VOGONS

Common searches

RB3D works 99%

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by Tanyrhiew

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Just discovered Glidos by chance while searching for a working wrapper for RB3D. Glidos (or am i correct in saying that its the updated versionof OpenGlide?) works 99%.

Problems I've noticed so far are :

• resolution only goes upto 800x600.
  • you need to reset your desktop resolution to the resoultion you whish to play at.
  • tringles in ground textures appear at low levels (maybe realted to the 2mb texture limit that RB2 has)
  • At low level graphic corruption at low levels - cockpit graphics remain OK but external graphics temporarily to be replaced by a solid green screen - difficult to explain wo screenshot but its llivable with as it only occurs for a fraction of a second.
  • Slewable cockpit alpha broblem. Alpha is not done correctly - guns texture have no transparency
  • Occasional slowdown but soon dissappears

Tested on Athlon 900, 512MB RAM, Geforce 3 Ti200 (Dets 40.41) and win2k (sp2). DX8.1

All in all very encouraging!

Would you be interested in ironing out the few problems listed above (The game is extremely playable using Glidos at present - just that these niggles need ironing out).

Worth checking the SWWISA forum on delphi (I'll post there) (link obtainable from http://www.swwisa.net).

RB3d running on Geforce cards is the holy grail for a large number of Flight SIm fans - Please help 😀

PS - excuse the poor typing

Reply 1 of 177, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Tanyrhiew wrote:

Just discovered Glidos by chance while searching for a working wrapper for RB3D. Glidos (or am i correct in saying that its the updated versionof OpenGlide?) works 99%.

No, Paul uses OpenGlide as part of GliDOS, but you're getting much more. BTW, I thought "Red Baron 3D" was a Win9x title.

RB3d running on Geforce cards is the holy grail for a large number of Flight SIm fans

Just remember that you're in competition with everyone else's "favorite" game. There are still loads of people who want "Grand Prix Legends", "Jane's F15", or "Jane's Longbow 2", etc... to work as well.

Reply 2 of 177, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This is very interesting. I'd also like to know if it is a Windows based game or DOS. Are you sure you are using Glidos, and not just the Glide2x.dll file (which is the updated OpenGlide wrapper)?
To be using just OpenGlide, you would have needed to copy Glide2x.dll from the Glidos folder into the game's folder or into a system folder (can't remember exactly where). Whereas, to use the full Glidos server with a DOS game, you would have needed to either update glidos.ini with some new game details or copied a few files to the game's folder (glide2x.ovl, and if WinXP PollPipe.dll).

If it is a Windows based game then you should also try evoodoo.

In any case, I'm interested in correcting the glitches. No promises as to when though.

Reply 3 of 177, by Tanyrhiew

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

RB3D started out as a directdraw only game that worked on any win32 system (even NT4). Sierra then produced the 3dfx version as a patch (also worked in NT4 with a 1st gen voodoo card).

My apologies I shopuld have stated more clearly that I was using only the glide2x.dll. This is put straight into the game directory. Evoodoo thoigh stating that it works with RB does not infact work, though the latest version now corrects major graphic glitches but runs at 1-3 fps. The OpenGlide you produce runs at native speed (compared to the PCI voodoo3 2000 i also have in my machine).

Its worth visiting the delphi forums linked to from the swwisa site - you'll get an idea of the size of the RB3D community (once news gets around of a working glide wrapper folks will come back as there is a dearth of WW1 sims.)#

I now intend to see if the glide version of DID's EF2000 works with Glidos.

Many thanks for your prompt replies.

Tanyhriew

Reply 6 of 177, by Winkle

User metadata

It works but then it stops then it works again. A few corrupt terrain tiles when the plane is sitting on the ground but in the air the terrain looks fine. FPS seem to be good but the fps counter doesn't work (no biggie) Also Online chat doesn't work either. I am not using glidos just the glide2x.dll. When I start the game it tells me I have outdated glide drivers. I tried using glidos but the game will not start.

Reply 12 of 177, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

BTW - I jotted a bit about the absolute latest version of eVoodoo at the end of July. Read the last note on this thread.
showthread.php?threadid=5

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 16 of 177, by Hentzau

User metadata

Heres a working link to the Red Baron 3D demo

http://www.3dgamers.com/games/redbaron2/ The executable title is rb3ddemo.exe Possibly some of you gurus could have a look at making a modified Glide2x.dll for RB3D available for purchase. I'm pretty sure you could sell quite a few copies as I think RB3D fans would be happy to shell out some money to play on/finally buy a new system. The dll from Glidos definitely seems very close in comparison to others.

Just don't laugh when you start up the demo, major graphic improvements have been made by the community that make it worth playing to us. 🤣

Reply 18 of 177, by Thor

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Vogons,

For those of you that read the unedited post here earlier, my bad on this one.😮

After removing the one size too small winged helmet from my fat head 😉 I made a startling revelation and will post any future discovered answers to your Forum gents regarding Glide type wrappers and the Red Baron Win9x based game. (redirect this post as needed moderators)

🤣 - seems in my haste to see if this rumored wrapper for DD cards would work I simply overlooked the comments at Evoodoo site.

Do wanna says thanks for any and all input now and for the future.

Good Luck & Salute! on all your projects,

😎

Last edited by Thor on 2002-09-05, 18:44. Edited 1 time in total.

Thor

Reply 19 of 177, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I tested the Redbaron 3D demo using eVoodoo v3.24, OpenGlide v0.05a, and Paul's variant of OpenGlide's DLL.

OpenGlide didn't work for me at all. eVoodoo did work but performed horribly. 1-3 FPS and frequent, seemingly random texture corruption, plus the graphics' were not "clean", seemed almost slightly "out-of-focus".

Paul's modified OpenGlide DLL performed just as Tanyrhiew had said. Very well, indeed. Especially since Paul wasn't even modifying it for that purpose.