VOGONS

Reply 40 of 82, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
leileilol wrote:
True...ish. One edge JK had than Quake's software was the area tinting to simulate colored lighting in certain areas, it's more […]
Show full quote
swaaye wrote:

I do recall in previews that the JK software mode was touted as having better graphics than Quake software mode and that is definitely true. They weren't even considering 3D hardware at the time though. There was no GLQuake yet.

True...ish. One edge JK had than Quake's software was the area tinting to simulate colored lighting in certain areas, it's more like Duke3D/SW style in that rather. Vertex lighting however was a step back from lightmaps. There's also alpha-mapped windows and water. Jedi Knight also had better model precision with the whole skeletal mesh thing. Some things are virtually matched (particle system and sprites). I recall the intense babbling between the graphics of Q2Test and the JK Demo 😁

Quake had affine texture mapping in software.

I should know a bit from this since i'm trying to juice up Quake's software renderer. 😜

How does Bethesda's XnGine (Daggerfall/Skynet) stack up? Skynet seemed to have better model animation than JK. Can't speak to the texture mapping. It also seemed to run a bit faster, but probably because they were still using sprites everywhere (especially in Daggerfall).

Reply 41 of 82, by unmei220

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I found another list of s3d games, although I think some are not games:

S3 ViRGE/DX Game List

Title Companies
===================== ============================
Stratosphere Acclaim Entertainment Inc.
Mech Warrior 2 Activision
Confirmed Kill EIDOS Interactive
Flying Nightmares 2 EIDOS Interactive
Terracide EIDOS Interactive
FX Fighter Turbo GTE Entertainment
Actua Golf Gremlin
Actua Soccer Gremlin
Descent II Interplay
Microleague Baseball Microleague
Mega Race 2 Mindscape
Demon Driver Philips
Destruction Derby Psygnosis
Havoc Reality Bytes
Rocket Jockey Rocket Science
Terminal Velocity Terminal Reality
Brender Argonaut
3D FX Asymetrix
Web 3D Asymetrix
Pioneer Caligari
Pioneer Pro Caligari
True Space 2 Caligari
Render Ware Criterion
Stereo VR Media Synergy
VR WorkShop+ Media Synergy

Reply 42 of 82, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
HunterZ wrote:

How does Bethesda's XnGine (Daggerfall/Skynet) stack up? Skynet seemed to have better model animation than JK. Can't speak to the texture mapping. It also seemed to run a bit faster, but probably because they were still using sprites everywhere (especially in Daggerfall).

XnGine was disgusting. Poor Z handling and also the clipping issues is horrible 🙁 Whatever Bullfrog's terrain engine was for Magic Carpet/Hi Octane/Dungeon Keeper/Syndicate Wars was *WAY BETTER* than that XnGine stuff. Infact Magic Carpet is legendary for its uncanny-for-1994 ahead-of-the-damn-time software renderer, I really wish EA released the source code to *that*.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 47 of 82, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

VESA feature connector. You could get various expansion cards for video cards back in the day, like MPEG decoders. They were very rarely used though.

The card is a Number Nine Reality 332. (press release) I see a typical Number Nine hidden PCB message. Looks like "She Loves You" for this card. 😁

Reply 48 of 82, by tannerstevo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
swaaye wrote:

I see a typical Number Nine hidden PCB message. Looks like "She Loves You" for this card. 😁

Just out of curiosity, where do you see these "hidden messages"?

Reply 51 of 82, by YCH

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Holy shit I just realized that the entire Number Nine brand is based on Beatles stuff. All these years I thought to myself "man what a weird company name." Only after familiarizing myself with the entire Beatles catalogue that am I finally now capable of bridging the disconnect.

"Number Nine"

"Revolution"

"Ticket to Ride"

"She Loves You"

...all Beatles song titles or lyrics.

Reply 53 of 82, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
leileilol wrote:

One of their 1995 video cards had a "♫ When i'm sixty-four ♫" message on their BIOS startup too. Forgot which though

Hehe. The BIOS POST screen on this Virge card I am testing says:

9FX Reality 332 ... is all you need

Reply 55 of 82, by bushwack

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Even neater when they put it inside the chip. (scroll down a little for the cool stuff)

http://micro.magnet.fsu.edu/creatures/index.html

And Happy Thanksgiving!

Reply 57 of 82, by bytesaber

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Any idea if the S3 Virge patch for Terminal Velocity works on any of the Virge chips? Tempted to find a GX2.

Can the 3d acceleration be done in real dos?

Reply 58 of 82, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

TV didn't recognize my Virge GX. So I have a feeling that it will only run on the original Virge and maybe the Virge VX.

The game runs pretty well on the original Virge anyway though.