VOGONS

First post, by wocko1

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

G'day all, I'm setting up two machines for my retro-gaming desire. One is for running old DOS and Windows games, and the other is going to be an MAME arcade cabinet. The old bloke is helping me with building the cabinet for the MAME machine.

So far I got

Project Eggman (MAME cabinet)
* Intel Pentium D 940
* 2GB DDR RAM
* Radeon HD3650 AGP
* 500GB SATA HD
* Onboard Sound
* NEC 22" CRT monitor
* XP Pro
* Maximus Arcade shell
* MAME
* <getting> X-Arcade Tankstick
* <getting> Working Coin Mech

Project Nega (Retro PC Gaming Rig)
* Intel Pentium D 820
* 1GB DDR RAM
* Radeon X1950Pro AGP
* 250GB SATA HD
* Samsung SyncMaster 17" CRT
* Roland MT-100 (for MT-32 games)
* Roland Sound Canvas SC-55mkII (for General MIDI games)
* Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS
* XP Pro
* DosBox
* GR-LIDA Dosbox shell
* ScummVM

I'll attach photos as the time come. What do you all think? Any suggestions are accepted

Cheers

Reply 1 of 8, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Those are pretty modern for retro rigs 🤣 😜

But in the end it ofcourse comes down to what type of games you're interested in playing and I've heard mostly good things about DosBox.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 2 of 8, by wocko1

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Those are pretty modern for retro rigs
But in the end it ofcourse comes down to what type of games you're interested in playing and I've heard mostly good things about DosBox.

Well the reason that they are both Pentium Ds was the fact that older hardware is getting hard to get parts for, DOSbox is good enough to run most if not all DOS games without any problems. Old hardware would cost too much to run, finding all the parts.

Reply 3 of 8, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I just saw you mentioned ScummVM!

For Lucasarts Games, specifically Monkey Island 2, ScummVM has this "Mixed Adlib mode". I recommend you use this mode!

Reason is because Lucasarts did a half arsed job for the MT-32 implementation. Many sound effects are missing (no fire crackling at the intro, no mug cleaning noise at the bar, no bats in the swamp...).

"Mixed Adlib Mode" gives you MT-32 music and Sound Blaster sound effects! Something the real game simply didn't support! I think this is the only game where this is useful, I believe Fate of Atlantis supported Sound Blaster and MT-32, at least the talkie version.

Regarding Retro PCs. Best case scenario they are free. Ask friends and family, but up an add, look on the side of roads. I recommend an old Pentium as they are new enough to be found easily and with cache disabled make a decent 386 / 486 equivalent. But yea DOSBox is great and you will have more time actually playing games. At the moment I hardly get to this, to busy mucking around with hardware 🤣

386 / 486 now that's where things get hard 🤣

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 4 of 8, by wocko1

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well funnily enough I got those two particular computer as hand-me-downs as I am a computer tech and I had to transfer their stuff on to their new machines. Originally Project Nega had a crappy Celeron D in it, but since it was a Socket 775 and I had a spare Pentium D 820 lying around from a machine that was lightning struck, I decided what the hell, upgrade it. Project Eggman, was similar, but I got the mobo, CPU and RAM and graphics card off my mate, since he upgraded his machine. But trust me, Dosbox did need a lot of tinkering to get some games running right, just like mucking around with CONFIG.SYS on an old 486 just to free up some bloody memory. GRRRRRR!! Just like when my brother had his old 486DX33 with 4MB RAM and he had to close every damn TSR just so he could play DOOM! He ended up upgrading to 8MB but it did cost him a bomb back then, but at least DOOM ran without any troubles. Those were the days, I was only a kid back then,

But thanks for the pointer about ScummVM, had similar problems with some of the older Sierra games like Space Quest 1 VGA, where you can't have the MT-32 music and Sound Blaster sound effects at the same time, but that was fixed with a modified sound driver. I'll give MI2 a go with what you said, loved that old game.

Reply 5 of 8, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

For DOSBox I can recommend "D-Fend Reloaded". It's user friendly and even advanced configs are sooo easy thanks to GUI!

It has DOSBox as part of the install and also features auto update. Quite handy 😀

Reply 6 of 8, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

For DOSBox I can recommend "D-Fend Reloaded". It's user friendly and even advanced configs are sooo easy thanks to GUI!

It has DOSBox as part of the install and also features auto update. Quite handy 😀

I second that! I have been using D-Fend since it started as "D-Fend" in the beginning. Of all the dosbox frontends, this is my only favourite.

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers

Reply 7 of 8, by wocko1

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm using gr-lida as my shell at the moment plus I got my synth set up. I should be getting a first gen MT-32 soon as well. I wanted to get the best from my dos games. How is my hardware so far? Should I get other synths etc for better dos game experience?

Reply 8 of 8, by wocko1

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Here is my synth collection so far. An MT-32 (old first gen model), CM-32L, and an SC-55mkII. MT-100's getting sold. Also waiting on an MU-80

Attachments

• Filename
    P1000331.JPG
    File size
    2.35 MiB
    Downloads
    177 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception