Common searches

The Dame Was Loaded

Topic actions

First post, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

At last i've been able to get it running under DosBox in WinXP. This one's a bitch to run. It may be required to set frameskip to 1 or 2 and 2500+ assigned cycles. Anyway it is still running quite jerky but at last it is playable. You've got to have good ear capabilities, though...

Reply 3 of 20, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by eL_PuSHeR Thanks, Snover. I already put some kind of generic hint to make more games able to run.

Oddly, it seems to work fine with VDMSound except for the in-game movies. They all play in silence.

Reply 4 of 20, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Good day, Nich Sehr Gut

How can you play a game that is mostly FMV *without sound*?
It's like playing Gabriel Knight II without sound, is it not?

EDIT: Hmm, Forgive me. Yes, yes I had already tried it under VDMSound and it worked but my main problem was huge timer issues. The game sound was too jerky. I spent half an hour making some speedset adjustments but to no avail. Either the game ran too slow or too fast. I was not able to find the right value.

Last edited by eL_PuSHeR on 2003-09-06, 05:45. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 5 of 20, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by eL_PuSHeR Good day, Nich Sehr Gut

Guten tag, mein freund.

How can you play a game that is mostly FMV *without sound*?

Ooo, I detect bitterness. *heh* My fault, I should've been more clear that my post was primarily an observation, not a criticism.

I noticed your post and didn't understand why you weren't using VDMSound, so I tried it myself. The thing that prods my curiosity is why? Why is all in-game audio fine, and all FMV audio completely broken (even when forced down to SoundBlaster 1.0 mode)?

...but my main problem was huge timer issues. The game sound was too jerky. I spent half an hour making some speedset adjustments but to no avail. Either the game ran too slow or too fast. I was not able to find the right value.

Odd. I didn't notice this from my testing. I presume there are timer-sensitive scenes that are impossible to play without slowdown?

Reply 6 of 20, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Nich, forgive me if i sounded too rude in my previous post. It was not my intention. Going back to the main issue, so you are saying it works well under VDMSound for you, even if some sounds are missing? What machine do you have? I have an Athlon XP 1800+. Odd. I will re-check game functionality ignoring FMV playing for now to see if the game is still playable, but I think you got most of the information by hearing characters talk.

Reply 7 of 20, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I made a huge improvement. I was tinkering with the "Try to reduce CPU usage" which I had disabled and setting it two or three notches from the start (low cpu usage) I now get a almost synchronized audio + video, making it playable. GOOD!.

Reply 8 of 20, by Nico72

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,
I tried The Dame Was Loaded with DosBox 0.58 (on win XP). The install.exe start and install the game, but the THEVOICE.EXE and DAME.EXE programs makes dosbox crash. Can you help me please?
Thanks!

Reply 10 of 20, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by eL_PuSHeR Nich, forgive me if i sounded too rude in my previous post. It was not my intention.

Relax, Pusher. You've been the epitome of courtesy. In fact I'd like to extract some of your courtesy and force-feed it those who need it (wow, there's some charming imagery).

so you are saying it works well under VDMSound for you, even if some sounds are missing?

The non-FMV parts seem fine.

What machine do you have?

All the info is stashed under the profile button for brevity.

Originally posted by eL_PuSHeR I now get a almost synchronized audio + video, making it playable. GOOD!.

Ok, so you're saying you're getting audio with the FMV scenes?

Reply 11 of 20, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Nico72 I tried The Dame Was Loaded with DosBox 0.58 (on win XP).

The official release of DosBox has no support for any protected-mode games (some 386 games, virtually all 486 and Pentium DOS games use protected mode).

You can either try VDMSound with it or the CVS release of DosBox from here. Be aware that there's basically no support for the CVS version because it's not an official release.

Reply 12 of 20, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Good day. It's 7:30 am in the morning and I just have 15 mins left before going to work.

