VOGONS

First post, by Sharky

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I cant get Origin's Ultima 6 or Martian Dreams to play within DOSBox .58. The introducory screen plays alright, striaght to the Menu where I get an unusual disk error when selecting Journey Onward in order to play the game(s).

It says in the DOXBox Games section they are support them with no problems.

Well neither of those 2 games plays for me, but have no problem at all running them within a normal DOS-Window or True-DOS.

Anyone here know what I mean ? 😕

Reply 1 of 8, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Sharky I cant get Origin's Ultima 6 or Martian Dreams to play within DOSBox .58. The introducory screen plays alright, striaght to the Menu where I get an unusual disk error when selecting Journey Onward in order to

Give us the error as accurately as possible. I've run Ultima 6 in DosBox a number of times and never had this.

Reply 2 of 8, by Sharky

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ok, here goes, when I boot Ultima 6 up in DOSBOX, everything seems to be working ok. (Easy enough for someone to quickly test it and say its supported).

The Intro runs well and that until I click on Journey Onward.

(Same problem occurs also in Martin Dreams as this used the same engine as Ultima 6)

They will play without DOSBox. (But way too fast!)

The following screenshot is as far as I can get into "playing" the game after clicking on Jouney Onward.

Attachments

• u6.jpg
    Filename
    u6.jpg
    File size
    35.24 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 3 of 8, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Does your Ultima6 directory have a SAVEGAME subdirectory inside of it? Inside that directory should be files like the one in the attached list. None of those files should be write-protected and it should not be in a write-protected location (like a CD-ROM).

Attachments

• Filename
    list.txt
    File size
    3.57 KiB
    Downloads
    748 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 4 of 8, by Sharky

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

😕 Well, its got me out of ideas.

Yes, Ive got the SAVEGAME folder with the files, none are write-protected.
And not running it from a CD-ROM either.

All, I can guess, maybe it wont run on my OS. (Windows ME)

Maybe Ultima 6 only runs on Macs with DOSBox 0.58

Reply 5 of 8, by mirekluza

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

No. I have just tried it (using CVS from yesterday on Windows XP), fought the starting battle with gargoyles and no problems.

I used it before on Windows 98 SE. Your problem has nothing to do with OS in which DOSBOX runs.

Mirek

Reply 6 of 8, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Sharky Yes, Ive got the SAVEGAME folder with the files, none are write-protected.
And not running it from a CD-ROM either.

Well, that's an error coming from the program having a problem with a subdirectory. Either it can't access it, or it can't write to it. Make sure that the directory itself isn't write-protected.

You might try deleting all the files in that directory, and create a new character to start with...

Maybe Ultima 6 only runs on Macs with DOSBox 0.58

Err...No. It runs on my 98SE and XP. The only way the OS might be the issue is if you were running Linux and not all of the filenames were lowercase.

Reply 7 of 8, by Sharky

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I think ive now discovered the source of my problem.

I've been running my DOS Games with DOSBox using a Front-End (GameBase by James Barrows) if you heard of it.

I just relieased when it unzips Ultima 6 into a temporary folder its not creating the SAVEGAME sub-directory or any subdirectories for that matter.

That also would be the cause of Martin Dreams not working either.

Thanks for your help Nicht Sehr Gut, I know the source of my problem. 😀

Reply 8 of 8, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Sharky I've been running my DOS Games with DOSBox using a Front-End (GameBase by James Barrows) if you heard of it.

I just relieased when it unzips Ultima 6 into a temporary folder its not creating the SAVEGAME sub-directory or any subdirectories for that matter.

Very naughty. Another reason to not use a "front end" for DosBox.