VOGONS

First post, by Paddan1000

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have a Sound Blaster Pro 1, the old one you know, with the dual OPL2 and jumpers and all.
Both sound effects and OPL2 MIDI work, but the sound from my MT-32 is not forwarded when I connect its output to the "Line In" or "Mic In" of the Sb Pro. Why not?
(The MT-32 gets its MIDI signals from a Voyetra MIDI-interface and works perfectly with a separate speaker.)
I don't use any drivers or anything. I've only added a SET BLASTER line to autoexec.bat. Do I need some driver or mixing software to activate the "Line In"?

Reply 1 of 35, by pianoman72

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yup, you need to use the mixerset utility which came with the soundcard software.
However, interestingly enough, unlike the SBPro 2 specific mixerset, you do not need to actually install the sound card drivers themselves, but only point to the mixerset utility in autoexec.bat, i.e. c:\sbpro\mixerset /p /q.

Hope that helps.

Reply 2 of 35, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If you get the feeling that your MT-32 doesn't sound as good anymore, it's because the mixer on the SB Pro is quite basic...

I highly recommend using an external mixer

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 5 of 35, by pianoman72

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hmm, maybe I'm using a different version of the mixer with my SB Pro 2. I tried it without the drivers at first, but a message popped up telling me I need to install the low level driver for the mixerset to work.
If you wouldn't mind sharing the version of your mixer app, I would surely appreciate it.

Reply 6 of 35, by Amigaz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just checked my Compaq 386 box I have an original Sb Pro CT1330 in...you have to have the drivers installed and then run SBP-SET with the correct switches

The Sb Pro 2 doesn't need the drivers on the harddrive when using the latest drivers

My retro computer stuff: https://lychee.jjserver.net/#16136303902327

Reply 7 of 35, by pianoman72

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

How strange, since I'm using the original CT1330 disks copied to my hardrive (on my SBPro 1, of course), provided by Cloudshatze some time ago, reconstituted from disk images that he uploaded to us.

No drivers are loaded into config.sys or autoexec.bat, except for the mixerset heading, as I previously indicated.

Reply 8 of 35, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
pianoman72 wrote:

Hmm, maybe I'm using a different version of the mixer with my SB Pro 2. I tried it without the drivers at first, but a message popped up telling me I need to install the low level driver for the mixerset to work.
If you wouldn't mind sharing the version of your mixer app, I would surely appreciate it.

I dug around the web for it. I think it's the official Creative app...
http://www.dcee.net/Files/Music/Blaster/
sbp-mix is the one.

I'm about 90% sure here. Not at home right now to verify.

Reply 9 of 35, by Amigaz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
pianoman72 wrote:

How strange, since I'm using the original CT1330 disks copied to my hardrive (on my SBPro 1, of course), provided by Cloudshatze some time ago, reconstituted from disk images that he uploaded to us.

No drivers are loaded into config.sys or autoexec.bat, except for the mixerset heading, as I previously indicated.

No drivers need to be loaded in the autoexec.bat or config.sys, yes...

SBP-SET is in the C:\sbpro dir but you need to add it manually to your autoexec.bat since it's not done by the installer

Reply 10 of 35, by pianoman72

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks for the link, swaaye. I will give that a shot.

Amigaz, we're on the same page then. I meant that the drivers are not loaded as TSRs in autoexec.bat, so to me they are not installed. But I see what you meant by having the installer from the floppy place or unzip the files to the directory on the hard drive, in order to be able to then use the sbp-mix file with autoexec.bat

Reply 11 of 35, by pianoman72

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Update:
swaaye, of course that app. works, since it's actually from the SB Pro 1 set of drivers. However, if you use the later mixerset meant to be for the SB Pro 2, you will find that you would actually need to load the sound drivers first in autoexec.bat.

You have a good point though, as I could just use the same mixer as the first SB Pro 1.

Reply 13 of 35, by pianoman72

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I wish I knew. Maybe there is some extra functionality on the updated mixer, which could depend on the drivers, perhaps?

In any case, I have no memory problem with loading the drivers, as I am using QEMM 386 to free up enough conventional memory, and have not run into any major incompatibilities while playing the games on the 486.

Reply 14 of 35, by rfnagel

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
pianoman72 wrote:

However, if you use the later mixerset meant to be for the SB Pro 2, you will find that you would actually need to load the sound drivers first in autoexec.bat.

Just out of curioisty, what drivers does the mixer require to be loaded? Just a-wondering, as I never remembered any of my SB ISA cards (SB1/SBPro/SB16/AWE32/etc...) needing any drivers for the DOS mixer app to function.

Rich ¥Weeds¥ Nagel
http://www.richnagel.net

Reply 15 of 35, by Paddan1000

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Ok. I installed the SB Pro mixer and the Line In works now, but I have another problem with the card.
Some games won't recognize it as a Soundblaster and not play any sound effects. The games I've tried so far are:

King's Quest IV
Quest for Glory 1 (VGA)
Cannon Fodder

None of these games have native SB Pro support, only standard Soundblaster. They can play "Adlib" music through the card, though. Most other games work perfectly with the card and all games worked when I was using a AWE64 Gold for sound effects.

Reply 16 of 35, by Amigaz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Paddan1000 wrote:
Ok. I installed the SB Pro mixer and the Line In works now, but I have another problem with the card. Some games won't recognize […]
Show full quote

Ok. I installed the SB Pro mixer and the Line In works now, but I have another problem with the card.
Some games won't recognize it as a Soundblaster and not play any sound effects. The games I've tried so far are:

King's Quest IV
Quest for Glory 1 (VGA)
Cannon Fodder

None of these games have native SB Pro support, only standard Soundblaster. They can play "Adlib" music through the card, though. Most other games work perfectly with the card and all games worked when I was using a AWE64 Gold for sound effects.

Does the game sound blaster settings match your Sb Pro resources?
(IRQ, DMA, PORT)

Reply 17 of 35, by Paddan1000

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yes, in Cannon Fodder it does. In the Sierra games' setups I can't select system resources, but I have the line "SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 T2" in my autoexec.bat and it matches the cards jumper settings.

Reply 18 of 35, by pianoman72

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

[/quote]Just out of curioisty, what drivers does the mixer require to be loaded? Just a-wondering, as I never remembered any of my SB ISA cards (SB1/SBPro/SB16/AWE32/etc...) needing any drivers for the DOS mixer app to function.[/quote]

Here are my sbpro 2 drivers, which were installed by the floppy installation utility:

config.sys
DEVICEHIGH=C:\SBPRO\DRV\CTSBPRO.SYS /UNIT=0 /BLASTER=A:220 I:7 D:1
DEVICEHIGH=C:\SBPRO\DRV\CTMMSYS.SYS

autoexec.bat
SET BLASTER=A220 I7 D1 T4
SET SOUND=C:\SBPRO
SET MIDI=SYNTH:1 MAP:E
C:\SBPRO\SBPSET /P /Q

I know what you mean by not needing any drivers for the mixer to work on the SB16; on my ct1740, I also do not need drivers whatsoever, in order to use the mixer, but it seems that this SBPro 2 version is really tied to using the drivers.

Reply 19 of 35, by Amigaz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Paddan1000 wrote:

Yes, in Cannon Fodder it does. In the Sierra games' setups I can't select system resources, but I have the line "SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 T2" in my autoexec.bat and it matches the cards jumper settings.

These games you are trying to get SB sfx in are quite ancient and expect the original SB which used IRQ 7 as default.

Jumper your card to IRQ 7 and change your SET BLASTER line