Nich Sehr Gut: I have not checked your profile yet (I will do it later). For now, I will tell you that The Dame Was Loaded is working fine for me in the intro sequences (after you accept the case). That is FMV, right?. I have not played further, yet. So, for me, sound seems to be working. Also, when exitting the game, Scott Anger (or whatever he is called) makes a fun statement, so I'm guessing sound is also working in non FMV screens (when you exit, you are staring at your desktop, which seems to be the main menu).

EDIT: Well, looked at your profile and your hardware combination seems a quite interesting one for me. I don't know anything about the Philips PCS706 sound chipset. Is it good? Mine is an integrated CMI8738 w/SPDIF output (whatever it is), which although not bad, isn't too good either. It comes with a MS-DOS SB's emulator which is quite bad btw.

Last edited by eL_PuSHeR on 2003-09-08, 05:41. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 13 of 20, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by eL_PuSHeR Good day. It's 7:30 am in the morning

It is? *heh* Reminds me of the time I met someone from New Zealand in "Hexen II" Multiplayer...except there was more lag then.

I will tell you that The Dame Was Loaded is working fine for me in the intro sequences (after you accept the case). That is FMV, right?.

Yes, the intro sequence where he walks through the alleyway and the scene where the woman enters your office to ask for your services are FMV, basically any scene where the background is moving.

EDIT: Well, looked at your profile and your hardware combination seems a quite interesting one for me.

The motherboard has been very good to me, very reliable. Plus, it's compatible with UMBPCI. Quite handy in DOS/Win9x.

I don't know anything about the Philips PCS706 sound chipset. Is it good?

I think so:
http://www.digit-life.com/articles/philipsedge/
http://www.active-hardware.com/english/review … ards/psc706.htm

One thing the reviews usually don't tell you is the DOS compatibility features (In "realmode" DOS"):
SoundBlaster Pro compatibility
The DOS driver creates a "Virtual IRQ" for you if 7 isn't available.
You can use the built-in wavetable in DOS (swap between it and FM using a DOS tool).
Hardware FM Synthesizer

If you run the DOS program within a Windows command prompt, it will automatically expand the stereo output into a simulated surround sound output (if you want).

BTW, I'm not sure if the more recent versions of this card still have the DOS support features.

Mine is an integrated CMI8738 w/SPDIF output (whatever it is), which although not bad, isn't too good either. It comes with a MS-DOS SB's emulator which is quite bad btw.

That sums it up. Don't demand too much and it's fine.

Reply 14 of 20, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I've got a big big problem now. The keyboard doesn't work at all. That means i cannot even save a game because i cannot type in its description. Any help would be very much appreciated.

Reply 15 of 20, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by eL_PuSHeR I've got a big big problem now. The keyboard doesn't work at all.

Sorry, Pusher. Same thing happened here. *sigh* Looks like I'll have to get a faster processor and run it with DosBox.

Reply 16 of 20, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I've tried to bind the two main executables (DAME_CD1.GOB & DAME_CD2.GOB), which are using DOS4/GW DOS extender to PMODE/W, but they aren't supported. Blast it. Does anybody knows any other app to change LE stubs?.

Reply 17 of 20, by Schadenfreude

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
eL_PuSHeR wrote:

I've tried to bind the two main executables (DAME_CD1.GOB & DAME_CD2.GOB), which are using DOS4/GW DOS extender to PMODE/W, but they aren't supported. Blast it. Does anybody knows any other app to change LE stubs?.

Sunsys BIND (to DOS32/A extender)
http://dos32a.sourceforge.net/html/util/1.html

But my thought - aren't the GOB files compressed/encrypted? They'll need to be uncompressed before doing that, usually.

Reply 19 of 20, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Oooops!

Due to my incompetence, 🤣, I made a typo when I first tried binding the stub. Replaced the Stub with the PMODE/W one, but to no avail. Now the game crashes after initial loading. BTW: Is DOS32 free?