3, nothing again..but I have the CD somewhere. So that can be tested.

For MBT, it should run with no problem.

Reply 16 of 27, by Tamerlin

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for your help Nicht Sehr Gut. 😀

Originally posted by Nicht Sehr Gut
Oh, grand. Four titles in the same thread. Even if they use the same engine, don't expect them to behave the same.

To the exception of SP: MBT (which is already slowed down to meet the expectations of the higher CPUs) they are all behaving the same. 🙁

I've got nothing on 1, will check to see if there's anything out there.

Thanks again!

For 2,
showthread.php?threadid=43&highlight=Steel+Panthers

Unfortunately, the link in that post (and the affiliated site) are apparently dead.

I think I have already checked this thread but I think it is worth a new look.

For 3, nothing again..but I have the CD somewhere. So that can be tested.

My only problem with the serie is with Speedset.exe, as soon as a value is associated with speedset there seems to be a problem with the graphics because of the higher number of interrupts. 🙁

For MBT, it should run with no problem.

As I told it before there is no need to slow the MBT game down so my default VDMSound shortcut settings work fine.

I have also tried Mo'Slow 1.32a (with my batch file written like this: moslo.com /50) but it has no effect. As Mo'Slo 1.32a is not supposed to work with CPUs featuring a frequency higer than 700 Mhz I don't know if the batch file is not well written or if this software effectively doesn't run with my Athlon XP 1800+ CPU. 🙁

Last edited by Tamerlin on 2003-09-03, 16:10. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 17 of 27, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Tamerlin [BTo the exception of SP: MBT (which is already slowed down to meet the expectations of the higher CPUs) they are all behaving the same.

To be honest, I don't understand why you're using SPEEDSET. All 3 SteelPanthers worked for me without it on a 1.7GHz processor. Is this that "map-scrolling" thing?

I think I have already checked this thread but I think it is worth a new look.

Well, like I said it appears to be a dead site now... I can't even find an archive of it on the "Wayback Machine".

My only problem with the serie is with Speedset.exe, as soon as a value is associated with speedset...

Let me be frank...
*changes name*
*changes it back because it feels silly*
I personally consider slow-down tools to be the tools of Satan.

Ok, that's a bit too much...but if I found out the primary coding for them was outsourced to Hell, well...Let's just say I wouldn't be surprised.

Only use them when you absolutely have to...
..and even then you shouldn't. The problems they cause are often as bad as the problems they solve...

Having said all that, I don't understand why your GF2 video card has this mouse issue, I've never seen it with my GF3. I'm amazed at how critical the choice of video cards still is, in the era of XP.

Having said all that, you appear to have just enough horsepower to run this in the latest CVS release of DosBox.

I tested 1,3, and the demo for 2 and they ran fine (except for video, which much be skipped if you wish to preserve your sanity).

Understand, that they will be slow, but the VESA support implemented in the CVS version works well and the mouse issue goes away. Choose the most basic SoundBlaster and you should be good to go.

Remember though, there's no support for the CVS version.

Reply 18 of 27, by Schadenfreude

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Nicht Sehr Gut wrote:

Well, like I said it appears to be a dead site now... I can't even find an archive of it on the "Wayback Machine".

It is, actually, there.
http://web.archive.org/web/20020603003407/htt … sandbox/xp.html

But now it's here, too:
http://www.longhighway.com/sandbox/xp.html

Always good to follow email domains, Google email addresses, go back to the root domain for the site, etc.

Reply 19 of 27, by Tamerlin

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Nicht Sehr Gut wrote:

Is this that "map-scrolling" thing?

Exactly! The shortest move to the border of the screen brings me at the other side of the map... 🙁

Having said all that, I don't understand why your GF2 video card has this mouse issue, I've never seen it with my GF3. I'm amazed at how critical the choice of video cards still is, in the era of XP.

Seems to be an issue related to the GeForce2 MX cards, the problem has been solved with MOUSE2KV.

Having said all that, you appear to have just enough horsepower to run this in the latest CVS release of DosBox.

I would like to test DosBox but I have not found a manual or tutorial to learn how to use it, actually I don't know how to configure it for a game.